Milly

Ivy

Is there anything I can do with ivy? Will it compost?

We had to take a lot off a shed (so we could put up some guttering for water butts) and off some trees that were being swamped. I have a huge pile of it. (And still lots more growing everywhere).

Milly

:evil: I wouldn't risk it - in my experience the bloomin' stuff will root almost anywhere. I'd either burn it, if that's an option, or bin it - I have a green waste collection, so I put it in that.

It might be ok if you have a very hot compost heap.

Def get rid - and paint the stump with some really nasty chemical to stop it growing back. I try and grow organically, but in a couple of places the ivy is just too much, so have had to resort to drastic measures! Plus the 'berries' are disgusting and the pigeons nest in it.... I know I know, all sorts of beneficial insects live in it, so I've left some where it can't take over the world.

Good luck with yours.

We have an ongoing ivy battle - I have to keep it well trimmed back. If I let it go unchecked it takes over! It has trunks as thick as my arm and is the only thing holding the fence up in places. Trouble is it's actually broken the fence in quite a few spots. We put it in the green waste bin.

I would say ours is as thick as my forearm, at least. We cut through the thick stems at the bottom and pulled as much as we could out of the tree. I'm just waiting to see if the rest will die off or if I will have to get the ladder out and untangle it.

Milly