CannyCat

I'm a Yo-Yo!

I ordered my eglu last week - a (green eglu) with a GNR and a PP are coming next thursday!

Last week I was so super excited I felt like I was going to burst - my friends were totally sick of hearing about it! This week I'm still excited, but I'm also starting to get really nervous...

What if the chickens don't like their new home? What if they dont like their new mama?! What if they fly into next door's garden? What if they make lots of noise and the neighbours hate them? What if they get sick? What if I can't let them free-range as much as they'd like? :shock:

I feel like an expectant mother! :?

(wow, I feel better after that 8) )

I ordered my eglu last week - a (green eglu) with a GNR and a PP are coming next thursday!

Last week I was so super excited I felt like I was going to burst - my friends were totally sick of hearing about it! This week I'm still excited, but I'm also starting to get really nervous...

What if the chickens don't like their new home? What if they dont like their new mama?! What if they fly into next door's garden? What if they make lots of noise and the neighbours hate them? What if they get sick? What if I can't let them free-range as much as they'd like? :shock:

I feel like an expectant mother! :?

(wow, I feel better after that 8) )

OMLET must be co-ordinating yours and my delivery the same day!!

mine's also coming next Thursday...im in Devon - your'e in Wiltshire - so you will get yours 1st...YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE

uh-huh..it sure is...

im seriously tempted not to be well enough to go to work on thursday :twisted:

hubby is at home all day - but I really want to be home when the eglu comes :(

Oh you have to be there! (not that I'm condoning pulling sickies of course :wink: ). I hear the Omlet man shows you how to clip their wings and put the eglu up, which is dead handy if (like me) you've not had chickens before :)

I've luckily managed to time it with my week off work 8)

It's so cool having chickens - you won't regret it! I remember a couple of days before they were due thinking "what if I don't like their scaly legs?" :shock:

We've had ours 5 months now and they're STILL doing things that make me laugh each day! :lol: Whilst your nerves are perfectly normal you'll find that most of your worries will have been completely unfounded! I didn't sleep for 6 weeks before ours arrived! :shock:

Enjoy the anticipation! :lol:8)

Sue Budgie

What if the chickens don't like their new home? What if they dont like their new mama?! What if they fly into next door's garden? What if they make lots of noise and the neighbours hate them? What if they get sick? What if I can't let them free-range as much as they'd like? :shock: )

LOL.... You'll be fine. So will they :lol:

They will love their eglu, the guy that delivers will clip their wings for you & show you how to do it (we've never bothered again as we've got secure 6ft fences all round with no gaps)

If they are noisy in the morning, you can always try what I do & let them out later in the morning (we let our girls out between 7.30am and 8am, 8am at the weekends)

The Chicken Clinic can give you the impression that they're always ill, but we had J& A for more than 18 months with no illness/ real problems and even now they are less trouble than most friends dogs & cats.

Even if if they only get out of their eglu-run on the odd eve/weekend, thy'll have a lot more freedom and enjoyment than a battery or barn hen. Anyway you'll be suprised at how much time you manage to 'make' for them. You'll end up enjoying your garden more and spend more time there, coz there's more reason to stay out there :D

You'll love it. Good luck.

What if the chickens don't like their new home? What if they dont like their new mama?! What if they fly into next door's garden? What if they make lots of noise and the neighbours hate them? What if they get sick? What if I can't let them free-range as much as they'd like? :shock: )

LOL.... You'll be fine. So will they :lol:

They will love their eglu, the guy that delivers will clip their wings for you & show you how to do it (we've never bothered again as we've got secure 6ft fences all round with no gaps)

If they are noisy in the morning, you can always try what I do & let them out later in the morning (we let our girls out between 7.30am and 8am, 8am at the weekends)

The Chicken Clinic can give you the impression that they're always ill, but we had J& A for more than 18 months with no illness/ real problems and even now they are less trouble than most friends dogs & cats.

Even if if they only get out of their eglu-run on the odd eve/weekend, thy'll have a lot more freedom and enjoyment than a battery or barn hen. Anyway you'll be suprised at how much time you manage to 'make' for them. You'll end up enjoying your garden more and spend more time there, coz there's more reason to stay out there :D

You'll love it. Good luck.

Thanks ParmaViolet, that actually does make me feel a lot better.

I was thinking of leaving the eglu door open (the little green bit, not the run) so they can come and go as they please - at least til the weather gets cold - so that they dont make a fuss to be let out.

A lot of people have managed to get their girls to 'let themselves out' in the morning by leaving the eglu door slightly ajar. June and Audrey never got the hang of this and actually it used to make them a bit fed up, so they used to squark to be let out!!

Because we initially got them in late Sept 04 and it didn't get light till a bit later it was easy to get into the swing of things. I've always been a early bird so I used to go to the gym round the corner straight after letting them out/giving them breakfast.

When it got to Summer 05 we were letting them out into the run at 6am most mornings, but Mr Fox came to visit early one Sunday morning and the ensuing noise woke next door up (and I imagine the whole neighbourhood) so we started letting them out a bit later each week and now they are quite happy to wait till 8am.

A few times this summer I've let them out really early 5.30am, when I've been up early and felt like pottering in the garden... but they still don't seem to mind going back to the 8am start at the weekends.

Going back to the idea of leaving the door slightly ajar, Mini was smart enough to work out how to push the door open the first time I put her in the eglu! I popped her in (via the eggport) when she looked like she wanted to lay her first egg for us and when she'd finished she pushed the door...clever girl.

There are no hard and fast rules...just work out what works for you. We would have to go out each morning with their food and water anyway as there's no way we could leave their food out overnight ...rats :evil: everywhere in this area.... you sometimes them when you walk down the streets nearby YUK.