Lesley

Chickens for eating - NOT for the squeamish!

I've just split this from the topic 'Not on the Label' as it began to have a life of its own 8)

Hi Buffie,

I have that book on my pile to read. I've flicked through it, but not studied it properly.

I've also read similar eye-opening books, 'Fast Food Nation' and 'No Logo'. Both worth a read, if you can bear the upsetting bits.

I have these as well but haven't read any of them properly yet.

As you know I was veggie for 25 years until recently and we have decided to 'grow our own' chickens for meat.

I haven't mentioned it here before in case it upsets some?

Edited by Guest

I'm sure the majority of posters will be happy to know that your chickens will have a free and happy life before being dispatched and that it will be done kindly, swiftly and without distress. You know what you're eating and can be absolutely certain that it did have the best life possible.

You're still braver than me but it's something we would also do if we had more space.

Good for you, Lesley.

I won't name them for you then :wink: .

I agree with everything said here. All lot of my friends are veggie because of the way the animals are killed. What better way than to rear the animal yourself ensuring a clean, swift ending with no pain, and a happy life while they are with you - (oh gosh, did I go too far then?!)

Must admit though Lesley - I'd get far too attached. You're very brave :D

Good for you Lesley, if we had more space I would do the same thing just don't let Jake and Lauren give them names............ :lol::lol:

I know that you don't actually have to keep growers very long before they are dispatched so you shouldn't get too atttached to them and it will be different from the Omlet pets...........

Oh No! not as pretty as the Omlet hens Kate - just plain boring brown :?

I'd like to try Dorkings but they are pretty as well - I'm quite hopeless really. :?

We have bought a separate ark - not a patch on the Eglu - and put it in the sectioned off part of the run. We can't get any chickens until we've been away in August as it would not be fair on our chicken sitter!

Lesley, I think that's brilliant, not entirely sure that I could do it because I've become so emotionally attached to my chickens that I can't bear the idea of killing them. But I eat meat still, often get the guilts about it, but don't actually enjoy an entirely veggie diet (sorry, I feel quite ashamed admitting that, but it's kind of true :oops::oops::oops::oops: ). I buy organic from a local farm, back there tomorrow to collect next weeks fruit/ veg/ bread & meat, and will recheck on their slaughtering, but I'm fairly convinced that I got literature from them at the beginning about how they kill and process their beef and chicken and I'm sure it was OK. But I'm ever so supportive of you and your "brown jobs", and if you're ever looking at mail order supplies I'd definitely join the queue to place orders. Good luck with the enterprise, and do let me know if you're going into mail order.

It is what we used to do with all the surplus boys we hatched and it is actually a very satisfying thing to do. It does make a difference to how they are treated - ours all shared the same name 'Dinner' and definitely didn't sit on our laps. They had a very good life though and this was back in the days when you couldn't really buy free range chicken - the difference in taste and texture was amazing. When you are slaughtering or supervising the slaughtering of an individual chicken it is a very quiet, relaxed and quick process and I was always very happy that the bird knew nothing and had a good death.

I fully support what you are doing Lesley, and I think that once you have 'done' the first one you'll be comfortable with the whole thing. If you haven't already read it, then Hugh F-W's Meat book has a good reflection on his views on slaughtering and eating his livestock.

I hope we aren't upsetting any of the veggies out there. It's just that having had the privilege of growing up in the countryside with livestock I have very strong views about the treatment of animals from birth to death and get very upset about modern factory farming and meat processing. So I do understand those of you who won't eat meat for moral reasons. I've just taken a different route of being very fussy and adamant about the conditions all the meat I eat is reared and slaughtered under and supporting all efforts to change things for the better

I also support what you are doing. I dont think I could do it though - not so much squeamish as worried I would do something wrong and cause panic and pain (I remember a survival programme where they had to learn how to dispatch chickens and one poor chap got in a bit of a flap :roll: and merely succeeded in stretching the chooks neck (bit like an osteopath.... :roll: ) If I had the room and the nerve I would do it too. We arent veggies by the biggest stretch of the imagination but doo eat a lot of chicken and fish - meat from organic / free range sources / farm shops :)

Thank you both for your comments.

I did check with James about posting this on here and It's OK.

The man who cuts our hedges and who I've known since i was little used to keep chickens. When the time comes he is going to come along and show us here. We have decided to use a despatcher for the very reason Mel describes above :?

HFW's Meat book was the one that finally pushed me to source decent meat for Carl and also then caused me to not be vegetarian at home. It is an excellent book.

Desperately looking for another stress-buster for Carl (the chickens were last years project!), I booked him some fly-fishing tuition at a local stream fed fishing lake. Now if I could just get to like trout :?:roll:

Clever you Lesley, splitting topics. What power you weald!! :P

As a veggie, I wanted to add something. Obviously I couldn't despatch and wouldn't want to BUT my views have changed somewhat with life experience and age. Growing and eating your own meat makes sense and the welfare issues are taken care of, going backwards in food production is a positive step.

We actually don't like meat anymore (in the sense don't crave or fancy it) I used to want turkey at christmas but that went as soon as the girls arrived. I suppose the truth is we just don't want to eat animals but I happily eat fish, once again couldn't catch and eat one or 'prepare'.

It's good to respect others views on this issue and I think this proves we can support all sorts of ideas. The main issue is everyone here cares about animals and their welfare.

Bx

Good luck Lesley, I think its brilliant that you are planning to rear your own meat-chickens.

If we had the space, I am fairly sure we would do the same - there is no better guarantee that the birds are happy, healthy and exposed to no frightening experiences or suffering.

All the best!!! :D

:lol: Thought of you today Lesley .. as there is a scrawny black cockerel in the "Adopted flock" who is due to be culled, and also some of the old Warrens. I did mention about "Capons" ... but apparently they went out of vogue, due to the hormone use etc .. so we had a laugh about alternative ways of fattening up :oops::wink::P .

Keep us posted on the Alternative Birds ... :wink:

Go Lesley!

I think its great that you have decided to take the plunge. If we had more space we would do the same. I've watched and read so much about the way animals are reared and slaughtered in this country (ghoulish but with two young kiddies and no. 3 about to appear you want to know what they're eating...) and although I could in no way become veggie as I like meat too much, I have sourced a local farm who rear chickens and pigs (gloucester old spots) in free range, organic conditions. You can go and see them all running around in their respective fields. The meat costs more but the flavour... and we find we eat much less of it. He has put me on to another local farm that does the same with beef and lamb.

I quit all processed chicken products and cheap supermarket chickens when we got the girls as it didn't seem right.

Let me know how it goes ...