kategreensted

Worried about bedtime! Please reassure

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could reassure me about how long bunnies can stay in their eglu overnight. At the moment I am letting them out at 6:30am and letting them free in the run all day until 8:00pm where I pop them back in for the night. I feel dreadfully guilty about closing the door to the eglu as they are such playful and lively bunnies and don't look pleased at being enclosed even if they do have a good amount of room in there. I don't want to leave them out for the night as they are only 9 weeks old and I don't feel comfortable with that idea. The other option is to put them to bed a lot later. Am I keeping them in there for too long?? Replies very welcome. Thanks.

We keep rabbits at work in a wooden hutch and the rabbits get locked into the hutch at 8 at night and come out at 7.30 in the morning & they are very happy bunnies! :D

I really wouldnt feel guilty as your rabbits are out all day and as they are so young i imagine they will spend quite a bit of their time sleeping.

Im not a bunny expert but i hope thats helpful. :D

Like Clare, I also leave my eglu door open every night. I tried closing it one night but Georgie made such a racket trying to get out that I had to open the door again! You should see the scratches and bite marks on the door!

I'd also recommend the use of a clear plastic shower curtain over the run. I've got 2 to make sure that no water enters the run since our patio is a little bit uneven. Mind you Georgie always seems to a little gap and enjoys sitting out in the rain!

Hi

About 2 days ago i forgot to put the rabbit away and in the night the fox came and did a big poo right next to her run but my mum woke up at about 2:00 in the mornig and put her away then. Phew.But my dad woke up for work and let her out at 7:00.

By the way we put her to bed at about 8:30

But not that night

Hi guys, I did,nt know it was o.k. to leave the door open all night.......will they not get cold or wet??........do you do this in winter too? Are your gardens secure, do you worry about foxes? Sorry for all the questions, we live on a farm and have foxes about , is it best I keep mine in at night do you think, I could,nt bare anything happening to them , what do you think? thanks fluffx

So long as they are in the run and the run door is locked, then they should be safe against foxes. Bunnies are very active during the night and would hate to be locked up, unlike guineas, who like to snuggle up and sleep. Bunnies will also grow thick coats int he winter, so hardly feel the cold at all, just check that their water isn't frozen over.

My garden isn't totally rabit proof, so I have to keep an eye on them when they are let out for a run. They seem to get plenty of exercise in the run though and enjoy chasing up and down.