Guest Angie

Chickens and Dogs

Omlet have arranged collection next Saturday 30th April - so I have one more week to try to make my terrier understand that chickens are not for eating - but I don't hold out much hope. How does this squiter collar work? I fear that he would ignore any squirting in his desire to get at the chickens. If I take him into the area where the chickens are he shakes all over in excitement and remains very hyped up after I take him away and rushes around checking all the possible access routes. I would rather Omlet removed them than to find dead chickens - I have got very fond of them - especially the Miss Pepperpot who is much the bolder of the two.

(As a matter of interest do members generally find Pepperpots bolder than Gingernuts, or is it just my two?)

Hi Emlou

The squirty collar (its called a Master Plus) is a little blackbox which you fill with citronella that is attached to a collar, you also have a little remote control panel, the idea is that you put the collar on the dog, act nonchalent and hide the remote control in your pocket, when he is committing a crime (whatever it may be, chasing chickens or in the case of my friend, chasing joggers!) you press the squirt button and the black box squirts a blast of citronella up under the dog's chin - it is totally harmless but smells vile! My dog absolutely loathed it and it worked really quickly. I think it could be even more successful if you hide and watch through the window and squirt at the appropriate moment so he does not associate the squirt with you in any way. I have to say it really did work for me and my friend who has a huge lurcher who constantly chased joggers, he has been "cured" for two years now so I think it must work!

The only drawback is the cost, but I think I remember seeing a posting on the forum that someone had managed to hire one from somewhere - perhaps Kate with ther amazing memory will remember!

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Olivia

Thanks for all your help/commiserations - I wish I had made contact sooner but felt too miserable to - I thought it was stupid of me to even consider having chickens with a dog like mine!!!

I have done some Googling and found various options on hire/buy a Masterplus spray collar - I opted for www.doggiesolutions.co.uk - because of the three I tried to telephone they were the only one who answered the phone! Anyway they have a hire/buy option at £147.99 (refund £65.59 for up to 6 weeks), buy outright at £137.99 or weekly hire for £10.00 per week plus consumables - and they will send it out today which will give me a week to see if there is any chance.

I also tried www.dogdayz.co.uk - who have just returned my call - also very helpful and will allow return up to 28 days - costs slightly less, but have already ordered with doggiesolutions and they won't have on in until tomorrow and every day counts for me! Also www.dogtrainingproducts.co.uk who say they will allow you to retun it after 7 days if it doesn't work - but they haven't returned my call yet and the delivery time given on their web-site is 7 days. Both the people I spoke to were optimistic that it would work - so fingers crossed! I'll keep you posted.

Hi Elmlou

hope the collar works for you... we're still waiting for ours and when I got in tonight, the chickens were scratching around the garden and both dogs wer elying enjoying the sunshine... typical!

the other thing to try is to flick teh very tip of the dog's nose as you say 'leave'. We left the chickens inside the run adn the dogs out and whenever Jasper got het up (he was exactly the same, shaking and ready) we flicked his nose.

did it pretty hard for the first couple but then after that, just looked like we were going to and it has worked a treat.

on the collar.... you can also get mustard gas if teh cotronella doesn't work (yikes!!)

good luck!!

(and yes, our Miss Pepperpot is way braver!)

...also.....

the other thing that we have done differently with Jasper over the last few days is to spend an hour or two in te garden with him each night.

We just let him sit and watch the chickens outside their run for a few days and he stoped shaking after a while and then a coupleof days ago, we let the chickens out (they'll run back 'home' if they need safety) and kept a close eye, flicking whever necessary, an over the last four days or so, he has improved to the point that he's out there now following the girls about. the other dog is lying watching him and Pete is out there doing bits and pieces keeping a loose eye.... but more to check the chickens don't get into the veg garden!!

8)

:) Spray collar arrived this-morning and we have just had our first 'session'. Dog (Pepper) taken aback by the chicken's new-found weapon. He took to trotting round them in wide circles which the chickens were happy to ignore - which means he had the first chance to observe them out of their run without them running away. It only took a couple of sprays for him to make the connection and I also sprayed him when he thought he'd take the opportunity to investigate their run so he learns that it is off-limits too. I also gave plenty of praise and treats (which he had to share with the cat who had come to watch!)

I'm beginning to feel hopeful of remaining a chicken owner.

My only problem now is my husband who is concerned about the mess they leave on his lawn :roll: - I'm not sure the collar would work for him! (Although I feel that the more they can roam around our large garden the less of a problem it will be as the droppings won't be concentrated in one area).

I really hope it works out for you Elmlou. Fingers crossed that you get to stay a chicken keeper and that your dog stays nicely under control with the new collar.

Best of luck :wink: .

Oh yes, on the Pepperpot/Gingernut boldness subject - Jenny, my PP has always been a bit on the timid side where Clarry the GNR has been friendly right from the start and is the one we can stand around and cuddle for as long as we like. She's lovely but it took Jenny getting broody to enable us to cuddle her for long periods.

our collar arrived today too! Haven't had reason to spray Jaspy yet (tha'ts only a good thing of course!) but i'm sure it will do the trick.

The lawn thing.... Pete is a landscaper and therefore automatic garden expert! He moves the run often, just by a foot or so (about twice a week or when the lawn underneath looks tired) and then rakes where it was with a plastic grass rake. Our grass has honestly never looked healthier!

Pete says that chicken manure is about the best you can get and the richest so the lawn should benefit if you can manage to move it about a bit.

If not... don't ditch hubby (yet!) just give him a kick and tell him it's only a lawn and not to be so precious! :lol: (just kidding!)

Hi Elmlou,

I was really pleased to hear that so far the collar is doing the trick! If it will work on Mr. Bean :twisted: it will work on anyone!!!!

Regarding the poo on the lawn bit I have to say that I do a twice daily dog poo pick up (with three dogs it is vital!) and it is no extra bother to pick up the chick poo at the same time, the only reason I do the chick poo as well is that the children don't like treading in it and I certainly don't like them then walking it into the house!! but from what Caroline says it seems to do no harm to the lawn anyway.

Good luck Caroline with the collar but it sounds as if you might not need to use it - sod's law!

I left the conservatory door open whilst upstairs this morning and came down to find two chickens roosting on my favourite armchair - spoilt or what!!

:roll:

Olivia

:( I'm sorry to say that I have decided that for the sake of the chickens I am going to have to let them go.

The dog with squirter collar was OK as long as I kept a close eye on him - but he was still shaking with excitement around the chickens. However - disaster struck when the collar ran out of spray - as soon as the dog realised that he was not going to get squirted he was in there and a tragedy was only averted by lots of shouting and me chasing the dog who was chasing the chickens!!

I think that Pepper's instincts are too strong and a momentary lapse of attention would result in dead chooks.

So - I now have a squiter collar bought on a hire/buy basis - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this on the forum but if anybody out there wants one I would be happy to sell it on for the amount I would get refunded if I return it!

Our neighbour's little white doggie (can't for the life of me tell you what make it is but it is exactly like the one on the caesar advert) stares fascinated at our girls through the hedge - i have never seen him so quiet.

imogen - where did you get the red hot chilli pepper chickens - as i'd love some which looked like that (note to Neil - you can ignore this last comment ) :D

very pleased to see this thread today, lots of good info and tricks to try... our youngest lab is VERY interested in the girls. he has scratched the grass under the eglu so he can fit his nose in to sniff them!

We have had our eglu and chickens for 2 weeks now. Our 4yr old yellow lab is the main reason it has taken us so long to pluck up courage to have some chickens. I was convinced he would eat them immediately.

Initially he was very keen to get close to the chickens but they stayed in their run for the first 5 days and he watched them and was pulled back if he put his feet on the run or the bark chippings. He lost interest after a few days. When we let them out we kept him on the lead and made a fuss of him, fed him biscuits in front of them. Now he just tries to sniff their bottoms but being true ladies they turn their backs and sedately march off and he loses interest.

He scratched under the eglu, too. This is how we were alerted to the first egg. He went mad, trying to dig under the eglu to get to it. We have put a large stone in the way now!

reading this thread I'm realising just how lucky we've been with our dogs and our girls...

we have Fred Basset and Sam (a lab X), both were used to hens from when we lived in Ireland. When Ginger and Gertrude arrived it was a case of "Oh, those odd birds again" and neither paid a lot of attention except for sneaking in to the run for layers pellets... :shock: `

except in the worst weather, when we don't let the hens free range anyway, we've been in the habit of leaving the conservatory door open so that the dogs can maintain a 'fox patrol'. In recent weeks we've found dogs and hens snug and warm in the conservatory, cuddled up in bed together - hopefully our replacements for Ginger will become just as fond of the dogs in time 8)

My girls are only a couple of weeks old, but I moved them into the far end of the kitchen in a rabbit cage so the dogs could get used to them and they could get used to the dogs before they got too old. . .

All is going very well. The chicks are oblivious and are game for anything. The dogs are interested, but not aggressive at all.

My dog Saxen is the funniest. . he hangs out with me & the chicks (he just doesn't love when they jump on his back!) When one of the other dogs rushed up, just to check everything out. . .Saxen was "protecting" the chicks. Although Lily (the other dog) meant no harm and just wanted to see what was going on. . .Saxen wanted her to keep her distance.

I'm hoping introducing them early will deflate any shock value of suddenly having chickens in the backyard. They will just be another member of the household that the dogs already know. . .once they finally move into the Eglu.

A pic of Sax & the girls. . .

http://club.omlet.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=12005