sgregson

Today, for the first time....

... I fed chickens (letting them eat from my hand) and it felt wonderful :D:D

We took the kids out for the day to White Post Farm in Notts and there were lots of chickens of all varieties free ranging, so Josh (5), Ella (3) and myself (Ben aged 1 just enjoyed the view from his buggy!) got ourselves a bag of food for 2 legged animals. We also saw chicks that were just days old and educated the kids on the HUGE egg incubator.

Our chickens arrive on Monday and we are ALL so excited - the kids are counting the number of sleeps 'til they arrive :lol:

Sal

Our chickens arrive on Monday and we are ALL so excited - the kids are counting the number of sleeps 'til they arrive

You sure it's just the kids counting down the number of sleeps remaining :lol::lol:

Ok, you got me - I fess up, I'm counting the number of sleeps :lol:

Definitely :D Not far between us :dance:

Looks like you have coming two Gingernut Rangers and One Miss Pepperpot - Am I right :?:

I have one Gingernut Ranger and two Miss Pepperpots. My Gingernut Ranger is so funny, she's smaller than the other two and tries to squeeze in between them and always the first one to try something, definitely the mischievous one. :lol:

Jennyhenny

Looks like you have coming two Gingernut Rangers and One Miss Pepperpot - Am I right :?: Jennyhenny

Yes, 1 Pepperpot and 2 Gingernuts. Josh is having the Pepperpot and Ella and Ben are having a Gingernut each - names are already chosen :D

Thankfully Omlet are delivering between 8am and 11am on Monday so the wait shouldn't be too long and painful - I'm naturally very impatient!!

Not too long to wait then - Omlet are usually pretty good, our time was between 11.30 and 2.30 and they arrived at dead on 11.30 :D

Are you allowed to divulge their names or do we have to wait til Monday :lol:

Mine took themselves off to bed about 15 minutes ago so have just gone out and thrown a blanket and some old sheets over them so they stay quiet to a reasonble time tomorrow morning.

Do you have a large garden, mines very, very small :( Girls are right outside the French doors of the dining room. Mind you I can keep a close eye on them :lol:

Jennyhenny

Oh good, with a bit of luck it'll be early in the morning then - have already got my husband on the school run :D

Of course, Josh has chosen Rosie (think it's after one of the girls at school who he's got a soft spot for!), Ella has chosen Harriett (no idea why but she think it's funny) and Ben, well, unless we wanted a hen to be called 'what's that', 'hiya' or 'no' (as that's about his vocabularly!) I've chosen Tallulah.

Can't wait to see the girls taking themselves off to bed :lol:

Garden is ok - pretty average I think. I'll be putting them on the grass but whether this is true or not, people keep telling me that we won't have a lawn left by doing that so I guess we'll have to wait and see - don't think hubby will be too impressed if we have to re-turf :|

:lol::lol::lol: I would say goodbye to your grass.

My garden is slate chipped but they are starting to strip the plants already. The eglu is sat on wood chip with log roll border and the way they scratch the ground all day is unbelievable. I have to keep throwing the chips back in that they kick out :lol::lol: All the fun of GNRPPPP though :lol::lol: You will love it.

Lovely names by the way. :D

Jennyhenny

They've arrived!!!

Sorry for the delay ladies but I've had one hectic day :x .

Anyway, they arrived at 9am with 2 !eggbrown!:lol::lol: and then when I filled the nest box up Rosie was straight in (I thought she'd just come in for a nosey to see what I was doing) but she was straight in the nesting box and laid another !eggbrown!:clap::clap:

The chicken man (I always think of Toy Story when I say that :lol: ) said that Tallulah would definitely not be laying as she's far too immature so that means that one of them has laid 2 eggs today. We did our food shopping yesterday and bought a dozen eggs thinking that we'd have a little wait until we started the harvest :lol::lol::lol:

Will post pics of the girls at the weekend when hopefully it'll have stopped raining.

I asked the chicken man if when I put them to bed (shortly!) I had to crawl in the run and help them in :oops::lol: and he laughed and explained the torch method - so glad I asked the question :D

I'm thrilled with our girls already and my husband is already assessing grass damage :roll:

Sal