Lesley

Bee Chat

I reckon Cumbria is probably less hospitable (in terms of wet windy yuck) than somewhere much further north but in full blast of Gulf Stream, like bits of Argyll.... I have lovely black bees which seem perfectly able to cope with the damp windswept bog they live on: but I am feeding syrup.

Am sure most (maybe excluding Caringorms!) of UK is fine for bees (though undeniably some is going to be more of a challenge than others!).

I am curious as to how bees fare in the Scandinavian countries then? Places like western Norway are pretty damp, with milder winters (relatively speaking!) because it is closer to the sea and the Gulf Stream, whilst further inland in eastern Norway and Sweden it is drier, with hotter summers but even colder winters (again, relatively speaking).

However, they still have honey, but I have no direct experience of how the hives are kept (other than eating Norwegian heather honey - yum!).

From a quick Google search I have found a couple of Norwegian bee books (which might make an interesting read) and an article from last year which says that 14 wild bee species have become extinct in Norway, whilst in Sweden they estimate that up to a third are at risk!

I'm guessing re: Scandanavia, but would imagine the native/wild bee speices they're talking about are bumbles rather than honey bees: they have those lovely thick fluffy jackets to keep them warm, whereas honey bees, feral or managed don't so aren't as good at being active early and late in colder weather.

As to how they're kept: dunno. Could be commercial beeks move them for flows over the year.... I am intrigued though.

I'm guessing re: Scandanavia, but would imagine the native/wild bee speices they're talking about are bumbles rather than honey bees: they have those lovely thick fluffy jackets to keep them warm, whereas honey bees, feral or managed don't so aren't as good at being active early and late in colder weather.

Bumble bees do not make honey, only honey bees make honey.

In Russia bees survive winters at -50, cold during the winter is a friend to bees, the colder the better. Its warm winters when there is nothing to forage on but the bees are still active that can help cause starvation.

In Russia bees survive winters at -50, cold during the winter is a friend to bees, the colder the better. Its warm winters when there is nothing to forage on but the bees are still active that can help cause starvation.

We were talking about something similar at my local BKA last night. Honey bees cope very well with the cold. They generate their own heat inside the hive to keep them snug in the winter.

We do plan to Autumn feed (2:1 syrup) here in the Midlands. Although we had a good spring and early summer, it hasn't been brilliant over the last few weeks, so the bees will need a top up to give them enough stores for the winter.

As I have no supers on my new colony, the honey debate doesn't affect me this year. I have put my first Apiguard on to treat for Varroa. We also discussed yesterday about the pros and cons of prophylactic Fumidil B. The concensus at our BKA was NOT to treat unless Nosema was suspected, but I just wondered what the more experienced beekeepers on here thought about it.

We also discussed yesterday about the pros and cons of prophylactic Fumidil B. The concensus at our BKA was NOT to treat unless Nosema was suspected, but I just wondered what the more experienced beekeepers on here thought about it.

I've not found any Nosema spores in the bees I've dissected thus far this season, nor Tracheal Mites, so I'll not be treating for either myself. In fact, so far I've not seen much Varroa either so at the moment I'm not considering an Apiguard treatment either (last treatment was an Oxalic trickle last December - which I have mixed feeling about!)

But then I have quite a few hives in several out apiaries, so (to employ a topical analogy) by not keeping all my eggs in one basket, I'm able to try non treatment without risking all my bees. If I do come across a worrying population of mites in the winter close-down inspections I will probably treat that whole apiary.

As I have no supers on my new colony, the honey debate doesn't affect me this year. I have put my first Apiguard on to treat for Varroa. We also discussed yesterday about the pros and cons of prophylactic Fumidil B. The concensus at our BKA was NOT to treat unless Nosema was suspected, but I just wondered what the more experienced beekeepers on here thought about it.

I agree, don't treat for anything without good reason. Too many beekeepers chuck a random assortment of medications into their hives 'just in case'. What they are really doing is making matters worse by disturbing the bees unnecessarily and adding to their burden of toxins, which they need to remove from the hive. Most likely this weakens their ability to perform their natural work, which is to make stocks for winter.

Putting anything into a hive 'just in case' is like taking an aspirin in case you get a headache.

A random question - where do you store your foundation or spare frames? I bought a 'starter kit' and it came with foundation for brood frames and two supers. I made up the foundation frames, but then only needed five of them because I was given a nuc on existing frames, so I have five made-up frames and a lot of spare foundation.

I am worried that if I put them in the garage, they might get wax moth or mouse-eaten, and also the temperature fluctuates a lot in there being very hot in summer. Would it be better to keep them in the house somewhere, or doesn't it matter too much? If they're in a plastic lidded crate in the garage, will that be ok for protection?

At the moment they're adorning the kitchen dresser, and while the wax smells lovely I do need to find them a proper home!

A random question - where do you store your foundation or spare frames? I bought a 'starter kit' and it came with foundation for brood frames and two supers. I made up the foundation frames, but then only needed five of them because I was given a nuc on existing frames, so I have five made-up frames and a lot of spare foundation.

I am worried that if I put them in the garage, they might get wax moth or mouse-eaten, and also the temperature fluctuates a lot in there being very hot in summer. Would it be better to keep them in the house somewhere, or doesn't it matter too much? If they're in a plastic lidded crate in the garage, will that be ok for protection?

At the moment they're adorning the kitchen dresser, and while the wax smells lovely I do need to find them a proper home!

A plastic lidded crate will do fine. We keep ours in large flat plastic storage containers under a bed in the spare bedroom. There's a product called Certan that you can spray on the wax that will kill wax moth but is safe for bees if you want to be doubly sure.

The only problems associated with storing frames with foundation apart from those above) is the wax can warp making poor combs when actually drawn by the bees or dries out and becomes brittle, then the bees are not so keen to build on it.

I would suggest you carefully remove it and lay them flat in a sealed plastic bag until required.

Regards, RAB

Ollie, I asked about storing foundation and made up frames at our local BKA. I was told that wax moth do not tend to go for foundation, it's more the drawn out, used frames they prefer. That said, it is still better to keep them in a sealed container to keep the mice at bay. Dunelm Mill do some big lidded plastic storage boxes which are priced very reasonably. :D

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/category/Storage_Storage%20Boxes/

I am one happy beekeeper...........I've just been inspected by my mentor having been panicking like only a newbie can....and he says not only is my colony happy and healthy it could even let me have a frame or two of honey to my cupboard too :clap::dance::clap::dance:

He had a fit of hysterics at my pop bottle "guard of honour" round the entrance and the piece of sponge stuck in the entrance :roll::lol:

I'm off to tell DH....you guys were the first to know :D ...thank you all for being a wonderful support network :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Sha x

We've just been to the last apiary meeting of the year - and have managed to secure a mentor ready for next year :dance:

I think if we'd had help at the right time (and I did send an email asking for help) then we may not have lost our bees so it will be good to have someone to phone or ask them to pop over if things don't look right again.

Because we live between two groups we started with one group but couldn't find a mentor so we switched to the other group. We don't live in the middle of nowhere......but it often felt like it.

The nuc we collected from the apiary a few weeks ago is doing really well and is in a strong position to face the winter.

That's good news, Lesley - I haven't actually had my mentor visit yet, although I've talked to them for advice, but I'd hate to think that I was on my own especially if I had the problems you had.

Are you still feeding yours? I was supposed to put another feed on today but have been flat out with a migraine (serves me right for going on about how I hardly ever get them now!) and I really don't feel like doing it tonight. My 'bee buddy' friend is coming over tomorrow so we'll do it together.

One of the things I've discovered is that although a hive inspection doesn't take long, it has to be timed for a day when the weather is good - I am out two, and sometimes three nights a week and all too often this summer my free evenings have not coincided with a dry warm day.

That's the difficulty when you have to work isn't it? or have other comittments, it's diffucult to get the timing right sometimes. Our almost non-stop hospital and hospice visiting, two funerals within 6 weeks and all the associated problems meant we just had to concentrate on the animals which couldn't fend for themselves :(

We've had lovely settled weather for checking on our new bees recently, it's been a pleasure checking them.

Yes, we are feeding them, they were on syrup but now on fondant.

Hello Fellow Newbie Beeks, and those more experienced bods who pop in......I took a frame of honey at the weekend :dance:..I am one very happy Beebod as you can see on the piccies on viewtopic.php?f=65&t=52525&view=unread#unread

Don't want to overload the system with my grinning mug, hence the link.....I have to say, it really is a very sticky business taking honey........I coated everything with clingfilm and wore the same disposable gloves which I use at the hive.......and still had to suck my fingers afterwards to clean off the last bits :anxious::lol::drool::drool: Goodness knows what kind of mess I'd have been in had I been extracting more than one frame :shock::lol:

Sha x