Hi guys,

I am about to get an eglu and 3 ex batts. I just wondered what the minimum area is that i need for the permanent wood chipped area that I'm planning to make. The eglu and run in total is 3m long. Eglu says that you should make the area 1.8m x 4m but thay also sell an edging kit that is 1.8 m x 3.5m. So i just wanted to ask if my edged off area should be 3.5 or 4 metres long as a minimum?

Cheers guys

You will need enough room at one end to open the run door and at the other end to slide the poo tray out don't forget. If you propose to fill the area completely with something I guess the door and tray may slide over the top of the link boards but then the bedding may escape if its filled too full!

I can measure my set up for you and advise how long the whole thing is with door open and tray slid out if you like? are you having any extensions?

Someone on here bought a kit and used it to make a fan shaped set up so they could use a smaller kit but still have the room they needed to open everything which i thought was clever but I dont think its designed to do strange angles!!

We have an eglu & extension to the run & on concrete slabs within a netted area. We have woodbark around the slabs to walk on (it's very wet clay in the winter). We decided not to have a border to keep the woodchip retained. This way, the hens can scratch it over when they are out & we get to rake it back, naturally turning it over. Three bags of woobark was enough. It's also easier to rake back stray bits as our hens throw chips everywhere including upwards!!