Lesley

Bee Chat

Gosh, lots of bee activity - I'm desperate to take a another look at mine as I panicked a bit last time, but I don't think it will be sunny enough today.

By the way Daphne, I think your neighbour is a 'bee buddy' :wink: - that's the abbreviation I'm using for the friend who I hope is going to help me with mine! Even though I don't have any honey I know that I will not be able to lift a full super on my own. (She's also my 'chicken buddy'!)

This is all really useful chat, please keep adding things! I am not particularly handy, but when I saw the component parts for the beehive I did think 'how much did this cost!!' - it's just a box, when all's said and done. Our bee tutor is a retired carpenter and he made all his hives.

I think today's job may be to practise lighting the smoker, so I can do a proper inspection without it going out next time. I've collected lots of dried grass which has been 'curing' in the greenhouse.

I think OH (Kermit) is using the Dave Cushman plans - can be found online, I believe.

BTW had my first sting yesterday. Right on my cheek - I was being too nosey and one bee took exception and took me on. Hurt like hell for a few minutes and now I've just got a hard round lump in my cheek. :oops:

Also, I have heard beekeepers being called "beeks". :)

I hate getting stung, has to be said! I ahve one of those smock-and-veli affairs, and managed to get really stung on my tummy as the elastic at the bottom isn't tight enough. Queenless (and therefore angry) colony, I must've had about 10 stings on my poor tum (it's still swollen now: nothing to do with the chocolate Iv'e been scoffing). Lsson: tuck your smock into your trousers or put a belt round it.

Taj - I'm shocked at how unhelpful your local BKA is. I can understand if they had a look and then told you that the shed roof is inaccessible, so the colony should be left alone or destroyed. Equally they can't do much about bees flying in your garden, but they should at least come see the established colony in a shed roof, and advise what to do. After all, most beeks have lost swarms and the chances are your shed-roof-bees originated from a beeks swarm. So IMO a responsible assoc should feel morally obliged to help deal with it. I'm sorry your lcoal assoc doesn't feel this way.

As Peaches says, I am using the Dave Cushman plans. You can find them at:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/nat.html

I am also using some drawings from Adamsm on British Beekeeping Forum:

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/adamsm/Plans/

There are also a good set of plans/details on the Scottish Beekeeping site:

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/learning/documents/number%204%20national%20hive.pdf

and

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/downloads/html/downloadsindex.html

The latter has lots of interesting info on all sorts of topics, not just hive plans.

Now to work out how to get the bee spaces right..... :?:?

If (big if!) the weather clears up we're going to see our swarm guy extract honey this afternoon.

He had a top tip for pacifying bees which we were told about on our course but I'd forgotten. Get a bit of material (bit larger than the hive), sew bamboo canes into either end. When you open the hive then drape it over frames and as you go through inspecting you can roll it back to get at the next frame. It keeps those on frames in the dark and calmer for longer apparently.

As I had to abandon yesterdays inspection because I accidentally banged the queen excluder on the hive and the bees understandably got annoyed, I shall be trying this out!

Hope the weather was kind to you Daphne?

Our hive is a complete disaster :(

As you know we had a lot of hospital visiting and two close family funerals within 6 weeks - we had to feed all the other animals but the bees had to fend for themselves for a while and we just weren't able to go through the hive for about 3 weeks. The behaviour of the bees was wrong and we guessed the colony was queenless - it was. We hoped they would re-queen.... they haven't and as the colony was so weak wasps moved in on them. The bees were still firendly - the wasps weren't and they outnumbered the bees! :shock: When we did manage to brave the wasps we found an infestation of wax moth, no (bee) eggs or larvae of course and we thought all was lost.

We managed to get someone to come and help us yesterday. We shook all the bees onto the spare hive, with new frames, which we put in the same position as the first one, closed the entrance with a very small doorway and moved the the old hive away, taking the wasps with it fortunately. As soon as we have fewer wasps and can get near the frames we will cut out all the drawn foundation and stores as it is full of wax moth larvae - the hens will love them! We will then have to take the blow torch to the hive.

The beek who came to help is asking around to see if he can find a small colony with a queen so that we can try to get a decent sized colony to prepare for wintering.

We certainly won't be entering honey in the show this year :?

Oh Lesley, poor you! At least if you can get a mated queen /new colony then you should be able to get back on track. How many bees do you still have? You could buy in a mated queen, either using her to make a nuc with existing bees or adding her to the hive (using a paper-ended plastic tube in either case). I'm guessing your mentor reckons you have only a few bees left of uncertain age, so perhaps not enough even for a nuc?

Round me there is a big EFB outbreak, so am checking mine for that and trying not to worry too much!

Lesley - what bad luck, at least you are at a level where you can spot these things and know what to do about it - its just a shame you've 'lost' a year; but I guess small-holdering makes you very pragmatic? I can't imagine dealing with wasps - will they fly away and then you blow torch or do you blow torch them?

We saw/helped with honey being extracted yesterday - in 60 year old equipment. The swarm man has been dealing with bees since he was 5 apparently and tends to some unorthodox views compared to his BBKA compatriots that we learnt from. He rarely inspects (2-3 times a year), expects them to swarm (but then he is fearless and as the swarmcatcher first in the queue for any new swarms), doesn't believe in getting rid of queen cells and has very decided views about everything. He was very good devoting a lot of time to us yesterday - tho we were secretly hoping for a small jar which didn't materialise! We resorted to licking our sticky fingers! He said this year hasn't been very good for honey although there has been lots of bee activity.

It seems to me that I'm going to need the muscles of Hercules to deal with any honey extraction ... translated that will mean calling in somebody else. I woke up dreaming of porter bee escapes as well!

Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time with your hive, Lesley. :( I do hope you get to requeen and build up a big enough colony to overwinter.

It takes all sorts to be a beekeeper, Daphne, but your guy does sound a bit of a maverick! :shock: Certainly not at all "by the book", is he?

I have now managed to go all the way through my colony and all seems well so far. :pray: However, I got my first sting yesterday! My own fault for being cocky and thinking just because I'm, able to top up the feeder without suiting up, I could do the same for taking the feeder out to clean it. :roll:

One of the bees got caught in my hair and stung me on the back of the neck. Fortunately I was able to scratch the sting out without being able to see what I was doing and it's no more than a slightly red bump today. Surprisingly, it didn't really hurt that much. I did wonder if I hadn't actually been stung, but the red mark and small lump does confirm it. Lesson learned! :lol:

We've found where the wasps are nesting - in a hollow tree trunk, right next to the entrance gate to our property - I've had to warn the postman.......and probably ought to make a notice.

As soon as this torrential rain stops we will sort it out - hopefully. The wasps are still hanging around the barn where we put the hive that was being used and had got wax moth - I've set a big wasp trap in there.

Medusa... OW!

My stupidest mistake along those lines was going out first thing in morning to do a very quick job.... was running late.... did put veil on, but didn't bother witht he smoker. This was when teh bees were queenless.

I got about 10 stings, 6 of which was after I'd beaten a hasty retreat from the hive.... and was about 40 metres away.

That hive looks nice and naturally snuggled in there! Our maverick beekeeper told us he spent quite a lot of time watching his bees walk in - he could tell which colony was which by the amount they waved their wings apparently! I have to say I enjoy watching the pollen go in, it makes me feel something good must be going on in there.

That plant to the left of the hive (beginning with 'p' I think) with the red tubular flowers grew to be a shrub about 4'H x 5'W in our last garden (sheltered position on chalk) so look out!

This was in our latest Newsletter ......

"I am sorry to have to report that one of our new members recently suffered severe anaphylactic shock after being stung whilst walking across the garden in front of her hives. She collapsed quickly and the Air Ambulance was called out. The paramedics worked on her for an hour before airlifting her to hospital where she underwent further treatment. At one time her heart stopped. It was certainly fortunate that a friend was with her when she was stung, otherwise it is very unlikely that she would have survived. Although she was released on the following day, she then suffered a further relapse and was re-admitted to hospital. After almost a week in hospital she is now home, but feeling very weak. Obviously she will have to give up beekeeping, which is heartbreaking because she has done so well this year, gaining a great deal of knowledge and a good crop of honey. See FOR SALE below.

Although this type of incident is extremely rare, it is clear that we all need to be aware of the potential danger from bee stings and beginners would be well advised to get stung several times before investing money in beekeeping equipment and stock"

What a shock for her :shock:

It has worried me as I've not yet been stung! - I think they don't like the smell of me :wink: I don't feel like running around the hive naked just so that I can be stung and ss if I have a reaction :shock:

We're not remote in the way some people see it but we are difficult to find and a delay in paramedics arriving could be a matter of life or death. I might try my GP to see if we could have a prescription for an Epipen, but without any history of reactions I suppose the answer wil be 'no' :?

On the plus side - we have applied to buy the queenright hive :)

There's a really interesting thread on this on the BBKA Forum, I don't think I can link to it though as you have to be a member on there to read posts. :? If anyone is a member, it's under the 'Buy and Sell' section, because it was written by someone who'd had a bad reaction and wanted to sell her hives.

Briefly - severe reactions are very rare, but if you are allergic and want to carry on keeping bees, you can have a desensitisation course. Quote below - I'm only repeating what I've seen on there, so "Ooops, word censored!"ody should rely on this as advice! There's quite a bit of discussion including posts from people who've had bad reactions (and note that a severe reaction to a sting is not the same as an allergic reaction).

Sting Reactions, Each year in the UK 500-2000 people have emergency treatment for sting reactions but only 4 people die from sting reactions and only 1 of these 4 had previous sting reaction. Worldwide, there have been no records of anyone dying from sting allergy following a completed course of sting immunotherapy: It is therefore thought to be effective

It's a really tricky one though.... it is such a serious situation, particularly given that many apiaries are out of sight /inaccessible. Personally I think it's insane to get bees before handling them a few times, by visiting local association apiaries/members etc - not just from allergies but also because you can't be sure if you will enjoy it (most will know if they'll get scared or not, but not be sure they will enjoy the experience).

You can't expect neighbours, if they are allergic, to go trough the treatment, either. Everyone needs a back-up plan if they have to move hives for whatever reason - where to move them to.

That plant to the left of the hive (beginning with 'p' I think) with the red tubular flowers grew to be a shrub about 4'H x 5'W in our last garden (sheltered position on chalk) so look out!

You're right Daphne. It's a Phygelius. I hack it back hard every autumn, so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. It is actually further from the hive than it looks in the pic. :D

That is a shocking tale, Lesley! :shock: Poor woman! I would be devastated if I had to give up my bees. I was glad to see that she has made a recovery. One of the lady beekeepers at our apiary has been getting increasingly worse reactions to bee stings, so she won't even go down the garden without her beesuit, just in case.

Anyone got anything to report going on in their hives? I'm fed up with the stress of being annoyed on another thread and would love to hear some gentle chat about bees :D

We're waiting for bee buddy's wife to make us cloth covers (she has a sewing machine, I don't) to calm the bees a bit for our next inspection. I don't think we'll be taking honey this year. We've got a 14x12 brood box and last time I looked that was still where most of the activity was.

At the New Forest Show last week, I was chatting to the Beeks in their tent & was told I should extract my honey and feed the bees rather than leave the honey for the bees and feed later if necessary.........ok, I know I will get different answers from different keepers, but what are your thoughts Daphne, Lesley, Olly et al?

Sha x

Thanks for responding Sha :)

My mentor told me I could take it if there was some (enough?) and I wanted to and my maverick told me that unless there was loads he would probably leave it (but I think thats part of his leave well alone philosophy). I guess we'll leave it a few weeks and consult with existing beek next-door-neighbour who has the extracting equipment about what he is doing/thinks we should do. I know my bee buddy is keen as he and his wife are great believers in the medical benefits of local honey. I'm less fussed!