JellyB

First double yolker

Mabel hadn't laid an egg since last weekend. I've kept an eye on her and she's been eating and drinking well and foraging around the garden when I let them out.

However, yesterday when I got home from work in the Eglu was what I can only describe as a monster :shock: It was enormous and covered in a bit of sticky membrane but it was definitely a Mabel egg! Anyway, I wasn't sure if it would be ok to eat so I cracked it into a bowl and was delighted to find a perfectly delicious double yolk egg, with really dark yellow yolks. It smelt ok so I had a fried double yolker with chips for tea - perfect comfort food.

Just wish I'd taken a picture (how sad) but had no batteries in my camera :roll:

Is it normal for hen's to go for a while without laying and then produce a bigger than normal egg?

Last summer, 2 of mine, Belle and Yoda went through a phase of missing a days lay, then laying a double yolker. They both have stopped now, and I just put it down to them being fairly new at laying, so their bodies still made the odd 'mistake' sometimes.

You occasionally get a double yolker after the chooks get a fright. Our last one was after a thunderstorm - Yoda layed a stonker the next day, with 2 enormous yolks!