welshnik Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 Hi everyone So Easter has learnt by now (2 weeks in) that if I appear, I normally have something to eat on me... and she comes running up to the door (where her food ball is) and just pecked a grape out of my hand before I had a chance to put it in the food ball! She's the Rock and quite different to the nervous and skittish Leghorn!! We let them out last weekend to free range (supervised) for an hour and loved it but it is obvious that is the boss and that follows what she does. It took a while to get them back in though - even with grapes!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PurpleTree Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 I've got 3 black rocks and they all come charging to the back door as soon as they see me in the hope that I've got food. I've found the easiest way to get them back into the run is to put a couple of hand fulls of corn in their treat bowl ( a plastic dog bowl) and they just follow me and leap on it as soon as I put it down, I just close the door after them then. I've even tricked them by getting them in with an empty bowl, they were in the run before the realised I hadn't put anything in it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KarenW Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 They learn fast We went out about half an hour ago to put them back in the run and they had already taken themselves to bed (bless ), but as soon as they heard us about to shut the run door, they came flying out of the eglu bok boking ready for some treats! Obviously having been so cute we couldn't not give them any corn Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 I "trained" my girls by shaking a tupperware with mixed corn in it, then giving them the corn (this was when they were in their run). Now they know that that sound means corn, and they come running whenever they hear the sound, so it tends to take about 10 seconds flat to get them back in their run They also know the sound of the door opening, so tend to come running whenever they hear the back door opening, which is very sweet and funny. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 They sound cheeky-mine are just as mad though, Dad keeps feeding them at lunchtime and so whenever he's back they run up the path! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
emmamakeup Posted July 8, 2009 Share Posted July 8, 2009 As soon as I open the French doors mine start making a right racket. Especially Berny (the Warren). They follow me around the garden now until I give in and given them treats. I'm too soft. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted July 9, 2009 Share Posted July 9, 2009 They also know who the regular "suckers" are and make a beeline for my mum! It can be irritating seeing them begging at the door (we've had to barricade it) - especially as the fridge is by the back door and grapes come from there. Heaven forbid OH wanting a cup of tea and I have to go in there for milk - checking to see if they can hear me (they usually do)! But they can be putty in your hands when you turn the tables to get them in later on in the evening! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...