Lesley

Bee Chat

Hello,

This seems really interesting, anybody else know about this? I haven't got any bees and I'm considering getting some for next spring but not totally convinced myself yet.

http://www.biobees.com/

Helena

There are strong opinions for and against on this topic, as I've seen on other forums! I can see the arguments for 'natural' beekeeping, after all I try and garden without using chemical controls. However I am definitely going to need the help of experienced beekeepers, and so I'm going to follow what I've been taught and what my local group use, at least until I have got enough experience to form my own view.

I do know that there's one beekeeper in my area who uses 'non-traditional' hives (or perhaps I should say traditional, because in many parts of the world these are the norm). He is the only beekeeper in this area who has had AFB and his hives had to be burned after an inspection. I'm not saying that proves that we're right and he's wrong, it's just one case after all, but I know that is one of the 'against' arguments.

A good expression "if you ask 3 beekeepers a question, you'll get 4 different answers". Some poeple do rave about TBH, but the only respect in which they are more "natural" than other types is the cells aren't built on foundation. You could do that in any hive, if you put empty frames in with no foundation.

Having a nose around the DEFRA website (as you do :P ) and found something which might interest you:

Up to £10 million is to be invested to help to identify the main threats to bees and other insect pollinators, under a major project announced today

Sounds exciting and a step in the right direction!

Have a look at this link to DEFRA.

I had heard that - it's about time they stumped up some proper money for research - the beekeepers have been telling the Govt. for years that there is a problem.

We missed the bee programme last night but it is being repeated.......we had an email from our Assoc.

Programme is being shown six times (!) on BBC 4:

Thursday 23 April 2009 9pm

Thursday 23 April 2009 11.30pm

Sunday 26 April 2009 10pm

Monday 27 April 2009 2.15am

Monday 27 April 2009 8pm

Tuesday 28 April 2009 2.25am

I'm sure I'll manage to record one of them :roll:

I watched it last night, although I fell asleep several times :oops: so I might watch it again! It was an interesting programme and I felt it presented the issues fairly, although there are more questions than answers.

I went to visit someone from the local BKA last night, and her garden is almost identical in size to mine (although much nicer! :mrgreen: ). They have their hives in exactly the same position that I'm thinking of and have kept bees for 14 years there. Apart from getting a bee trapped in my hair - she said that is very rare and she's never known it happen before! - it was really good as I was able to ask some practical questions e.g. about cutting the hedge near the hive, and so on. So, I've just ordered a hive online. I've gone for the Thornes budget kit, as when I priced up the bits and pieces it seemed the cheapest way to start.

The lady I saw last night is the local swarm control contact, so she and her husband get called on if there are any swarms around. She will bear me in mind if they get one. I don't have any bees in prospect otherwise, as all the sites I've seen selling nuclei are sold out, and they are quite expensive anyway. Fingers crossed that a swarm will come up (and hopefully not before my hive has arrived and been assembled!)

Well... sounds great Olly!!!

Thing is re: nuc's and swarms - it's only April now, and the alst couple of years have been shocking for queen rearing. So hopefully this year will be much better (it already is, really, some people have had swarms already!) and you never know, there may well be better availability as the summer goes on.

A lot of local Assoc like to try to encourage people to keep bees which are closer to being Brittish natives: the only way they can fairly do this is by trying to supply nuc's to beginners. You might be lucky and find your local Assoc is really good in that regard! Although lots do seem over-susbscribed.

I'd really much rather have local bees. Once I've got the hive (and assembled it :roll: ) and I'm ready, I'll start asking around a bit more positively. I have quite a bit of work to do in the garden before then, i.e. digging out about 3' of compost and laying some slabs - luckily I'd already bought some slabs which were intended for a WIR, but that's gone to the back of the jobs list now!

I completed my bee course today and so am a total expert :lol: ...not.

Anyway, it was great and good fun, got to ask lots of stupid questions to very patient and helpful bee keepers. It was only £10 for the day too. :D

Hope to get a hive ordered this week and get on the local swarm list... if you are on the swarm list, it is usual for you to be responsible to go and get the swarm yourself. I asked lots of questions about this as it seemed to be a bit of a job for a beginner to do, but I think I could have a go at it if one got presented to me; and I might be able to get one of the local bee keepers to help. :? .

I'll let you know how I get on... although I might get impatient and order a nuc commercially if the list turns out to be a bit on the long side :roll: .

:shock: I've read the theory about collecting swarms ... but I'm fairly sure that if one came in down here I wouldn't be asked to go and collect it myself, it's a job for an experienced beekeeper. Surely someone would go along to advise you?

A lot of the commercial sites selling nucs seem to have sold out. If you find any that still have them, please post about it. Thornes list is full apparently and another site I looked at said they'd sold out for this year. :(

We had to collect a swarm last June 1st - and there was no-one available to help :?

We were given advice over the phone and we read all the books we'd got. The swarm is best collected at dusk as the bees are more settled.

We had everything ready but we felt so sick just waiting! We decided we'd stop at the chip shop on the way home.......

We decided to pretend we knew what we were doing rather than say we'd never done it before - and no-one can see you knees knocking inside the beesuit :lol:

We had concentrated so much on all the practicalities of getting the swarm into our box that we'd forgotten one thing.............no-one reminds you that you have to drive home with a few thousand angry bees in the back of the car :shock:

We drove past the chip shop with longing looks.......too scared to stop in case any bees escaped! :lol:

Have a problem with my hive at the moment. Survived the winter! :D But unfortunately have a woodpecker problem! :evil:

He is gradually drilling in and the land owner has said that it regularly visits and pecks away, anybody have any suggestions before he does get into it?

Must check up on this week been a couple of weeks now due to revision! Hope the thing hasn't got through! :twisted:

Ow! Ow! Ow! Just been up for a quick solution and got an almighty sting on my forehead, I feel a little bit dizzy! :lol: My own fault for not doing my veil up properly. The rape is up in the fields by the hive and there is some honey, stole a bit as I couldn't resist. Opened up a new super for them so they can use it when they are ready.

I heard something about being cautious with oil seed rape honey, but I can't remember what, any ideas?

Hi all, thanks again for answering my questions.

I've been considering more seriously about keeping bees since last nights programme. It seems that bees really need our help.

It seems a shame not to put a hive in our garden as, really, it's perfect for bees. Our back garden has two large apple trees a damson tree and a cherry tree. Our front garden also has a cherry tree and so does our neighbours. Plus many other people up the road. These all provide tons of blossom/flowers.

We also have a lady opposite or house who's garden is just packed with brightly coloured flowers and I know most of our neighbours our also into gardening. I've been planting quite a few flowers over the weekend and hope to get a proper flower border in place soon.

Here are some pictures of the possible areas in the garden I was thinking of putting a hive.

Please excuse the state of the garden, and all of Zara's toys on the lawn :oops:.

Option 1.

beehives005.jpg

Towards the left hand side of the picture, you can see a large-ish tree (I call it the 'lollipop' tree) in front of the hedge, further right you can see a minty coloured tree/bush, I was thinking in between these two would be a good place, as it is sheltered and quite 'out of the way'.

Another pic

beehives004.jpg

Another one (on the far left, there is a large pond)

beehives006.jpg

The view from the hive area. There a few houses in directly in front of where the hive would be, as their back garden backs on to ours. I don't think this will be a problem TBH because, as you can see, the girls run is in the way of direct flight into their garden, plus there isn't anything of interest in their gardens, it's just over grown grass.

beehives008.jpg

beehives007.jpg

OR the second option, is down the side of our house. Not much down there apart from a gate :?.

(Please excuse the mess)

beehives011.jpg

beehives009.jpg

beehives010.jpg

Through the hedge is our neighbours back gardens. One is just flag stones and nothing else the other is just grass. Are the bee's likely to be flying in and out of the hedge, or will the go over the gate, do you think? Over the gate is our front garden, with the cherry tree and a large drive way. The only concern for this area is if the bees will be in and out of the hedge. What do you think?

ok, I'm no expert but a couple of thoughts: the side of the house is presumably a passageway. It might be best not to put the bees somewhere that people have to walk past frequently.

The other site looks good, but you'd probably want to put some slabs or something down - you'll need a level surface to put the hive(s) on, and you need to be able to stand next to the hive so you can take the roof off and work on the bees. If you face the hive towards the hedge, they should fly up and over it. Do any of your neighbours have young children? It shouldn't be a problem, but you'd want to avoid directing the bees towards e.g. a play area.

Have you found out if you've got a local beekeeping association? You might be able to get someone from there to come and advise you on a site - you'll probably want to join them anyway because that way you can get insurance. I'm sure one of the more experienced beekeepers on here will be along with a view, my knowledge is purely theoretical at the moment.

Hi Olly, thank you for your reply.

The side of the house is a passage way, but no-one ever uses it. In fact, bar yesterday, I don't remember the last time anyone went down there.

As you've mentioned, one thing to bare in mind is our neighbours have just had a little girl. Although the site in the back garden is a fair distance away from their house, I do worry about the bees being a nuisance.

I would take some pictures of the distance from the site to their house, but I don't think they'd appreciate pictures of their house being shown on a public forum. It's about 40ft away though.

I haven't joined the local beekeeping association yet, because I haven't quite decided whether I'll be getting any bees this year or next. One question though, during the bee keepers course, do you actually get to see an active bee hive, or is your first experience when you get your own bees? I'd rather see if I can handle that amount of bees before committing my self to a hive of my own....

Also, one more question, when is the best time of the year to start keeping bees? And do they die during the winter?

Hi Martin, you were asking about oil seed rape (OSR) honey?

It chrystalizes rock solid pretty quickly, so much so that the bees have difficulty removing it from comb once this happens. You need to harvest it as soon as it's capped.

Also, apparantly bees foraging on OSR get very grumpy as the flow comes to an end. No idea why, there's lots of theories but I don't think anyone knows for sure. Same for heather, they get really stroppy when moved back from the moors.

Although the site in the back garden is a fair distance away from their house, I do worry about the bees being a nuisance.

I would take some pictures of the distance from the site to their house, but I don't think they'd appreciate pictures of their house being shown on a public forum. It's about 40ft away though.

Our bees are only about 20 feet from the house at the front and not much further from the side and back of the house - we don't have any problems with the bees. Just make sure that your pond will provide them with water easily so that they don't go next door looking for it.

Bees will go through the winter, but if you've taken honey stores from them then you'll need to supplement with some form of feed. Late summer you can feed a syrup made from sugar and water but through winter you leave a block of fonant for them to use.

I hope your head is better Martin? (speak to Peter about removing rape honey - soon!)