Ygerna Posted February 11, 2009 Share Posted February 11, 2009 How do you do yours? I want to make some lemon curd on Friday but want to ensure the jars are sterile. TIA Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 11, 2009 Share Posted February 11, 2009 I wash and rinse them well and then put them in the oven (in a roasting tin, for ease of lifting in and out) for 10 mins whilst the lemon curd is cooking....on a low setting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted February 12, 2009 Share Posted February 12, 2009 I run them through the dishwasher, then in a low oven (100c) on a tray until needed like Eglutine. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 12, 2009 Share Posted February 12, 2009 I run them trough the dishwasher,but don't bother with the oven bit too. They come out really hot & dry, & I have not had any problems with them being unsterile Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted February 12, 2009 Share Posted February 12, 2009 I rinse mine through in hot water then dry them in the oven at about 140 degrees, both lids and jars and I have only had one jar of jam go mouldy in 10 years Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted February 12, 2009 Share Posted February 12, 2009 I put them in the dishwasher and then in the oven (my dishwasher doesn't always do a good job of drying) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted February 12, 2009 Author Share Posted February 12, 2009 Thank you all I will do the dishwasher/oven combo I think Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted February 12, 2009 Share Posted February 12, 2009 I dishwash mine, then store in the cupboard. When they are needed, into the oven for 10 minutes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted February 13, 2009 Share Posted February 13, 2009 I don't have a dishwasher so do the oven method for 10 minutes at around 110C. It works just fine and I've not lost a jar of jam to mould yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Saronne Posted February 13, 2009 Share Posted February 13, 2009 I wash and rinse my jars in hot water and dry in a low oven. I also reuse screw-top lids - but first I wash them and then sterilise them in boiling water. Never had the contents go bad. Saronne Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted February 20, 2009 Share Posted February 20, 2009 I use the diswasher then half fill them and microwave them for about 3 mins. I stick the lids in a saucepan to boil. Now I've got the Aga I might do them in the oven instead - save on leccie. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...