Guess what?

My chickens have arrived, YES. :lol:

( the above, sounds better if you sing it!!!) :roll:

I'm so eggcited!!!! :mrgreen:

I have been watching them for a very long time. My first observation apart from them being very pretty, is they do alot of eatting and the second thing they seem to do is poo lots!!! :lol: What a fantastic life a chicken has, not a care in the world, just bring on the food.

I could watch them for ages. :D

Sammi-x- :)

Wahay, Sammi!

I'm thrilled they've arrived :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: !!

Well, what names did you choose after all?? I hope you'll add them to the list in the chickens section! Can't wait to see what you went for!

Enjoy your girls - I know you will :wink: !

Don't forget to post the first egg photo in the gallery either and we all want to know how you cooked it!

Best of luck!

HeeHee.

I will add my chickens to the name topic but I'll tell you here too, because i'm just so excited. :D

Okay, I have a (green eglu) and Three chickens. They are called...

GNR Rosemary.

GNR Sage.

PP Parsley.

There was an egg in the box (still warm) when they arrived, which we think GNR Rosemary laid but I'm not going to count that one :roll: I want the first one to be the one I get out of the eglu. Bit silly of me, but thats just me :!:

This is sammi J The chicken keeper signing off :lol:

Wow! Great names - what fun!!! I'll never forget the day the chickens arrived in their little box of straw, clucking while watching their eglu being set up for them!! It didn't take long for them to get settled down and only a few weeks until the first egg. Lucky you, having an egg on arrival!!! Good luck for the first egg in the eglu! And have fun with the chickens - always a laugh and a good conversation point! :D

Thanks Imogen and Kate.

Hubby and I had a really funny time trying to get the chickens in the eglu tonight. At one point I was laughing so much I was crying.

Picture this... Foggy and dark, two chickens, GNR and PP gone to bed in there new home. The third chook GNR still outside making very quiet noises. Hubby shining torch light at eglu to encourage Rosemary to go in. "OH" say Sage "it's bright, must be day time already lets go and eat". So out she comes.

mmm, that didn't work next plan... So now I'm holding egg port door over hole while hubby shines a touch into eglu. Sage is straight in, But Rosemary is walking the slowest walk I have ever seen. The batteries are going in the torch and its getting less powerful and we're both egging (sorry couldn't resits :roll: ) Rosemary to get in before the light goes out, or before the other two decide to come out again because it must be day time. I also get a fit of the giggles, as I think if the neighbours could see us now. I try to stop laughing Because Rosemary stops her very slow walk everytime she hears me laugh. But trying to stop, knowing you have to stop only makes you laugh more (why is that :?: ) Anyway, just as the torch fades to a glow Rosemary is in the eglu and I just manage to see the door lock through my tears and the fog before she can get out again.

Well that was brillant, lets hope they have got the idea now or else I will have to stock up on torch batteries and their is also a chance the neighbour could get me carted away if I keep lerking in the fog. :shock:

Sammi-x- :lol:

:D:D:D:D:D How funny! That did make me laugh! At least your chooks are more obliging than my two - on the first night we had them, when it started to get dark, neither of them showed any signs of getting into bed (dirty stopouts!) My parents and I stood outside for about an hour, trying to get them into the eglu using gentle arm movements! Very amusing!! After a while of standing out in the cold, and it was getting quite dark, I picked them both up and posted them through the eggport :oops: I read somewhere that someone else had to use this method!! Not very elegant but effective! It was on the third night of having them that they finally got the idea and put themselves to bed - I was so pleased with them!!! My friends can never believe that chickens put themselves to bed and have to see for themselves! Everyone always asks how they are at school - they've become quite a celebrity!! (Though not as much as my dog, who came into school once for an English speech... but that's another story :D )

Sammi - have you let your chooks out of the run yet, or is it too early? Let me know when you do - that's always a nervewracking but amusing experiance!

Thanks guys glad you enjoyed Day 1.

Here is Day 2: Hubby got up before me so he let the girls out and fed them and when I got up I checked for !egg! , we had our first (green eglu)!egg! . We think this one was by PP as it was different from yesturdays. And I checked the water. :roll: Oh no, hardly any water. So I open the run door and took the peanut over to the tap to fill up, not a care in the world ( do you know what I'm going to say yet :?: ) Back to the run, open the door :shock: 3 chickens all running towards me like someones dipped me in a large bag of layers mash and I'm covered from head to toe! Well needless to say that run door got closed mighty quick. So instead of opening the door fully I go for the hold the door slightly open with one foot while squeezing my arm in and trying to reach the side of the run (without the water spilling). While carrying out this manoeuvre(is that spelt right? James we need spell check on this forum :oops: ) I have 3 chickens all by the door and Rosemary is trying to squeeze her head out, Oh and how much water do I have in the peanut? About the same amount that was in there when I thought "gosh they havn't got much water better fill it up, yer great plan. :?

So off I go and fill up the peanut again and also make a quick stop at the fridge. And 5 minutes later I'm throwing sweetcorn down the run towards the (green eglu) and the chooks are running up and down really fast ( why couldn't Rosemary go that fast last night when I was standing in the fog? :roll: ) they are trying to get the sweetcorn and get back to the door before I can hook the peanut up. PPGNRGNR

Ha, I showed them who rules........they do. I couldn't get it on the run before they made it back to the door, so I left it on the ground. Tomorrows plan, CHECK WATER BEFORE LETTING THEM OUT :!:

I still love my girls though and I did a little dance tonight when they all got into the (green eglu) without the need of a torch.

This is Sammi J the great chicken keeper (yer right)signing off. :lol:

-x-

P.S It's foggy here again so don't think neighbours saw dancing. :oops:

:lol::lol: fantastic!! Luckily, I've finally mastered the routine and technique of letting the chickens out in the morning before I go to school! Tricky, but worth it! Lovely names for your chooks by the way (have I said that already?) :D Let the good chicken times continue!

I tried the Broom routine but after being half in the run half out (guess which halves, gald the neighbours weren't watching:oops: ) and still not being able to get them to go in we tried other methods.

Glad they take themsleves to bed now :wink:

So far, mine have been quite happy to go into their eglu when it gets dark. They just take themselves off to bed without any fuss. The only time I had a problem was when I was going out for the evening at the weekend. I had to leave at about 17:30 to get a train. As it wasn't dark then, the chickens decided it wasn't bedtime. Try as I might, I just couldn't get them to go into the eglu. I tried enticing them with a handful of treats, putting my hand through the eggport to try to encourage them through the eglu door. That didn't work. They put their heads in, but wouldn't go all the way in. I'm sure they knew what I was trying to do :roll:

I ended up going out and leaving them in their run. When I got home late, there they were, all snuggled up in the eglu, so I closed the door :)

hey everyone

just managed to harrass my mum into phoning up the lovely people at omlet and they said they could deliver on sunday!! unfortunatly it now turns out they cant :( so i wont have my chickies till 11th april! :cry:

i dont know how i'm going to be able to wait that long

jenni .x.

Hi Jenni -

Sorry you've got such a long wait. In a way it's a good thing because you'll learn heaps from the various forums around before your girls arrive and you can chat to us too! Now how's that for an incentive!! Time will fly, you see, and you'll have your girls before you know it.

Keep on posting and thanks for filling out the questionnaire! We're such a nosey lot, aren't we - mad, nosey but friendly, I hope :wink: !

Hi Jenni .... theres an article in todays Telegraph Magazine re.chook keeping and features a red Eglu .... so you might like to check this out. If you don't have a copy ... you can veiw stuff on-line .. I should hazard a guess at ... FORGET IT .. DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

Edited by Guest