Lesley

Bee Chat

first bee related injury - picked up the smoker from the wrong side (after doing alll the inspecting). I have the worst burns on 4 fingers that I've ever had. Its OK when my hand is in water, in between using sudocreme and standing about in the breeze outside....I'm typing this with one hand - so please DON'T be as stupid as me.....

Here's our new (well, old) hive in the garden ......

BeesJune2009003.jpg

I can't stop running up to have a look. The metal thing is a dog guard to stop the dogs running into the hive by mistake. I'm just praying the bees will stay!!

Fi :D

Hope your bees stay...I've just collected and hived a nuc today...fingers crossed for both of us....

first bee related injury - picked up the smoker from the wrong side (after doing alll the inspecting). I have the worst burns on 4 fingers that I've ever had. Its OK when my hand is in water, in between using sudocreme and standing about in the breeze outside....I'm typing this with one hand - so please DON'T be as stupid as me.....

Ouch!!! Advice for a burn (beyond the usual run it under cold water etc....) get an empty soft drinks can. Fill it 3/4 full with water and freeze it - doesn't take long to get very cold but it is delightful relief to hold the partly frozen can in your burnt fingers and it is just the right shape for the burn. Best way is to freeze two then you can swap for a cooler can when you need to. NB I usually keep a frozen can in the freezer for such occasions (not that I'm prone to burns or anything!

Here's our new (well, old) hive in the garden ......

BeesJune2009003.jpg

I can't stop running up to have a look. The metal thing is a dog guard to stop the dogs running into the hive by mistake. I'm just praying the bees will stay!!

Fi :D

Hope your bees stay...I've just collected and hived a nuc today...fingers crossed for both of us....

PS I've built a wooden fence with gate around my hive to stop the chickens from pecking it and annoying the bees.

Oooh! painful Daphne :shock: - I hope it soon heals.

We went through the hive yesterday and we were right.....there is something wrong :( We think we are queenless :( .....and have drone laying workers :(

We will try to get one of the local beekeepers to come and have a look - but that may be difficult as we're hospice visiting for big chunks of every day.

I'm posting this so that you can see what happens when you really can't find the time keep on top of things......I'll keep you updated.

Lesley - I expect you already know this (feel a bit presumptious as a newbie, grandmother, eggs and all that....) but I bumped into our bee swarm man today and explained we couldn't find the queen and were a bit worried and he said if we could see bees going in with pollen sacs on their legs then we'd have a queen. As we did I'm feeling a lot happier she's in there (somewhere).

We have bees but they are not bringing in pollen - that's how we knew we had a problem even without having the time to go through the hive :( - but, the bees are staying so we're hoping the workers have raised a new queen and she will go on her mating flight soon.

We bought a little pollen chart - from Thornes - it shows the different pollens at each season.

We have more time to check on the bees now - sadly, we have no more hospice visiting since Sunday.

On Monday I heardl from our Apiary Manager that he had a colony of bees for me! :dance::dance::dance:

I took my hive over to his apiary and transferred 7 frames of bees and brood. I have to wait a week or so to collect it, as he's away for a few days. At least my bees will have some time to settle in to their new home.

I can't wait to pick them up and bring them home. :D

Edited to add: Sorry Lesley. I didn't see your post before posting. Sincere condolences.

Thank you all :) - I'm trying not to go off topic but wanted to discuss what happens when bees have to be neglected a little.

I'm disappointed that we haven't heard from any beekeepers to come and have a look with us but can't be bothered to chase it up - we'll see how they're doing this weekend.

Congratulations on the bees Medusa :D

Medusa - is the apiary more than 3 miles from your home then? Good luck - it's great fun. They are certainly a lot less stressful than chickens.

Yes, Peaches. It is about 5-6 miles from my house, so will not be confusing for the bees. :D

Very much looking forward to getting them next week, but naturally a bit anxious also. Fortunately, as well as having my local BKA to support me, I do have a lovely mentor who will hopefully babysit me until I get more confident.

So sorry to hear your news, Lesley.

Anyhow, re: queenlessness - they won't leave (swarm, move house or whatever) without a queen. If you can get a frame of eggs and brood, then that will help; if there is a new queen in there then they'll allow them to develop normally, otherwise they will use the eggs or young larvae to develop a new queen, so after a few days you would see queen cells. Are they angry? When mine were queenless they were viscious little things, and they made an unmistakable "queenless roar". If yours seem calm and organised then I wouldn't worry too much. If you can't get a frame of eggs/brood, I would leave well alone, as interfering with a new queen before she's laying runs the risk of them balling her. Mine took from end of April till weekend before last - saw one sealed cell (no brood eggs etc) and queenless hive at end April. So it can take a long time, much longer than suggested in a lot of books. Your alternative is to buy a mated queen, but if you already have a queen in your hive either she, or the existing queen, will be killed.

MedusA: You'll be fine! With local help and a mentor that should see you through.

I've just had an email with details about my bees & wanted to run the info by you guys so I know I'm getting everything I need!

They have 5 frames of brood, with a 2009 queen bred from one of our training colonies which has a nice gentle nature.

They are in a National hive which is in good condition, with solid floor, brood box, wire queen excluder, super, crown board, roof, entrance block and apiguard spacer

The price of the nuc of bees is £90. As regards the hive, we have looked at Payne’s catalogue and worked on approximately half price, giving a figure of £110 for the hive with additional frames, thus giving a total of £200.

I know I'm going to order a glass quilt and varroa floor, sounds like a set of frames for brood & super boxes too, would I need a second super this late in the season? I have my jacket & veil, smoker & hive tool. I'll ask the people I'm getting them from the same questions :wink: .

Oooo this is getting a bit scary/exciting :anxious: !!!

Sha x

Chickenanne - thanks for the reassurance; our bees are oh so mellow so thats a good sign. We'll have another inspect on Sunday to see whats what. The bee guy said the queen might well have started laying by then, but not to worry if not.

Wild Mum - Tho I can't comment on what you need/need for 2nd super what you've been offered seems a bargain to me! I paid £280 for a DIY 14x12 brood box, 2 supers, queen excluder, crown board, mesh bottom, lid, frames, smoker and 2 x hive tools (from Paynes).

BTW my mentor said the local BKA was just starting to get a bit worried - there's so much interest in their courses/sessions at the apiary that they have more H&S to worry about, plus are these bees going to find enough forage (not sure if he was being serious or not)? Apparently another neighbour a few doors away is the latest recruit....

Great to see so many people getting bees! Mine are really settled in now and I am getting more and more confident with them. Here is a photo of one of the frames with the bees busily making honey...

untitled.bmp

... check out the blog for more photos (and some of the piggies!)... here is another of MY bees on MY flowers...

untitled.bmp

... love to see more pictures of other peoples hives and bees!