CannyCat

Golf ball in nesting box?

When we got our eglu last week, the Omlet Guy advised us to keep a golf ball in the nesting box, to "give them the idea" even though they're not quite old enough to be laying yet.

However the white hen (who I'm on the verge of deciding to call Millie) sleeps in the nesting box and I'm worried it's a bit uncomfortable for her!

Also, I dont know much about broody hens, but would sitting on an "egg" all night make her broody?

Catherine

Hi CannyCat and welcome. I wouldn't worry about Millie(?) going broody yet as it's very unlikely until she is laying, by which time you won't need a golf ball. As for whether it's comfy or not for her, well I think she's made that choice for you! Hope you don't have long to wait for eggs.

Hi CannyCat and welcome. I wouldn't worry about Millie(?) going broody yet as it's very unlikely until she is laying, by which time you won't need a golf ball. As for whether it's comfy or not for her, well I think she's made that choice for you! Hope you don't have long to wait for eggs.

:lol: that's a really good point Jools!!

I was in Waitrose with my three year old and they were selling little egg boxes with wooden eggs in, in the toy section for a couple of quid. As we had no golf balls, I thought we'd try one of these out instead. One of our chickens sits quite happily on top of it all night, though none of ours are laying yet!

We didn't tell our eldest child about the wooden 'eggs', and sent him up to let the chickens out the next morning....shrieks of excitement before he realised it wasn't genuine!!!

Sophie

:lol:

Golf balls work quite effectively. If you can't get hold of wooden eggs I know that in NT shops they sell rubber eggs for £1 and you could use those.

Muddles used to go in the nestbox, but as we got fed up of her going in there and making it all pooey-we kept booting her out everytime she went in there at night. She's trained now and doesn't go in there.

We have 3 ex battery hens who are abit worse for wear.But as there is still a little but of bulling going on dose any one think that if l put a fake egg in it might take there minds of other thing and chill them out a bit.I was reading this and was wondering if it might help them.lm really not that worried about them giving us eggs yet l just want them to be chickens and enjoy there life.Or tho l would like the bully to stand in the corner until there give it up ha ha ha.

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle) blubell !egg!GNR millie GNR honey GNR cookie

(Bluebelle) ruby !egg!

GNR marmalaid !egg!