Cate in NZ

Grapes

We have 4 or 5 grape vines in our garden, but have never actually got any ripe fruit from them, largely I guess because they're outside, and because I'm a very neglectful gardener.

But this year we've got masses of quite small, but very sweet ripe grapes. I can't quite believe it. Just look at this photo..... and it's only of a very small section of the vines :D

grapes.jpg

I have no idea what I'm going to do with them all, I'm certainly not into treading them all into wine :roll:

I guess the hens will all help me with eating them though :wink:

I got my dad a grape vine for his birthday, many, many years ago and he planted it in his greenhouse. Every year he would get excited as the time for fruiting got closer, and every year he was disappointed - the vine kept growing, but never produced grapes. Eventually, after about 8 years, my mum, for a giggle, bought some plastic grapes and tied them to the vine, tucked in behind the bulk of the vine, and waited.

It took about 3 weeks for dad to notice the grapes, and I'm not sure what was funnier - the shouts of joy as he danced round the greenhouse, or the shreiks of dispair, and the bright red face when he realised that they were fake! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The vine did eventually produce delicious, sweet, teeny little grapes, which he promptly made into wine!