Milly

Aubergines

I don't think anyone has posted on this topic (by which I mean I can't find anything). Has anyone got tips on growing aubergines? Full of enthusiasm and fooled by the hot spring, I sowed some aubergine seeds in early May. They duly germinated and I planted them out in my greenhouse beds when they were about 9 inches or so high. And since then, nothing has happened :( They haven't died, but nor have they grown as far as I can see.

I saw some in a garden centre a few weeks ago and they had attractive flowers on them. I haven't even got that far. Is it too cold/too shady/ too whatever? to grow them? Or do I need to be more patient?

Milly

They're fickle little devils, if you've no flowers yet you're unlikely to get any ripe fruit now I'm afraid :?

Give them another week or two and a good feed. Mist from time to time to encourage flower set...you never know your luck. If there's still nowt happening I'd give them up as a bad job.

It's probably a weather thing. They usually like the same treatment as the toms. The larger plants that I have are a bit sporadic, but this time I tried a mini aubergine plant and they are going great guns - but they are being munched by a slug or snail getting in somewhere. The fruits are the size of eggs - had two already, but I think it was too early (too eager).

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_22_44_66&products_id=2677

Actually looking at that pic, I'd better get picking too. :shock:

I will leave them in and see what happens - after all, they aren't taking up much space! I have noticed that the peppers I put into pots have done better than the ones I planted in the beds near the aubergines, so maybe the tomatoes are sucking up all of the available light. One day the sun might shine!

Milly

My cucumbers have been too successful as well. I have some in the greenhouse and some outside (well, once you have raised them from seed you can't get rid of them). Every time I move a leaf there is another cucumber that has appeared from nowhere. Why couldn't the aubergines have been like that! It's easier to find recipes for aubergines than for yet another cucumber.

Milly