Groovychook

bathing tips

Just wondered how you manage to bath your least cooperative girls! :roll:

I've managed to do three of mine... like a coward, I did the ones who like being cuddled most. It went fairly smoothly although Hilda broke free and flew onto my shoulder, giving me a good soaking in the process... Had a job to clean Phyllis' tufty hairdo- she gets porridge stuck in there and was protested loudly when I tried to wipe it out with a damp cloth! Elsie was as good as gold and now the three of them now have beautifully fluffy pants! :D

This just leaves my three least handleable girls... Betty, especially hates being picked up- even if I rope my OH in to help, she's going to get so stressed.

Any tips would be gratefully received! :anxious:

Ooo, I was searching around and about to add a post asking if I can wash my chickens - I not only have my question answered now but some top tips too - thanks!! My Speckled Hen, CouCou, has a very dirty bum and I didn't want to dunk her if, like cats, they totally hate water.

Cheers

Cat

GNR Rhoda

GNR Goldie

PP Pearl

PP CouCou

(cube blue)

All 24wks old (been with me 7wks) and STILL no eggs - c'mon girls!!

It takes two people and a tub trug full of warm soapy water.

Exactly!

We use tubtrugs. I hold the hen whilst OH bathes/sponges the chook in the tubtrug with ecover in it.

Towel on standby, then as soon as rinsed in the clean water tubtrug, hen is wrapped in towel and dried as much as you possibly can with the towel. Its then into the garage for full blow dry on "warm" setting with the hairdryer. My lot love having baths and look quite revitalised afterwards. :D

Am I missing something here - why do you bathe your chickens? Is having dirty knickers bad for their health?

My girls are regularly wormed (every four months although none have ever shown signs of needing it), checked for lice and mites and look the picture of health :D Their diet is mainly pellets with a handful of corn late afternoon and whatever kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s we have thrown in. I give the recommended supplements (garlic powder, poultry spice, limestone flour, bokashi). They free range for at least a couple of hours most days.

Chestnut is recognisable for her mucky knickers but doesn't seem bothered. Should I be worried? :(

If a hen repeatedly has a dirty bum, then try worming her, checking her diet and for lice. All of these can result in a constantly dirty bum.

Noted, thank you. I had read that it could be a sign of worms but figured I would clean her up first and see what happens after that. I have just called my local vet though to make sure they treat chickens and keep all the worming and mite stuff in stock so I'm good to go if its not just a case of hardened poo - she arrived like it and its not got any worse so I'm hoping she just needs a good clean.

Perhaps just soak it off and see how it goes.

If she hasn't been wormed since you got her, then I'd recommend it; new stock often comes with little passengers and I always worm and de-lice all new chooks before introducing them to the rest of the flock.

If you see her doing lots of runny poos then an exclusion diet is probably best: Just pellets and water, no treats. ACV in the water and supplement the feed with Bokashi Bran in live yoghurt. if the problem persists then try worming.

Perhaps just soak it off and see how it goes.

If she hasn't been wormed since you got her, then I'd recommend it; new stock often comes with little passengers and I always worm and de-lice all new chooks before introducing them to the rest of the flock.

If you see her doing lots of runny poos then an exclusion diet is probably best: Just pellets and water, no treats. ACV in the water and supplement the feed with Bokashi Bran in live yoghurt. if the problem persists then try worming.

Lord, I've got no way of separating her which means all four of them will have to go on an exclusion diet - that won't please the others!! The lady that supplied them said they were all wormed and vaccinated but I haven't wormed or de-liced again since I got them so I will do that straight away just to make sure.

Thanks for all the advice, these forums are a godsend to beginners like me.

Cat