feemcg

Tooth extraction under sedation......

My Mother in law is terrified of dentists and always has sedation. She is usually happy and sleepy fo 12 to 24 hrs afterwards. No negative side effects as far as I can tell

My 7 yr old son is also due for sedated dental work as his dentist felt it would give him no bad memories. Fair enough!

I had all four wisdom teeth removed under sedation a couple of years ago. I can't remember anything about the procedure itself just at the start - counting down from 20 (dh says I got to about 15) and then nothing until I was coming out of it and they were still pugging my mouth up with wadding. I was blubbing like a baby afterwards which I was advised is very common especially if you are feeling stressed and anxious before hand.

As others have said, it is advisable to have someone to drive you home (there was no way I would have been in a fit state to take public transport) and to have someone around for a day as I did feel very tired and drained for a couple of days afterwards.

I'm glad I had it done and if I needed any major dental work doing again, I would opt for sedation without a second thought. :)

Hi :D ....well I survived my ordeal....just! It was a horrible experience and one I hope never to repeat. I was shaking so bad when I went in and had to sit and ask the dentist a dozen (silly :roll: ) questions, trying to delay things I think. I got the venflon in my arm (no problem, not scared of this at all), then got up and decided I couldn't go through with it.....then felt really silly and sat back down. I got the first 2mg and she lay me back, didn't feel any effect from it and she started injecting all round the offending teeth...I felt every one and grimaced and squirmed, hoping that she would give me more sedation and I would drift off......but I didn't :( . I was wide awake for the entire procedure and can remember pushing, pulling, tugging, more injections in my mouth (when I had my knees drawn up to my chest by this point trying to curl myself into a ball :roll: ).

She had found the root of an old tooth on x-ray, next to the big one at the back, and decided to get that out too.....she couldnt get it and called for reinforcements so a chap came in to finish the job with a lot of drilling and pulling!. I can remember the conversation they were having, and watched as she stitched me up (2 stitches).

I sat up wide awake and she said I'd had the maximum dose of 8mg and she couldn't believe how non-sedated I was :shock: .

I was really sore last night and had Solpadol and held a hot water bottle against my jaw, but slept ok (after a bottle of wine :oops: .....they said no alcohol but I figured as I'd hardly been sedated it wasn't going to do me any harm). My jaw is sore and swollen today but I managed a run to the coast to sit and watch the waves and have lovely freshly battered fish....took me ages to eat it but it was delish!.

It is a huge relief, Egluntine......and the whole thing was my fault for not looking after my teeth properly, so I think I've learned my lesson.

Seems like I must have quite a high tolerance......anyone I've asked and those that posted on here said they drifted off and remembered nothing afterwards. Funny thing was I told the dentist I was terrified of being 'put to sleep' and she offered to try without the sedation, but I decided to go ahead with it.....I needn't have bothered, lol..... I await the bruising :lol:

Well done Fee :clap: . Being awake is usual as sedation is not meant to put you to sleep, but is meant to be anmesic, so that you are not aware of/forget what is going on. I suspect that you have been hard to sedate due to your high anxiety, which would fight against it. At least it is over now :dance: !

Thanks....no amnesia here unfortunately. As you say I prob had so much adrenaline pumping it was never going to have an adequate effect. Big hard lump on my jaw tonight and a tiny bit of discolouration on the skin, not bruising as such......and i keep twiddling my stitches with my tongue :roll: .

When I had my GA I woke immediately after it was over saying "Iain Beale" :shock: In addition to being surprised that I had woken so soon (it had also taken longer than expected to get me to sleep) the staff had to laugh at my first words whilst awake...turns out they had been discussing Eastenders and could not remember the name of the guy who owned the chip shop :lol: . Thank goodness that explained it, and not some mad subconscious fantasy :lol: .