Laura007

nuggett has started to peck

nuggett has started to peck at the other chickens. this has come from nowhere and we cant work out why she's doing it. she seems to peck a feather out and then just eat it. henno who is top birdie and pecks back on nuggett head to try and warn her off but nuggett just keeps doing it.

we have put an anti peck ring on but any other advice would be great.

The anti peck ring should work :!: I've tried all sorts of things to stop Hattie pecking Gerty (plucking her drumsticks really :shock: ). But nothing worked except the anti peck ring or allowing free ranging all the time, which unfortunately is not feasable. I have found an anti peck spray from SPRwhich has stopped Gerty from plucking at Hattie. It is on the Poultry/Pig/Sheep Sundries page

I have a chook that also pecks, but she doesnt peck at the other chooks, she pecks at us, !!, she chases us around the run when we go in to feed and water them.

Tuppence used to be the placid one, and would always run up to you when called, for some reason now she has developed a serious attitude!!,

Any Ideas?,

x

The girl that was pecking was also moulting at the same time.

Could there be a link between the two?

I think I've read elsewhere on this forum that the metabolic stress of moulting can cause feather-eating, so maybe a dietary boost is in order. Have you tried poultry spice? Also, cutting down on high-carb, low-protein treats like sweetcorn and pasta might help, especially if you can find something higher in protein that they enjoy - one of mine loves tuna in yogurt :roll:

I have a chook that also pecks, but she doesnt peck at the other chooks, she pecks at us, !!, she chases us around the run when we go in to feed and water them.

Tuppence used to be the placid one, and would always run up to you when called, for some reason now she has developed a serious attitude!!,

Any Ideas?,

I wouldn't know why she's started to peck at you, but I have heard of "tough love" working for aggressive chickens! Basically, you grab them and hug them lots every time they peck at you! :shock: The idea is that you're teaching them that YOU are top chook and in charge, not them! I have to say, I've not tried it in practice, so good luck! :roll:

Sue Budgie

Any Ideas?,

x

Do you put the food and water down faster if she pecks? If so, that'll be reinforcing her aggressive behaviour. [Puts zoologist hat on.] OK, try the following idea, based on clicker training:

Feed them some treats, and at the very moment you do so, make a distinctive noise, e.g. clicking your tongue. Do that for a few days so that they associate the noise with treats. Now, go into the run, keeping a close eye on Tuppence. Make the treat noise, and if she attacks you, stop making the noise and leave; if she doesn't attack, give a treat right away. Do this regularly until she twigs that it's her attacking that makes the treat-promise go away :)

Hope this helps

Anne

[Takes zoologist hat off again before people start staring...]