tara

What happens to the hens that omlet dont sell

Just wondered what happens to any hen that omlet dont sell. As they say there all around point of lay but as the hens age over the weeks do they still go to homes to live in a eglu.Or do they have to supply only the young ones if so where do the others go.

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle) bluebell

(white chicken) ruby

PP marmalaid

!egg!!egg!!egg! every day

Just wondered what happens to any hen that omlet dont sell. As they say there all around point of lay but as the hens age over the weeks do they still go to homes to live in a eglu.Or do they have to supply only the young ones if so where do the others go.

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle) bluebell

(white chicken) ruby

PP marmalaid

!egg!!egg!!egg! every day

You know, I've been wondering that too!

It's best to check directly with Omlet, but I understand that they keep a minimum level and 'rotate' their stock. Looking at the pens when I have been to visit, there are some birds, which are obviously point of lay, and others, which appear to be younger. I guess that they make sure that the slightly more mature birds are delivered to their lucky owners first.

Hi. I can answer that.

There are basically no spare ones! Omlet have a partnership with a breeder who supplies them to HQ in batches. When they have all gone (remember they know roughly in advance how many they will need for the following month or so, due to orders), they get more in. If there are any older girls left over, they keep them, as they often have people requesting older birds to replace lost hens! They also have a few roaming around who have simply become their pets! 8)

It's fab, been a few times now and plan another trip before Christmas to buy a few bits and see what's happening.

Yes they would know the numbers of birds that would be sold and their passion for welfare is absolutely genuine :D They have a flock, probably increasing, but they like a few cakes do the boys :wink::D

:lol:

BBx