Budgies

Poorly ex batt :(

Sorry to hear that Laura.

Have they been with you long and have they been wormed and treated for red mite? I've heard that ex-batts that are allowed to then free-range pick up every kind of parasite really easily because they have no immunity against them.

If she's not been wormed I would recommend doing so with some Flubenvet, as it's so well proven.

You can use diatomaceous earth for red mite - and wash out the house with a poultry disinfectant too.

Good luck with your girl, hope she perks up soon x

Edited by Guest

Hi Laura, thanks for the update.

Well it certainly sounds as though you're doing all the right things as regards worming and treating for external parasites - I'm just wondering about the yellow poos.

There's a thread here in Poultry Health which might be of some use:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=29183

I think I'd probably take her to a vet if she's losing weight and condition so quickly.

Poor girl, hope you can get some help for her. :(

Thanks - I looked at that bit about yellow poos earlier. Her poos aren't like that at all. They are really watery with only tiny bits of solid poo in it. And they squirt out of her bum rather than dollop out (sorry, TMI).

:lol: Ah the joys of chicken ownership eh?

Glad to hear the poos aren't like those on that thread. As we've exhausted all the basics in terms of probably parasite infection etc, I would be inclined to get her to the vet for a check if possible. Might even be worth taking a sample of her poop along with you for them to examine?

Good luck

Egluntine's right, and because they've been kept in sheds, they haven't built up an immunity to all the bacteria and other rubbish that forms part of daily life for regular hens.

A hard one to diagnose, but try her on some Bokashi Bran with live yoghurt and a good poultry tonic in the water.

I suppose it is possible that whatever she's ailing with is infectious. She might have picked up something from a wild bird perhaps.

I'd take her away from the others if she's not doing normal chickeny things like dust bathing and pecking. You can sit her in a box on a wrapped hot water bottle to help her keep warm.

It would be worth worming her properly. Giving her a bit on a grape isn't going to make a huge amount of difference I'm afraid?

I'd start her on a proper 7 day course of Flubenvet and see if she picks up a bit.

Also, the bulge beneath her vent could mean that she has peritonitis....very common in the ex-batt/commercial egglayer.

Is she walking with her legs apart and does she seem breathless at times?

It sounds possible that she may have an egg stuck if the lump beneath her vent seems egg shaped. She needs calcium to help her expel it if that's the case (the calcium increases the strength of the contractions). Can you get her some Zolcal-d liquid calcium to go in her water?

Failing that, give her limestone flour or ground up cuttle fish bone - add the powder to any treats she'll take from you.

Laura I think she could do with seeing a vet if you can persuade your parents. She's obviously very unwell from your descriptions and we're all just guessing as to what might be wrong with her I'm afraid, based on our own individual experiences with unwell chickens.

A vet might be able to help you and save her, depending on what is wrong with her. Equally, if there's no hope of her getting better it might be kinder for her not to have to suffer any more, and a vet could tell you that too.

Any pet shop that caters for reptiles or caged birds (like parrots etc) will sell Zolcal-d, or if you can't get to a shop there are lots of online suppliers. If you check in the Frequently Asked Questions section there's a bit on suppliers.

You have my sympathies. I recently lost a chicken (ex-bat, Maisy, my 4 year old daughter's chook) to egg yolk peritonitis. She was waddling, slow and sad with a bulging belly but actually very skinny despite the swelling. Her poo was justthe same as you describe, watery and squiting. I thought at first that she might be egg bound and managed to buy some zolcal d from the vet without actually taking the chicken as you don't need a prescription. I knew te likely cause was EYP from the excellent advice here on the forum so made the tough decision to have Maisy PTS. Even my usually ridiculously expensive vet only charged me £14 for this as I told him more about what was wrong with Maisy than he did me. I know you will do your best to get her better/ make her comfortable.

Good luck and hugs

x

One of my chickens was displaying symptoms just like your poorly chicken, getting worse over a couple of weeks. Today she could barely walk but would still eat and drink when I put food close by.

The vet said it was likely to be a tumour or an egg. Unfortunately, an xray showed it was a tumour, so there was really no alternative but euthanasia.

It was very sad letting her go, but she isn't suffering any more.

I know your parents are worried about the cost of treatment, my vet charged a total of £27 .