Hi. We are getting 3 male huacaya alpacas.

In the search for some land to rent I found a couple locally who have 10 alpacas and who are trying to sell 2 males. Both are about 4 years old. I totally fell for one of them. He was black all over, except for a small white strip over his eyes which looked like a big comedy eyebrow!

We havent decided what we are going to do yet though, because we are going on a training day in York and they have boys for sale there too.

I think black are my favourite colours, but I feel safer buying from the guy in York, because he has a bigger set up. I dont know enough about Alpacas yet, to know if I'm buying one with something wrong. The guy in york doesnot have any black ones, but Hes a proper breeder, so I feel a bit more confident buying from him. Decisions, decisions.

However, the local couple seemed very nice and genuine and had good reasons for selling.

But its probably the reason you chose your partner. :lol:

:shock: Is that a comment about my OH's eyebrows :?:? . I always thought they were rather neatly manicured personally! :lol:

Alpacas have a very docile calm temperament. They are shy, but if you build up trust they can be more friendly. However, if they see a fox, or another preditor, they turn into savage beasts!!! They will chase and attack foxes. They have a very strong protective and heard instinct so will protect any animals they live with whether thats sheep or chickens! Ideal eh!

So can you tame them enough to harness them and take them walks and things like that? :? (sorry I've no knowledge at all)

Alright I'll go and google it. :D

We have a llama at the farm - Larry - who was halter trained when he was younger, and used to go for walks around the farm on a halter so all the children could see and stroke him :D .

Over time the people who used to take him out have left or had babies, so he can't be taken out anymore and won't come near you unless you have a bucket of feed. Make sure you keep up with halter training :lol:

So can you tame them enough to harness them and take them walks and things like that? :? (sorry I've no knowledge at all)

I really thought you were talking about ShaunW's eyebrows for a moment there :lol::lol:

Thanks for the tip lwescot, I didn't know they get out of the 'habit' quickly. Thats helpful to know. Shame for your poor old sole. Perhaps he should get a friend? Aparently Alpacas spit less than Laamas. Have you ever been spat at?

I really thought you were talking about ShaunW's eyebrows for a moment there :lol::lol:

Thanks for the tip lwescot, I didn't know they get out of the 'habit' quickly. Thats helpful to know. Shame for your poor old sole. Perhaps he should get a friend? Aparently Alpacas spit less than Laamas. Have you ever been spat at?

Theres a posh word for spitting, I can't remember what it is though :lol:

No, he's never spat at me :D , he just runs away, or if you have feed he has his head in the bucket.

He's really easy to clean out because he poo's in onw corner so it can be shovelled out into a wheelbarrow.

It would be good if you could get them tamed and halter trained, and I'm sure it will help if they can get used to you picking up their feed to be trimmed and things like that. I'm sure the people on the course will know more than me though :lol:

Thats one of the things that puts me off from buying from the local guy. His animal are halter trained, but I don't think he's had much actual contact with them, so I think they are now not that used to contact. He also mentioned that one of his had his toenails cut wrongly once and was really hurt :( , so he's very hard to do.

The guys in york halter train them from babys. Apart from the fact that the black one was just so drop dead gorgeous, all my instincts are telling me to buy from the man in york :think: .

A posh word for spitting eh? That would be interesting to know. Aparently their poo piles are called "middens". :)

Eagerly hoping to get a phone call today about some land available locally. *drums fingers and sighs impatiently*

Awwww, where? when? Do I need to go and get some :anxious:

(still waiting for phone call and swapping endless texts with OH saying pointless things such as "havent you heard anything yet" "do you think they will phone tonight / tomorow / at the weekend" "do you think no news is bad news" "maybe she is thinking how much to charge us" "do you think it will be near enough" etc etc :roll: )

:shock: How on earth do you know the posh word for an alpaca spitting??? That is truly random Mostin! :lol::lol:

STILL no phone call about the land. *sighs*. Don't they know how urgent this is :wink: ?

I think we have decided not to buy 'eye brows' and his buddy :( . It just feels safer buying from a bigger breeder.