Lesley

Chickens for eating - NOT for the squeamish!

:shock: Sorry everyone, what am I like? :roll: When I read Lesley's & then re- read mine, I couldn't believe I had typed Paul. I was definitely thinking Carl, and had not been drinking!

Obviously should get more sleep, apologies to all concerned!

I'm also confused about the number of chickens. :? Do you still have 3 more to go, after Wednesday's three?

I'm sure you explained it simply, Lesley...now just speak even more slowly, I'll get there eventually. (Weds. 3 are for Christmas, then 3 more left?) :?

YES SHEILA, YESTERDAY'S... THREE... ARE... FOR... CHRISTMAS... - WE... STILL... HAVE... THREE... LEFT!... :lol:

We're thinking of taking them to Fenwoman so she can show us how it is done :lol::lol::lol:

(thanks to the Omlet clock, this looks as if i posted on Friday - but it is still Thursday - just to confuse you further Sheila! :?:lol: )

The end result - delicious! Everyone commented on the flavour. Carl was paranoid that we wouldn't have enough to feed everyone. Now he is paranoid in case anyone comes down with food poisoning :roll:

With hindsight, we would rather grow them through the summer and have them in the freezer instead of despatching in December - we were very luckiy with the weather. I spent over an hour on Christmas Eve pulling every last bit of feather off them and I can think of better things to do with my time!

2005_1226Christmas20050007.jpg

We had the chickens at 4 weeks old on 1st October so they were 16 weeks old. They dressed out at 5.11: 4.11 and 4.08.

Plenty of meat on them and evenly spread. We were pleasd with that because they are the Ross type which are bred for fast growing and we grew them as slowly as we could without them being hungry. They haver the most enormous feet and can grow to 12lbs. We wanted slow grown chicken which tasted of something other than cardboard.

Three left and they are still growing :? . They worked out at about £6 each compared to around £12 around here for an Organic, Free Range chicken of that size or less..

Well done Lesley - I really want to emulate you next summer - in fact have always wanted to 'grow my own'.

OH says no, as we pay around £1 a lb for free range. But I like the idea of hatching my own, and dispatching the cockerells. But we shall see.

I still think that you are leading the purest foodie way of life - for want of a better phrase.

It is snowing! We are supposed to be going to Essex tomorrow - oops!

Thought you might like to see some photos. We've just let all 9 out together. The 6 layers went straight into the Dinners side to scratch around. The Dinners don't scratch around a lot - they are lazy - so the ground becomes compacted. The layers are really enjoying themselves. The Dinners love eating the layers food! :roll:

The three remaining Dinners

2005_12279Chickens0001.jpg

'Dinner' and Lottie - notice the difference in size! Lottie is second largest of our layers.

2005_12279Chickens0009.jpg

'Dinner' and Poppy - the smallest of our layers (moulting at the moment )

2005_12279Chickens0004.jpg

They are all happily scratching around in each others area at the moment - not much pecking going on. They seem to like the change of scenery. They will all be out on the lawn soon as the sun is melting the snow.

Ah they look great. I have to say I wouldn't be able to seperate my feelings but the end result looks wonderful.

I found it easy to deal with the turkey this year as, out of respect, I wanted to prepare and cook it. Went well and everyone happy. Haggis was great if rather filling...We spent about 5 hours in the kitchen though as the whole process took so long! :lol::lol: Mikey says egg and chips next year!! :lol::lol:

BBx

We first divided that bit to provide a place for any new introductions to the layers. Ellie was in there for a week and popped into an Eglu at night. We just made it a bit more secure for the Dinners and added a proper gate. Yesterday was the first day we've allowed them all in together. They were all together today as well.