Stickybeaks

In a quandary

We've had our chickens about 18 months and it's been great - few problems and lots of eggs. But on Saturday Betsy our GNR was foxed. It was all very shocking and Elsie our PP seems to be a bit shocked too. It happened in the middle of the day when we were in and out of the garden, but that just goes to show how quick foxes are. Now I don't know what to do for the best for Elsie. I think she will be lonely without a companion, as she and Betsy were practically joined at the hip. Yet, having read all the stuff on the forum about introducing new chickens, I'm really worried about getting a new one. Are some breeds more difficult to integrate than others or is it just pot luck? Is keeping a lone chicken cruel? I'd be grateful for any advice - I'm still feeling a bit shell shocked. Can't even bear to look at her last few eggs in the fridge.

Thanks

Manda

PS apologies if this pops up twice as I've been having a few problems this morning.

What a shock for you :( poor Betsy,

I think some people have found it easier to introduce 2 more at the some time :?

There are a few threads about introducing new hens, although I'm not computer literate enough to be able to put it up here for you :oops:

hope you find the info that may help

karen x

So sorry to hear your news - it must have been a terrible shock for you, and for Elsie.

Single chickens do get very lonely - they are flock birds - so it would be kinder to Elsie to get her a companion (or two) quickly, so she doesn't get too lonely.

Introductions can be a bit traumatic - there is a lot of pecking goes on, but it normally settles down quickly, and the initial fighting is worth it, to see your lonely bird integrated back into a flock.

If you get two new chickens now, then it means that you are putting off having to go through the 'lonely chicken' predicament - if one dies then you would still have 2 left.

Thank for that advice. I think I will look into getting at least one other chicken as quickly as possible and just hope that the introduction isn't too bad. I see the sense of getting two more now but I'm not sure I could cope with that number of eggs. I'm going to have a trawl on the internet now for local breeders.

Thanks

Manda

Oh Manda, I am sorry to hear about the loss of Betsy. :( It does leave you feeling shocked for a time. I understand totally what you mean about the eggs in the fridge. :?

When you feel ready, it really would be a good idea to look at finding some new friends for Elsie. Sooner rather than later would be better for her and would also give you something positive to focus on. I would definitely go for at least two more chickens. I have introduced new chickens twice and it has always turned out fine after a short while.

Do let us know what you decide.

Good luck. x

So sorry to hear about your poor chicken

Why don't you go for a couple of ex-battery rescue hens?? Give them a good home as well as company for Elsie

As for the eggs, my friends at work are queing up to buy them off me. I have 5 hens now and not enough eggs (admittedly they aren't all laying at the moment) - maybe you can give or even sell some eggs to family & friends to help pay for chicken food & treats

I would go for two new chickens. I lost a hen to a fox two weeks ago, and was much cheered up by the fact that I still had three lively chickens left.

If you have three chickens, it makes it much less likely in future that you will ever be left with the depressing sight of a lone chicken.

If you are worried about having too many eggs, get pure breeds, not hybrids. I have a Wyandotte that lays about three eggs a week and a Cochin that doesn't appear to lay at all! It was quite a shock at first after only having experience of Omlet hens (who produced six eggs each in a bad week)

Foxes are everywhere. I would warn everyone not to assume because they have not seen a fox that they are safe.

Well I took the plunge and got a Barnvelder, Gretchen, and a Maran, Mabel. On the advice of the breeder I just chucked them in, not literally, and let them get on with it. Elsie is definitely top chicken - she managed to eat both bowls of corn simultaneously while Gretchen and Mabel tried to get a beak in from the sides. So far, no pecking - Elsie is just keeping out of their way. Hopefully, they'll all go into the Eglu tonight with no bother!

Well I took the plunge and got a Barnvelder, Gretchen, and a Maran, Mabel. On the advice of the breeder I just chucked them in, not literally, and let them get on with it.

great! I honestly (as I have said before) think this is the best way to do it! If there is serious trouble - ie. blood! - then try the gradual introduction methods - that have been very ably described on here...

but many times the chooks will simply sort themselves out without any elaborate introductory techniques!

glad you've got some new chooks - you'll come to love them just as much.

Phil

Things are going ok today. The new ones are definitely frightened of Elsie who chases them if they come too close but hasn't pecked them or not while i've been watching anyway. Last night, they were too scared to go into the Eglu and decided to roost on the arm of a plastic chair in their big run. So I was out there in the dark and rain trying to catch them with the help of teen daughter. We did manage it and put them in through the egg port. Checked on them before bed and they all seemed quiet. So, I think that it's been quite a success so far.

Thanks for everyone's advice and kind words!

Manda

PS now I need to change my signature box to add Gretchen and Mabel.

Good luck with your new hens. Our three are getting along ok. There hasn't been any bloodshed, but Elsie likes to give the two new ones a swift peck every now and then to let them know who's boss. I'm letting them free range a bit now that we've had them for a week (with me watching carefully) and I think that's helped to ease tensions too.