Juliette

Injured Chicken

I think due to the warm weather my chickens have been insisting on roosting on top of their Eglu run - I did try and put them in last night which usually works and it was dark but they insisted on coming out again. - they have an electric fence around them as well so we leave it on at night and have had no problems with foxes - with these warm nights we ahve found it useful as they can get up and go into their main run as soon as it is light and don't wake us up calling out to be let out! We were woken by a horrible noice last night and we think when it began to rain Pepper unfortunately got confused and got herself caught up in the fence - I was outside very quickly with the dog in case it was a fox! She has lost a lot of feather and bless her is trying to lay this morning though I am not expecting much from her - in the light of day she has got some open wounds on her back - I have read Arnica is good could I use tea tree cream on her back just where the wounds are - I am worred they could get infected - or a bit of tea tree oil diluted in a spray bottle and I could spray it on the area.

Look forward to hearing from you - and lesson learnt whether they like it or not they are being shut in their run - they will just have to put up with it!

I've moved this across to "clinic" for you. :wink:

I have used arnica gel before on a hen, or you can get the pillules also. If there are any small wounds/cuts you could bathe with salt water/tea tree water solution or if you have any that Veterinary wound powder is good.

I'm sure she will be fine, some hens are hardy little things, it probably shocked her more than anything.

Thank you for the advice - I have sudocream - magic stuff hadn't though of using it though - I have tea tree oil as well so can dilute some and use that - when I looked this morning it looked fairly clean and when she is walking around is covered by the other feathers - she is eating and drinking so I guess as long as it doesn't get infected she will be fine.

Juliette