Torrin Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Ok so I've had my chickens 6 days now. Always said I wanted to let them out for free ranging. But now the time has come I'm really nervous - mostly about how I'll get them back in the run! The two are getting friendly and inquisitive with me but the 2 still run at the sight of me even when I take out their corn in the afternoon. Should I leave it a while longer before letting them out? All advice on how to get them in again gratefully received! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BocBoc Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Your girls have had plenty of time to get to know their new home and come dusk they will take themselves back inside without any help. We were too impatient with ours and let them out after four days instead of the recommended five - they were fine. Have you tried hand feeding the corn to the not-so-human-friendly chooks? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
katieadams Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 We just chuck a handful of corn into the run and they can't get back in quick enough!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I've got a small tupperware that i keep corn in. I used to shake it and say "chook, chook, chook" to them before scattering some corn. All i have to do now is produce the box Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redranger Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 We just chuck a handful of corn into the run and they can't get back in quick enough!! It's funny isnt it - I never knew that chickens could run so fast!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I was very naughty when our chickens and Eglu cube arrived. I let them out after about 5 mins They all came home and put themselves to bed at dusk with no encouragement. They were at that point very nervous of us and wouldn't come near for a few weeks. They did however always put themselves to bed. Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redranger Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I just have to walk into the hen house these days, and the chickens all follow me in. Got them well trained Obviously I know you can't do that if you have an eglu... On the odd days when they want to say out longer, I pick one up, put it in, close the door, pick another up, open door, put it in, close door, and so on x 6. Takes no more than a minute tho. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BocBoc Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I've got a small tupperware that i keep corn in. I used to shake it and say "chook, chook, chook" to them before scattering some corn. All i have to do now is produce the box Same here - if we can get that far that is! They know the treats are on the table and if we set foot near the table then they swarm us!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Ok so I've had my chickens 6 days now. Always said I wanted to let them out for free ranging. But now the time has come I'm really nervous - mostly about how I'll get them back in the run! The first time you do it, do it in the evening - about 7pm or so at the moment. As soon as it is getting dark they will then pootle off to bed, and you won't be worrying all day! Also we found that the first few times they were let out they did not venture very far at all, just a metre or so from the run. Then each time they were let out they got a little braver, till eventually they crossed the path that disects our garden!! Now they go into every knook and cranny they can find, and leave nothing unturned!... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Let them out in the evenings to start with when you're around, and then gradually lengthen the time. If they're laying they'll accept a bribe of corn to get back in, but when they're not they won't I'm afraid. Let us know how it goes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Torrin Posted June 9, 2009 Author Share Posted June 9, 2009 Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have been using the same tub for their corn that I take out in the afternoons, although they don't seem to pay any more attention when I take it out than normal. May be they recognise it and are still too scared of me! Brilliant suggestion about letting them out in the evening. Hadn't thought of that. I was imagining chasing them around in time to pick up the kids from school! They seem quite used to their cube now, so will try this cos I think they'll take themselves in OK at dusk. Will be brave and try it tonight! They'll probably look at the open door and shy away in horror after all my worrying! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BocBoc Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Good luck! Let us know how you get on - I'm sure all will be fine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
emmamakeup Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 We had our chooks about four days before I decided to let them out. They wouldn't come near us but now when we have any kind of food in our hands they run quick sticks to us to snatch it away. They are very good at going back in their run - all I do is say home time girls, put a few bits in their run that they like ie a few grapes and they run for it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Torrin Posted June 9, 2009 Author Share Posted June 9, 2009 Hooray!! Have just let my girls out for about an hour. They were quite nervous at first but soon got quite excited about all the fresh grass they could eat and ranged over a large patch of garden. I sat on the floor and they happily came within about 2ft of me. Toffee even let me pick her up. One of them went back into the run after about 20 mins, and then sheepishly came back out after a couple of mins when none of the others followed her! But the best thing was I had no prob getting them back in. I just kind of gently rounded them in that direction and they trotted in. Of course when i shut the door they turned around and glared at me but i can cope with that!! I feel suprisingly elated about such a small thing!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 Our two old girls just go charging into the run to follow whatever treat I put down for them. The new Bluebell is very easy to get back in. Esme, the new Coral has her moments and I think that she is actually the cleverest of the four as she susses out that if she goes back in, she will be locked up. The others still don't seem to have worked that out! She is getting a bit better though so it is not too much hassle. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...