Lesley

Bee Chat

I thought I'd got double vision! :wink:

I'll let you know how the construction goes. It LOOKS simple ... but I haven't really got it out of the box yet.

Is it out & built yet.... :wink: ?

I have a pair of handy men (well one man DH and a man-let DS :lol: !!) here who like tinkering with wood, so to put something together is no problem.

Ideally I would go to the BK auction which is in 2 weeks time & try to pick up one secondhand but I can't make it - unfortunately DH's college reunion is that weekend :( I know where I would rather be (and so does he!!)

Sha x

Well I was planning to start the flatpack this morning but due to various interruptions today I didn't get started till 8.00 pm tonight and didn't like to go on banging nails in with hammers for long (I have neighbours to think of). So not much so far! My next opportunity will be Tuesday night at this rate. Grrr! I'll let you know when things progress.

First sting on Sunday!

Not my bees, but on an Assoc apiary visit. It managed to sting me through my trousers... yep, my first sting was on my poor old bum (a large target for a bee, admittedly). I can gleefully report that I'm not allergic and it didn't hurt any more than nettle-rash.

Ouch! bet you're glad it's out the way though, I'm a bit scared of being stung in case I react badly.

Note to self, however cheap a flatpack is, it's not cheap enough. :roll: My DIY skills are minimal, as has been proved today! It's too late to post pics, I'll put some up later in the week though.

Ouch! bet you're glad it's out the way though, I'm a bit scared of being stung in case I react badly.

Note to self, however cheap a flatpack is, it's not cheap enough. :roll: My DIY skills are minimal, as has been proved today! It's too late to post pics, I'll put some up later in the week though.

It was just a time thing for us - we just found the first one so time-consuming that we vowed to find a ready assembled one we could afford.

Apart from Carl's famous bee sting episode ( :lol::lol::lol: - wish the camera hadn't been on the charger) he has been stung when crouching down - there had been a bee at the back of his knee.

Did you know....if you are stung by a bee, don't automatically swat is off :shock: ....endure the pain :cry: and let the bee unscrew it's barbed sting from your skin...it will then carry on it's way and may not die :dance: !

And bumble bee stings are not barbed, so they do not die once they have stung you....every cloud has a silver lining!!!!

I read this in Monday's Daily Mail but can't find a link to it!

Sha x

We have accuired a swam last week. Thought they were probably our bees but its a huge amount of bees and on inspection of the 3 existing hives it seems non of them are depleated in any way and the new bees are browner than our black bees.

They took a whole day to come round to the idea of getting in the skep and then going in the hive but now they are in and settled and seem quite happy.

There is a fence post near to our hive. We have had ours swarm to it once or twice and this is the second swarm of someone else's bees that we have had from this fence post. It must have a good bee smell on it that attracts them to it.

A lucky find for us :D

Our bees seem to be doing really well this year. Just thinking about doing a jar order :D

I'm just back from our latest meeting (a talk on agrochemicals...sorry is that spelt correctly :roll: ?)

I've met some almost neighbours who are taking delivery of their hive and bees tomorrow, guess where I will be visiting soon!! They also have chooks...oh so much in common.....and the best bit, I found out that someone in the group is giving up bees...not that that's good, but they will decide what they want for each hive and colony and if the price is right I will have one of them :dance: I am so excited again :wink::clap::dance:

Sha x

Our new swarm has cleared off!!!! :shock:

We went through our main hive last evening and then decided to have a quick look and see how things were going in the new hive......they'd been fine on Friday........just a handful of bees last night :(

We either didn't get the queen or they decided to move on :(

I've heard that's pretty common: that they will go into the hive, particularly later in the day when they know they need to find somewhere soon, then if it isn't to Her Majesties liking they disappear off somewhere else after a day or two.

Not much you can do about it, unforunately!

I dont know if anyone would be interested but the website below is selling the full bee keeping begunners kit for £199 they say the hive is a "slight second" what ever that means.

I am going to my first BBKA meeting on sunday! wooo

vectis-apiculture.co.uk/page4.html

The book I'm reading at the moment is a novel called 'Tales of Protection' by Erik Fosnes Hansen. In it the owner of a large house keeps bees and he talks about clipping the queen's wings. He says it is so if the queen decides to swarm then she will drop to floor and the swarm will drop down near the hive with her. This means they can be scooped back up and put back into the hive. Also during inspections she won't fly off.

Is this an old practice? I've not read anywhere in any beekeeping book about clipping queen's wings.

Clipping the queens wings' is still absolutely standard practice - here at least. As you say, it is to give an extra "safety net" if you lose a swarm.

Mine isn't clipped, but is marked (a queen with a painted dot on her thorax is much easier to spot in a hive full of bees than). I think I might clip in future.

Lots of people recomend practising marking and clipping on drones first - damaging a drone isn't a problem, whereas losing a queen is, and they're bigger than workers so will stay in the queen cage whilst you do it.

Been a while since I posted here; was waiting for my hive and suit to turn up. They arrived last week, so I made a stand for the hive and set it up in the garden. I was on the local swarm list, then a friend called me to ask if I wanted some bees that were on his allotment. I thought 'why not?' :shock: , so went down, got them in a box and brought them home. Managed to get them in the hive, like the books say, and they have been there since Tuesday night. I was SO lucky with the timing, and they seem to be staying put; so hopefully I got the queen too. I am trying to not to check on them, to give them the idea it is a safe place to stay. I gave them some sugar solution that first night to get them started, but since then the weather has been glorious, so I think they have had plenty of opportunity to go out and forage too.

Very excited. :D

Just goes to show that there is a good chance of getting a swarm once you let people know; especially the local BKA. Here are my new bees in my new hive...

untitled.bmp

How did you make the stand?

I've got my hive - even assembled it, I keep meaning to post some pictures - but for some reason I'm now a bit nervous about going ahead with bees. I need to email the local secretary and tell him I'm ready, in case a swarm comes in, but I keep putting it off!

Part of the problem is that I cleared an area of garden but then realised it's not as well screened from the neighbours as I thought, and I really need to tackle that before I put a hive there.

Well done Snowcloud, I hope they settle in ok.

I dont know if anyone would be interested but the website below is selling the full bee keeping begunners kit for £199 they say the hive is a "slight second" what ever that means.

I am going to my first BBKA meeting on sunday! wooo

vectis-apiculture.co.uk/page4.html

I haven't looked but just adding that a 'slight second' beehive should be fine. A good price for anyone starting out.

We've put our hives on a stand made from concrete blocks and a large plank of wood so that they are fairly high up......base is knee height .......and we've added the Thorne's alighting board so that they have a runway into the hive.

Enjoy your first meeting Toots! :D

Looking good Snowcloud :D

Mine hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting impatient. My neighbour is going to do the assembly and make a stand. I think I'll ring them later for a chivvy.

Olly - have you 'handled' bees yet? I expect you have but just in case why don't you ask your local BKA if there is a hive you can inspect, under supervision. I found it gave me all the confidence I needed.