Snowy Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 (edited) Omletteer advice needed please! My Dad has seen a house that he likes, but the one thing he is unsure of is that it was originally one of those with a big tiled area on the front, a bit like this one: House pic The house they have seen is in immaculate condition and the outside has been completely rerendered and is painted cream, so it looks lovely, but they are worried about whether or not these houses are more likely to have problems than a 'normal' brick one. Anyonein the know about this, or had a house that has had that kind of exterior? Bit of a long shot I know! Edited June 9, 2009 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 (edited) I'm assuming the tiles are the strip across the front of the house? If so lots of the houses around where I live are like this. Mine has uPVC fascia instead of the tiles but lots of them still have the tiles. I've never known anyone to have a problem with them at all. Mine was changed before we moved in and I've never had any problems either. The only difference being that our houses are concrete and not brick. My mom, sister and aunt all live in the 'same' house (not literally I hasten to add!) and have never had problems so unless something shows up on the survey it should be fine. Just to add I have lived here for 13 and a half years and my mom has been in her house for 29 years Hope this helps! Edited to take out SIP - means School Improvement Plan - guess what we've been doing Edited June 7, 2009 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 7, 2009 Author Share Posted June 7, 2009 Thanks Chickvic - yes that is exactly the style I mean, are they called prefabs or something? I did try to reassure him that, if they have been there for years, it is unlikely that they will have problems now! Good to hear from others as well though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 The first house than Him Indoors and I ever had was exactly like those...except that they were semis. On a recent trip down Memory Lane we drove past it...and it is still there.....30 years later....except with a lilac garage door. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 we currently live in one of these, but its a semi detached. We are having problems, but I think thats only down to the fact our landlord won't fix anything. The front and back boards are rotting through and don't look very attractive at all. But, even with that problem, the house does keep its heat in very well. Not sure about what the sound insulation is like as our neightbours are elderly, so don't seem to make any noise. Not sure how much they can hear from our side though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 7, 2009 Author Share Posted June 7, 2009 Thanks all. The one my Dad is looking at is a semi. I would also be worried about the wood panelled ones rotting, but as this one has had them all removed and been rendered, I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. And the ex council houses do seem to be well built don't they? I will reassure him and tell him to get his offer in - it's a lovely house, hope they get it! (Although I'll miss his old house - lots of room for chickens, veggies and in the middle of nowhere ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 We looked at a similar one and approached the mortgage company about it as we suspected that it may be classed as non standard construction but it wasnt, it would have been fine for a mortgage therefore (in my mind anyway) unlikely to be the type of house to suffer from big problems Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gem_Seb Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 my OH mum lives in a house like this and has done for the last 25 years i think! she has never had any problems at all. Our house is an ex council and we were told by many people we can afford to have the cheaper survey as they are 'well built'! hope this helps! basically if a mortgage compnay are happy to mortgage it you are pretty safe that you wont have any problems i think! that was the general rule when i worked in estate agents! l Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 7, 2009 Author Share Posted June 7, 2009 Thanks again all, I've reassured them so they will be putting their offer in tomorrow! Fingers crossed it all goes OK - theirs has been on the market for a while and suddenly they have a cash buyer so need to get a move on! It's a lovely house and looks beautifully cared for, I don't think it will be on the market long! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 They have some of those in sunny Bnabury. Apparently built 30 years ago and not intended to be permanent - they are still standing. I understand that the sound insulation isn't what it ought to be though A building surveyors survey for the purposes of mortgage isn't really worth the paper it's written on TBH, holds no guarantees and cannot be called on if anything proves wrong (I work in construction ). May I suggest that if he goes for it, you get a friendly and reputable builder in to give it a good going over and make a report for you so that your dad is going into it with the full facts. Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 9, 2009 Author Share Posted June 9, 2009 An update - I've been to see the house and it's an Airey house Like this It is made from the preformed concrete panels arranged horizontally, but the owner has put in cavity wall insulation and rendered it. I suppose it's a bit late now as they have put in an offer and it has been accepted, but obviously if there are major concerns about the house, there is still room for negotiation! It is beautiful - on a quiet little estate on the outskirts of Towcester. Anyone got anything else they can add?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 from what I've heard on Homes Under The Hammer, you might have problems getting a mortgage as they are built from non standard construction. If you do certain things to them (not sure what) you are then allowed to get a mortgage. But if you are a cash buyer, you have no worries. Unless you then want to sell it on later. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I like Towcester There's an excellent garden centre near that sells chickens I can let you know details of a good Drs if needed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 the only thing I can add is that yes, you may need to shop around for mortgage lenders, as some may not want to lend on an Airey (pretty mad when they have been up for so long!). Hope it all goes through, it sounds lovely x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...