bridgy chooks

Any hemcore users out there?

Thinking of putting our chooks in a permanent place in the garden for the winter with hemcore as the base. The lawn just isn't recovering each time we move them as well as it did in the Summer now we're heading towards winter. The chooks are allowed to free range on grass when we're not at work.

Just wondered how often you need to change the hemcore in the run?

Thanks

In the eglu run I had to change the hemcore once, sometimes twice a week as it got soaked, even with the winter shade on. Now they are in a bigger converted workshop which is bone dry and I havn't changed the hemcore for 3 weeks. It still appears fairly clean and there is no smell. The poo seems to 'diappear' into it!

Are - how often you should and how often I "do" change it - probably two different things :oops::lol:

I have been looking out the window all day today thinking I'll get round to changing it in half an hour....!!!!! :D

Our run is on slabs - with Hemcore on top, so it doesn't go anywhere unless it is changed. I probably get round to it every 8 weeks or so, in between I sometimes just rake out the worst bits and top up with fresh stuff.

I find it easier to deal with than bark - as it's lighter so not as much effort to change a run full, if you see what I mean :?

yup, i change my about every other month. I put loads in the bottom of the droppings tray and change that more often though :lol:

it seems like the poo does disappear in the run - i know it must be there but i can't find it. The girls love hemcore though - they create the most exciting landscapes with it and they can dig all day long. :D

I clean out the hemcore once a week in the run. Not that because it gets smelly...its just me...I like doing it :oops: and I like the girls to be all cosy :D

A bale seems to last me ages though, and I wouldnt use anything else!

If we are away, or for some reason im unable to clean out the run...I just rake off the top layer and scatter some fresh over the top to "make do".

I have just put a hemcore base down in the hen hotel and the girls are loving it! :D

I used 1 & 1/2 bales and this covered an area 4m x 4m square with quite a thick layer.

I also use it in the Eglu tray too - newspaper on the bottom followed by a topping of hemcore.

I agrre - the pooh just disappears! :shock:

I use wood peelings which I get from the log merchant who lives down my lane - the peelings are placed over bare earth and replenished every 2 or 3 months. There is not usually a need to rake because the girls do this themselves. As with hemcore - the poo just dissapears. The girls have always been very happy on it. It doesn't go soggy and the girls love pecking around in it for little bugs :wink:

I have never seen hemcore but everyone else gives good reports. I only stick to my wood peelings because its very easy and cheap - logman lets me help myself (I jam packed a big dustbin and a recycling crate at weekend for just £2 :D )

Thanks for your replies, hopefully we won't need to change it that often as the run is now next to the house and under an overhanging room so the hemcore will stay nice and dry.

Put the hemcore down when we got home tonight so hopefully the girls will find it a nice surprise in the mornin!

Gabbi still hasn't laid...

I'm a recent convert to hemcore after reading about other chicken keepers' experiences with it. I think it's great! My girls have had hemcore in their run for four weeks now and I haven't needed to do anything to it. They love scratching around in it - it's true, they do create interesting landscapes!- and the poo is undetectable! :D