gooner.girl

RIP Buttercup

Oh. I thought that you had to buy both the run converter and then the extension. Thought it was a bit cheeky if so! Thanks for setting me right Ruth. Is it easy to fit on? Does it make the run seem much bigger?

We've had a fox (i presume) at our bin bag over night so they are definitly staying in today whilst we are at work.

Embarrasing incident yesterday. The grumpy neighbour who was quite nice when Buttercup died in her garden had our cat causing her chaos yesterday. We were worried cos it was dark and Bess usually comes in when we call her but there was no sign of her and having already lost Buttercup this weekend we were imagining all kinds of awful things. Anyway this lady had come over earlier when we were calling her and said that she had seen a little grey tail in her kitchen earlier on behind the fridge and as she had left her back door open assumed that bess had walked in and hid but that after an hour Bess had definitly gone out the back door into the garden. So later when we were getting desperate we asked if we could search the back garden which we did, still no sign so the lady showed us her kitchen where Bess had been and we stood in it talking for a good 5 minutes and were just about to leave when i heard this plaintive meaow and Bess appeared from behind the cooker to nearly give this lady a heart attack!

Talk about stressful weekend. We gave the lady a box of Daisys eggs o make up for all the trouble our animals had caused her!

Yes, the converter just clips on like the sections of the run. You unclip the end panel with the door, then insert the converter panels, and attach them to the run. Then the door panel clips on the end. If it's like mine, you'll get a spare bag of clips with the converter.

It does seem quite a bit bigger - about half as long again. When assembled, it's a bit more awkward to drag the whole thing around on the grass, but I can do it by lifting/dragging first the eglu end then the door end.

when i heard this plaintive meaow and Bess appeared from behind the cooker to nearly give this lady a heart attack!

Talk about stressful weekend. We gave the lady a box of Daisys eggs o make up for all the trouble our animals had caused her!

:lol::lol::lol: Oh no! Glad you had the eggs to give her!

Just one more question please?!

The 2 new girls are still scared of Daisy to the extent that if shes in the run they hide in the eglu and only when she is out in the garden do they dare to come in the run to eat and drink (and they didn't half stuff themselves when she finally went out this afternoon in the garden) I know they have been with us only 2 days? But will this situation get better and what should i do short term if anything!

Thanks

Helen

(purple eglu)

PP - Diasy

(white chicken) - Snowdrop

(Bluebelle) - Bluebell

Milo the dog

Bess and Alfie the cats[/code]

Same happened with my newbies - Petunia started by chasing them back into the eglu! They have to establish a pecking order, and it's not pretty to watch. But it only lasted a week for mine - they are fine now.

In the short term, you can put extra food and water in the run (even in the eglu if you are worried). One hen can't guard all the containers! And like you've done, you can separate the chickens for part of the day to give the new ones a bit of peace.

If there is actual pecking and persistent feather pulling, you can get a "bumper bit" for the beak which stops a hen doing this - luckily I've not had to get one but others on the forum have.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Hope they settle down soon :)

I'm sure Revnev said foxwatch was OK with dogs, bu the site says " Dogs can hear the alarm and will be deterred from entering the protected area."

:?:

It doesn't affect my dog - or my mother's two dogs - all of them (border collies) with good hearing...

so that's a bit of a mystery to me...

Phil

Well still umming and ahhing about the fox watch but i got my run converter today!

Was so excited that i spent all evening in the pitch black trying to put it on. Took me ages. (The guy who delivered the eglu did the clips before) Stupid clips i couldn't work them! :evil:

Anyhow its on now and i know the hens are going to love it when they come out in the morning! :P

BTW Has anyone used citricidal from omlet before? Is it any good? i got some cos Daisy tends to sneeze a lot and i'm a bit worried about her. Do you put it in the water? I see its for human use as well!? Anyone taken it?!