buffie

Not On The Label by Felicity Lawrence

Just seen an extract from this book and it's a real eye opener.

I am horrified to learn that oganic/free range birds are 'processed' on the same lines as spent battery hens and although I don't eat meat I feel angry that this is the case. I also feel angry that conditions for slaughter are considered to be ok for organic birds. I am obviously very niave but I thought that it would have a different process. :evil::cry:

I am very pleased to have my eggs from my girls! :)

Has anyone read this, I'd love to hear your comments?

Bx

I haven't read the book Buffie, but I'm not surprised. I think it's probably much the same for any organic meat you buy from a supermarket. We're semi-vegetarian now, but when I do buy meat I get it from Sheepdrove, where all the meat is slaughtered humanely on the farm. I guess they can do that because they are a fully self-sufficient organisation and have their own butchery there. The trouble with supermarkets is the volume they are dealing with, so I suppose that's why the same processing facilites are used - which is why I choose to pay more but feel less guilty about what I eat.

Hi Buffie,

I have that book on my pile to read. I've flicked through it, but not studied it properly.

I've also read similar eye-opening books, 'Fast Food Nation' and 'No Logo'. Both worth a read, if you can bear the upsetting bits.

I'm having a rest from it all at the minute, with my Square Foot Gardener, as it does get so upsetting sometimes. Defo worth a read though. You're more than welcome to borrow mine!

Thanks Gina, very kind. I'll no doubt pick it up from amazon at some point, I am trying to be sensible about shopping etc, you can caught up in scare stories and it can al be too much, eh?

Our dog is quite ill and has a vets visit today so think I'm very sensitive right now. I will read the book at some point when I'm in that better zone.

Bx

It's largely to do with the licensing issues for slaughterhouses - there always used to be lots of smaller abatoires/slaughterhouses but now there are just fewer bigger ones. I think there are more campaigns to have more local slughterhouses because there is quite a large group of people who feel that the unecessary movement of aminals for slaughter increases the risk of diseases spreading. I don't eat meat but if I were to go back to it I'd definately want to know that it had a happy life and a humane slaughter.

Yes, it is concerning. Especially when you think about the conditions and lack of care taken when slaughtering hens industrially. You might be interested in this website - they rear free range organic meat birds that are slaughtered in their own facility and they do mail order, althoug if you read the site some of you down south will be able to buy their chickens in shops if you wish. I always like to buy products from places that have standards I approve of for my personal peace of mind and to support firms that are doing the 'right thing'

http://www.sheepdrove.com/article.asp?art_id=38

I've just hd a look at sheepdroves site. I am often up Reading way with work - so will check them out!! I really hadnt realised that so called "organic free range" was not always as good an idea as suggested. I do remember an article on the radio where they revealed some organic farms have 1000s of chickens who therefore dont have a lot of room - and there were bully chickens who would keep the lowest ranked chickens either inside or outside by standing in the doorways. That was one of the reasons I wanted to get our own chooks, so I knew that the eggs from truly happy chickens

Sheepdrove have been great whenever we've used them over the last few years, and they have regular open days in SPring and Autumn, which are great. They're quite off the beaten track at the top of the Berkshire Downs, but it's an amazing location when you get up there, and the food in their little restaurant is yuuuummmmmyyyyyy!

Oh, and they also deliver for people who don't live nearby. My mother-in-law who lives in Leominster ordered her entire Xmas order from them one year and it arrived quite happily.

How fantastic! I've just ordered my meat from them for next week - what a wonderful service - truely organic meat, slaughtered as humanely as possible and although I'm slowly facing up to the fact that good food costs money it was very, very reasonable!

Also ordered my fruit and veg from fairorganics.co.uk

All I need now are some eggs! :wink::) (free-wheelers!!)

Thanks for the recommendation!