Guest Angie

Chickens and Dogs

Just remembered an old farmers trick - info only not a recommendation!

Take said mutt and place in stable with large ram (for sheep chasers) or an aggressive cockeral. Close door and stand back. Observe and intervene enough to prevent death of mutt and end session when mutt appears terrified of ram/cock. Problem solved. More than one session rarely necessary.

yep - I'm inclined to agree...... and slightly less dangerous to the cockrell....my pup has terribly sharp teeth and doesn't seem shy about using them on feathers!!

Incidently, i wrote a much longer (and hugely amusing :lol: ) reply to the farmers trick idea last night... pressed something funky and lost it :?

my house is nice

:wink:

nah, it's ok here. I like it most of the time. It's just that it's not Newcastle. I was talking to another exiled geordie friend of mine yesterday, an old school friend, and he said hte same.

it's a Geordie thing.

*sigh* @ the north :(

:wink: I was born in Wiltshire .. Stayed till 11yrs old .. moved to Scotalnd stayed till I was 28, then moved to Cheshire ... yes .. I pine for the Northern air of Scotland :roll: .

Getting back to dogs

Other ones that have been suggested have been electric ones - like the ones to stop them barking....
I think these have been banned now. My brother used one on a Springer Spaniel .. training as a Police dog (the spaniel had been abused and was in a dog home .. very aggresive), that was 5 yrs ago, and he mentioned then they were going to be withdrawn. Having said that they were effective, and the said Spaniel turned out to be a great Drugs sniffer dog :!: .

nah, you can still get them. Problem with those is thatmy pup has fits as it is and I don't really want to put any more rogue electricity in his little body! I think we'll go for a squirty one.

Jasper ran SO fast at the netting around the girls' big pen today that he ran straight through it!!!!!!! :roll:

poor girls

squirty collar it is. i've found a place that hire tehm £10 a week) www.doggiesolutions.co.uk for anyone who wants it.

Caroline,

I'm really glad you are going to try the squirty collar, it really worked with my little black pug and he is a right little perisher! :twisted: I only had to use it a couple of times and it did the trick, I then only had to hold it up to show him and it still worked!!! :lol:

Good luck - I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Olivia

to get back off topic - there is something about Newcastle. Southerners who come up here for uni or jobs frequently want to stay. We regard 30 mins as an exceptionally long commute. The coast is 10 miles east and wilds of Northumbria a short drive west. People are seriously friendly. Shopping is good but no Waitrose yet :cry: , or Harvey Nics :cry: , but we have just got VV Rouleaux :D . Lots of Scandinavians come over for the shopping - as in tall, blond and seriously fit :oops:

Music and culture scene up here is brilliant - and it is only 3 hrs on the train to London!!

There you are - part of the attraction is the ease of visits down south!!!!!

ps - lots of things are much cheaper up here as well :lol::lol:

*what mother hen said* :lol:

you explained it so much better than I could.... it's the south - it does that to you!!

.... and the sense of humour.... the northern humour can be very dry ... and funny.... "Ooops, word censored!"ody gets me down here!!! hehe people think i'm serious when i'm not, they go and be all offended :oops:

i miss the friendliness most of aall though. Little old dears talking to you at the bus stop etc. If anyone talks to me on the tube down here, I immediately think 'nutter!!!! :shock: ' and i'm usually right!! :roll:

:( I have only had my Eglu and chickens for 4 weeks but have very sadly had to admit defeat and have arranged their return to Omlet. I have a rabbit/ pheasant/ pigeon/ deer etc chasing terrier who has been beside himself with excitement since the chickens arrived, I have tried introducing him to them on the lead but it has only served to increase his excitement and frustration at being unable to get at them. They have not attempted to stand up to him (not surprisingly) and I cannot see that he will ever accept them as anything other that something to chase/catch. I have enjoyed my brief spell as a chicken owner and would certainly consider keeping them in the future - but I would say forget chickens to anyone with a dog that likes to chase.

They both laid their first eggs today - and it's my birthday! :?

Hi Elmlou. Sorry it didn't work out for you. My grandparents used to have a wire haired terrier so I know just what they are like.

My parents are coming for lunch on Sunday and are bringing their Lab/Collie cross with them. It should be interesting to see how she reacts to the chooks as I don't think she has ever met any before.

sorry to hear your Terrier wasn't playing ball :?

i would have siad stick with it if I'd know sooner... we've had our girls for about 5 weeks now and YESTERDAY our youngest dog decided he was happier just sniffing rather than going in teeth first!

I know exactly why too.... it's cuz I just forked out £153 for one of those collars that squirt gas up his hooter :cry:

It's not even bl**dy HERE yet!!!!

that said, I am uber pleased that he's decided chickens are friends.

our final trick.... he kept going into the run when it was open and putting his head through the door (just sniffing most of the time but the odd growl and snap) After a while, every time he put his nose through the door, we flicked his nose! (poor pup!) he stopped pretty sharpsih. Same with the collection hatch.

now all we have to do is threaten him with a flick or say AH and he stops! :D

I may be %153 lighter but I am VERY pleased!!

Oh Elmlou, what a shame but thanks for letting us know, to add to experiences we can learn from. Happy birthday, & I'm glad you can have birthday eggs...how timely. At least you will have tasted some before Omlet takes over. Best wishes to you & lively terrier!

Caroline, congrats. on training, I'm glad its working. Typical of course that collar will arrive now! Hope you are enjoying your chickens,

Best wishes,

Caroline,

I am really glad to hear that you are going to try the squirty collar thingy because is really worked for me and the naughtiest black pug in the world (Mr. Bean). I was lucky enough to have a friend who owned one and she was happy to lend it to me. He was hell bent on chasing the chickens for days after we got them and I only had to use the collar a few times. Even now if he has an evil look in his eye :twisted: I just make a hissing sound like the collar and that does the trick ! :D I watched them out the window this morning and they were pecking/sniffing around the lawn all together completely ignoring each other!

Good luck - I hope it works for you as well as it did for me. Let us know how you get on.

Olivia