Lesley

Bee Chat

Have never actually seen a doc or clinician with one of these :wink:

I am sure the ones the nurses use for taking blood pressure which are nothing special (in fact they probably almost come from the pound shop) would do - if you can't hear anything, try twiddling the head round so you are listening with the bell rather than the diaphragm (or vice versa) - one side picks up higher frequency sounds (like buzzing?) and the other lower frequency sounds but can never remember which is which :wall:

(I use a stethoscope at work all the time but I am a Littmann girl wouldn't use any other brand :D )

(I use a stethoscope at work all the time but I am a Littmann girl wouldn't use any other brand :D )

The ultrascope is single sided enabling complete auscultation simply by changing the pressure of application.

I treated everybody at work to one so each had her own.

Otherwise we were constantly swapping and using other's scopes.

We all did it but probably not the nicest thought :(:(

This one from Littmann looks fun

3817496394_c94cb048c1_o.jpg

Yes and just make sure you dont bang the end of stethoscope whilst its still in your ears otherwise you will be very mutton deaf...like me :lol: indie

Now talking to my neighbour who still has all his beekeeping equipment he mentioned the honey extractor spinner and reckons he use to leave the bees alone most of the time ...now I will ask him if he used a stethoscope(he is a bit deaf so perhaps thats why)

I thought I might post something to update you all (particularly my fellow newbies) about life in the BigBee House (14 x 12 national). My swarm's original owner came over to do a check with me today regarding the honey. We have a bit in the super (not much truth be told - its still all nectary, he estimates about 3-4 lbs of capped) but he thinks we should go for extraction - particularly as when we checked his they were groaning with honey. Its clear in one of his hives the flow has stopped (bees busy taking uncapped honey back down into the brood box) so we need to do it asap. Now awaiting some BeeQuick which he uses rather than a porter bee escape.

Just as excitingly for me we managed to get into my brood box without the bees going bananas :D On reflection, I think my lot might be super-sensitive to mowing, a neighbour about 100 ft away was mowing yesterday and they were mighty agitated.

Anyway - best of all, I've seen my queen for the first time (and I spotted her) and the eggs, larvae, pollen and stores are all present and correct in text book fashion. Hurrah! The brood box is getting pretty full so I can see another hive next year.

I'm feeling so much better that I've had a pleasant interaction with my girls :lol:

:D It is a great feeling, isn't it, when it's going right!

We (my local group) had an apiary visit this weekend, at the local out-apiary. We inspected one hive which was quite weak, it looks like a cast that someone has hived but no brood and not much in the way of stores - this was very reassuring because I realised that actually my bees are doing fairly well in comparison.

I realised however that I should be feeding them much more, I have been told they need 30-35lb of stores to get them through the winter, so I put another feed on tonight. I think I will definitely invest in a different feeder for next year, the sort like a drawer that covers the whole hive (sorry, can't remember the name! :oops: ) as my contact feeder is going to need replenishing frequently.

Glad things are going better for you, Daphne.

it looks like a cast that someone has hived but no brood

If it was like you say, it is doomed. It will need to be united with another colony. Well,... actually,....could it have just been a few frames of bees dropped into a hive for the benefit of a few visitors? You don't say what your 'group' was and I would think that few would want their main hives poked around at this time of the year. About the worst time to risk losing a queen.

What you really needed to see was a strong hive, which was capable of over-wintering easily, to compare with your colony(ies). Just saying yours are doing 'fairly well in comparison' with something which is entirely sub-standard is not very useful to asses the viability of your bees..

Regards, RAB

We use blocks of fondant directly above the brood box, cut a hole in the plastic wrap so that bees have easy access.

Fondant is something I would use during the winter to keep light hives alive. This time of year, if I feed, I'd feed a heavy syrup. Fill a pan 3/4 full of normal white sugar and pour over enough water so the level comes up to where the sugar was. Bring to the boil and simmer while stirring until you can see the bottom of the pan (fully dissolved) allow to cool and then fill old 2lt fizzy drinks bottles for easy transportation.

I have just joined my local beekeepers association and visited a hive last weekend.

There they are feeding syrup at 1kg sugar to 1 litre water and will give fondant in February.

I asked about feeding having heard that some hives are never fed sugar syrup. "South of Watford" laughed the guy in reply, "you're in Cumbria here, it's a wonder we have ANY bees"

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

The weather IS actually pants here most of the time and I'm in awe of people that keep the population going.

"South of Watford"

So very nearly true!

Lets face it, the further north one goes the less crop you can remove (without returning something for the winter). There comes a point where the whole crop is not enough for the bees to survive the winter. They die. Simple. Bees at that latitude are at their nothern limit of existence.

Bees would survive in Cumbria, but that excess is so much diminished. Not very many keep bees when it actually costs them more than the return (in one way or another).

There will be a lot more of those type of people next year though, after all the media coverage this year.

I am in Lincolnshire and most years I don't need to feed sugar and still I get more honey than I need. I, like all those south of me, could (and some do) take all the crop and replace with sugar for winter feed. Sugar feed is about 65p per kg on the hive as stores;local honey is about £6-7 per kg? No comparison if you have the tax man taking his share of the profits from your honey business, or live so far north......

Regards, RAB

I have just joined my local beekeepers association and visited a hive last weekend.

There they are feeding syrup at 1kg sugar to 1 litre water and will give fondant in February.

I asked about feeding having heard that some hives are never fed sugar syrup. "South of Watford" laughed the guy in reply, "you're in Cumbria here, it's a wonder we have ANY bees"

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

The weather IS actually pants here most of the time and I'm in awe of people that keep the population going.

I think thats a little harsh.... I live central Scotland and there are a few (there were plenty more before varroa!) feral bee colonies here, which have been monitored/studied over a period of years so are known that it isn't just that swarms are re-inhabiting the same spot.

It does depend completely on forage and exact location of course - I don't imagine feral bees would survive in the Cairngorms despite patches of heather! And of course no-one is taking honey from them nor wax, so not a real comparison to "kept" bees.

But all the same, bees can and do survive in SOME areas north of Watford without help.

"South of Watford"

So very nearly true!

Lets face it, the further north one goes the less crop you can remove (without returning something for the winter). There comes a point where the whole crop is not enough for the bees to survive the winter. They die. Simple. Bees at that latitude are at their nothern limit of existence.

Bees would survive in Cumbria, but that excess is so much diminished. Not very many keep bees when it actually costs them more than the return (in one way or another).

There will be a lot more of those type of people next year though, after all the media coverage this year.

I am in Lincolnshire and most years I don't need to feed sugar and still I get more honey than I need. I, like all those south of me, could (and some do) take all the crop and replace with sugar for winter feed. Sugar feed is about 65p per kg on the hive as stores;local honey is about £6-7 per kg? No comparison if you have the tax man taking his share of the profits from your honey business, or live so far north......

Regards, RAB

ok, so, ive got no chance then, I am dooomed :roll:

and anyone north of me :shock:

well, you had best give up now, :lol:

(quick, someone tell the honey shops in scotland that they ahve been doing it wrong for years!!)

cathy

x

Blimey! South of Watford is just an expression.

Having moved to Cumbria a lot of my friends laugh and say, "Is that somewhere near Scotland?" I have a feeling some of them are serious. I don't know about the northern limits of bees but we do get a lot of rain here. There wasn't a jar of local honey to be had last year.

I met a lady who had been beekeeping in the South Lakes since 1981 but was down to her last hive. I have 18 months to make up my mind while shadowing one of our members who has kindly suggested I work her hives with her.

ok, so, ive got no chance then, I am dooomed :roll:

and anyone north of me :shock:

well, you had best give up now, :lol:

(quick, someone tell the honey shops in scotland that they ahve been doing it wrong for years!!)

I know people who keep bees successfully in Alberta, Canada and in Alaska. I know Cumbria has some harsh winters (I used to live there), but nothing compared with those places.

Bees don't mind cold winters, as long as they can get what they need during the summer, and "Ooops, word censored!"ody takes it all from them!

It has been argued by some, that in the UK it is better to remove late season Ivy honey (as much as is practical) and replace it with a sugar syrup feed; as Ivy sets so hard that unless a mild winter enables the bees to work the set Ivy, they are likely to starve despite their solid stores.

I also believe there are a number of studies that have been done which indicate sugar syrup is no less favorable to over winter on than honey. The opinion that honey is always better for the bees than sugar syrup, while often stated by some, is not necessarily always correct.

That said, I prefer not to feed syrup in the Autumn if practical (last year feeding was needed and it's looking like I will still have to feed a few this autumn) Then in December they all get candy for a couple of months, if they need it or not, and in February candy will get swapped out for a pollen substitute (which I've had great success with) but then I want a big early build up of bees to work the orchards and rape.

Kind regards

Peter

P.S. I only offer my methods here for consideration; all may keep their bees according to their own preferences/prejudices.

Couperwife, I'm north of you in Northumberland. British bees do very well here so i wouldn't worry too much. :lol: Have you got bees or are you planning on getting some? My sister says TeesBees are a great bunch of people with a training course in Spring. There website isn't bad either.

Couperwife, I'm north of you in Northumberland. British bees do very well here so i wouldn't worry too much. :lol: Have you got bees or are you planning on getting some? My sister says TeesBees are a great bunch of people with a training course in Spring. There website isn't bad either.

I would love bees :D

unfortunately, we live in a suburban semi, with a small back garden

when we win the lottery and buy a small holding (:pray: ) we will get bees (and sheep, and pigs, and horses, and alpaca :lol: )

but will have a look at Teesbees (great name) thanks

cathy

x