Chooks Aloud

Storing Eggs

Thanks - the reason that I was asking is that my daughter who is at uni has got 2 eggs left, she has kept them out of the fridge and has had them for 3 weeks like this. Would they still be safe to eat? I told her that if she puts the eggs in water, if it sinks it's fresh, if it goes half way up then it's a few days old and if it floats to chuck it out. Am I right? Has anyone else eaten eggs 3 weeks old?

They'll be fine, but I would do the bowl of water trick just to see!

We had a huge debate a while ago about whether to store in the fridge or not... and then it turned into an egg fest of what to buy to store those lovely eggs in :lol::lol:

I'll see if I can dig it out.

I think the consensus was that room temp is best (supermarkets don't store them in chillers) and as ours would get eaten so quickly after being laid, they would be incredibly fresher than any eggs you could buy elsewhere. Baking demands all eggs be room temperature before you use them..... :D

Off for a hunt

Ah! Here it is.... http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1488&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fridge&start=0

here we go again........................

*clamps hands over ears*

*squeezes eyes tight shut*

I do not need more egg holders I do not need more egg holders I do not need more egg holders I do not need more egg holders I do not need more egg holders I do not need more egg holders I do not need more egg holders...............

:wink:

we keep our eggs in these (we have 2 hens, 1 brown 1 white) and the eggs laid go into the correct pot ! :D

845959533133_0_ALB.jpg

I tell you what, if you need one of these egg holders, you need look no further than a charity shop. Earlier this year, I visited four in one town, and each one had a brown hen-style egg holder in!

I have a 12 holder from Matalan, cost £4 and is cream ceramic.