Now I have found out how to post pics I can show my new home made roosting bars. I bought the wood from Wickes, It would be possible to buy enough wood to make three sets for £6, handy if you have more than one eglu!

Mychickens009-1.jpg

Mychickens008-1.jpg

You may notice that there are fewer bars, this is because the wood I used is slightly wider and I think a bit more comfy for the chickens!

Well Martin, I went out into the woods and identified a few saplings................... :wink:

Sorry :lol: , measured the old set of bars, bought thinner wood for the support pieces underneath, (it is called PSE doorstop and cost £1.09 for a piece 2.1m x 12mm x 32mm) and a pack of kiln dried 19mm x 32mm x 1.8m (cost £3.89 but you get 8 pieces). Cut 'em up to the correct lengths then hammered some too long nails in which I knocked back on themselves on the reverse for a bit of stability. Be careful here though as the wood may split. Sanded the finished bars down then painted some wood preserve on them (a clear liquid) and left them to dry out and lose the smell of the preserver. During this time I sanded them again as the preserver had lifted some of the grain. They needed minimal sanding but I rounded the edges with a sanding block so they weren't too sharp for delicate chicken feet.

With just one more piece of the doorstop wood there would be enough to make 3 sets of bars (I think)

oooh you are a clever thing! They look so professional! :clap::clap: Well done!

BTW I tried to order some replacement bars from Omlet (just as a back-up in case I step on them & bust them or something). They can't ship the bigger replacement parts to the US currently.

So pack your bags girlfriend! I foresee a whole new career for you stateside! US supplier of replacement nesting bars - there's pioneer spirit for you! :lol::lol: (and if you don't fancy that, I have a wooden deck that needs rebuilding - could you take a look at it?) :wink::wink:

:? - nesting bars are not that big - I send bigger things than that to the USA on an almost weekly basis :?

Same here Sarah, my OH has even shipped an exhaust pipe and a car engine........... :lol:

xraylady if you need some bars just contact me I can purchase them over here and parcel them up and post them surface mail for you I am sure they won't cost much to post and I think they are half price on our site at the moment, just send me a PM I am sure I can help......... :D

Very good. I was thinking I need some new ones as mine are a bit wobbly and stained, (what do you expect after a year's use though!!!) Will get Dad to buy the wood some time and make them myself.

Wow Martin, I didn't think there was much I could do better than you. Proved myself wrong!!! Mind you I did get a lot of practice hammering and sawing wood last summer making the hen coop before I finally got the eglu!!!

Thanks for all the offers to send replacement bars. It is not an urgent thing, mine are fine. I was just ordering some more egg-boxes & thought, I'll order a spare set of bars while I am at it.

The egg-boxes hit a glitch anyway - problem making the Visa payment work transatlantic or something. Got to call Omlet tomorrow & see if it is sorted.

So again, thanks for all the offers of help :) , but the hassle of transferring funds to the UK for the purchase & shipping costs probably means its not worth doing until I DO step on the bars by accident :doh: & bust them!