Mrs Frugal

Blackrat, I can see you lurking there - come on, join in!!

Hi Kate,

The holiday was really great, stuck on a patch of white sand in the middle of the Indian Ocean for 2 weeks with as much to eat and drink as you could manage, no cars, no shops, no tv, no papers, the only stress was whether to choose Tiger beer or San Miguel or maybe even a cocktail! All this and living in a palm thatched mini cottage. The only noises were the sea lapping on the beach (2 paces from the door) and the occaisional sea-plane bringing more beer.

Trouble was I got a bend while diving right at the end of the holiday and was very ill on getting home. I am making a good recovery but have slept for nearly 2 weeks having got home. The Docs told me no work or driving for another 2 weeks, I just wish I was well to enjoy the time off :?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Nice to see you lurking on the threshold!

How's it going? Come on in and tell us about your holiday then!

Hope you're OK :D .

The holiday sounds just horrible Stuart - how did you manage to endure 2 weeks of such hell!!! :lol:

Sorry to hear about the bends. That must be awful and there's nothing worse than enforced rest when you want to be doing things. I hope you're 100% again very soon and can do all those things you want to do again - although maybe give diving a wide berth for a while :wink: .

Nice to see you on the forum again - hope you're going to keep on posting :D .

Hi Kate,

It was tough but someone had to do it. It was part of my campaign to help after the Tsu...Sooon....big wave. Not that they suffered any problems there, but at least I showed them solidarity by drinking them dry.

As for the diving, it was something I enjoyed, but will probably have to stop for Mrs Reapers health, who would do the reaping?

Stuart

The holiday sounds just horrible Stuart - how did you manage to endure 2 weeks of such hell!!! :lol:

Sorry to hear about the bends. That must be awful and there's nothing worse than enforced rest when you want to be doing things. I hope you're 100% again very soon and can do all those things you want to do again - although maybe give diving a wide berth for a while :wink: .

Nice to see you on the forum again - hope you're going to keep on posting :D .

Oh absolutely - even with a laser stare, I think it might be quite a job for Mrs Reaper! I see you're still well enough to do the Grolsch adverts though - very well acted, I must say :wink: .

Nice to see you helping to diminish the liquid levels on holiday!! What a brave thing to do - something I enjoy once in a while too, especially a nice chilled cider!

Trouble was I got a bend while diving

Hi stuart,

forgive me for being ignorant...but what's a'bend'? Doesn't sound very nice whatever it is, hope you are feeling better.

In comparison, we've spent a lovely week on the ireland of Wales :wink:

Cold sea lapping at our toes, wind blowing sand in our faces and sandwiches, rain lashing down as our tent sailed away into the sunset.......

Arrr...the good life.

The maldives even with the Bends sounds like heaven Stuart 8)

I have 52 weeks in the Borders so i feel your pain Kate. Trouble is I don't like going away - I like the idea but when I am gone all I want to do is get home....................gosh I sound agarophobic but I'm not :lol:

It is good to see you still doing a spot of reaping Stuart :shock:

Ooh that holiday sounds good - just what a lot of us could do with - and glad to see you are showing your solidarity for the Tsu-soo-big-wave by drinking them dry - my kind of life!! I'm not going to winge about no summer holiday - we had 10 days in Finland in March husky-sledding - FABULOUS!! good to meet you Stuart / Reaper (Sir?) Hope you are feeling better now and that the bends didnt totally rid you of all the relaxing you did!!!

8) Good to see you on forum Blackrat, although you are of course ever present, lurking in the shadows.

Glad to hear about the holiday 8) but bends sounds yuk :cry: ; good thing it was at end of holiday, not beginning. Hope you feel 100% well very soon.

Best wishes to you and Mrs.Reaper.

Oooooooo - thanks for that Kate. That's quite complicated so now I don't feel so silly for not knowing about it. I was going to ask you to delete my comments so I didn't look foolish! What a great web-site.

Stuart - hope you recover soon from your decompression (I think that's the right word :oops: )

As they say on the hair colour adverts, now for the science.............

Decompresion Illness is caused because of the air we breath! Ok on the surface, but at pressure under water the air is forced into tissues via the blood at a higher rate. The oxygen in the air is used by the tissues (no problem) but nitrogen about 78% of air is not used at all and just stays in the tissues.

As you start to come up the nitrogen comes out of solution (Open a bottle of fizzy pop and you can see the nitrogen come out of solution). In your body this is more dangerous because your lungs then have to work hard to get rid of all this nitrogen that is suddenly let loose.

If you come up too quickly, the body just cant cope and some bubbles remain. These bubbles sit on nerves and prevent oxygen getting to them and the nerves die (they can't grow back) This causes a problem and at its most serious causes death.

Even if you come up slowly, you may be unlucky and still get trapped bubbles. If you are over 45, unfit, drink too much, are unwell with say a cold, dehydrated or any other minor ailment you could be unlucky. My dive went well, so the doctors think that it might be due to something similar.

In my case the bubbles affected my right arm (all of it) and the right side of my brain. I spent a total of 12 hours in a naval decompression chamber at Gosport and am making a recovery although at the moment I am a bit slow and have a bbbbbbad sttttttutter. The nerves re-route via good nerves and by-pass the dead nerves although there are likely to be protests by some of the cells as not everyone will be in favour of the bypass and will probably form communes and lie in front of the bulldozers and tie themselves to trees :roll:

The good news is I am hoping to make a complete recovery back to village idiot over the next few weeks

You did ask

Stuart

:shock: Oh My Life Stuart - that does sound serious!

I had no idea it would cause such movement inside the body. Gosh, I hope you recover back to village idiot status soon.

Although I live in Leicester, I know Gosport, S,hampton quite well. Have a friend who lives there. Nice part of the world that.

good luck with your recovery..... :?