RobertPettifer

Newbie question.

I ordered a Beehaus the day it became available on the site. I've still not heard anything so I'm guessing they have an order backlog?

I have a bit of a newbiw question. I've bought a few books on beekeeping and looked into some local courses but couldn't find an answer to the question:-

We are half way into August and it will probably be into september before my beehaus has arrived and been setup. Is this too late in the year to order bees/nucleus? Any ideas where Omlet sources their bees from?

I don't really mind having a Beehaus as a garden ornament until next spring if that is the preferable option. But, I'd rather get some "girls" in it as soon as possible if at all practical.

If you are concered about delivery of your Beehaus, it would probably be best to call Omlet to check.

As for setting up bees at this time of year...I'm not sure, but I shouldn't think that the bees would have any stores to see them through the winter. I am not sure if feeding them would be enough. Hopefully an actual beekeeper will be along soon to advise.

I ordered a Beehaus the day it became available on the site. I've still not heard anything so I'm guessing they have an order backlog?

I have a bit of a newbiw question. I've bought a few books on beekeeping and looked into some local courses but couldn't find an answer to the question:-

We are half way into August and it will probably be into september before my beehaus has arrived and been setup. Is this too late in the year to order bees/nucleus? Any ideas where Omlet sources their bees from?

I don't really mind having a Beehaus as a garden ornament until next spring if that is the preferable option. But, I'd rather get some "girls" in it as soon as possible if at all practical.

oh my an expensive empty garden ormament(but you dont have it yet so lets hope not)

I think you need some help here Omlet customer services as said previously am sure will be able to help you re delivery dates, I think when I got my (cube green) I was given this information promptly, am sure at time of ordering, so had an idea how long I would have to wait as the products are very popular. Plus it gives you time to gather and prepare.

Someone that has expert Bee knowledge I am sure will be on to give you some good advice and you can ask Omlet when you speak to them where they source their bees from.

Hope you get on a Bee keeping course so experienced bee keepers can help you give the best care & support for your intended bees

good luck indie :o

Good advice above.......

Speak to Omlet about delivery and the bees they supply and start looking at courses or any apiary visits with local beekeepers. Courses are usually held during Winter/early Spring so that you are able to start keeping bees towards Summer.

There are plenty of beekeeping forums to have a look at as well.

We are half way into August and it will probably be into september before my beehaus has arrived and been setup. Is this too late in the year to order bees/nucleus?

Better to wait until spring. If you get a nuc now, it will be a liability (i.e. cost) until March or April - you will have to feed it through winter and there is always the chance that it may die off before spring.

Order a nuc for April/May delivery and look out for a swarm - they are free!

and look out for a swarm - they are free!

But much better for a newbie to know the provenance of the new stock. Evil tempered, diseased bees with all the wrong traits are not necessarily best value. With an unsolicited swarm you are taking a bit of a chance. You can be lucky, but.....

Regards, RAB

and look out for a swarm - they are free!

But much better for a newbie to know the provenance of the new stock. Evil tempered, diseased bees with all the wrong traits are not necessarily best value. With an unsolicited swarm you are taking a bit of a chance. You can be lucky, but.....

Well, I have caught dozens of swarms, had one that was bad-tempered but never a diseased one - whatever that would look like! A diseased colony is most unlikely to be in a condition to throw a swarm.

Anyway, be that as it may, a swarm is at least a cheap way to make your mistakes., with nucs running close to £100 on top of your £500 hive...

£600 buys a LOT of honey.

£600 buys a LOT of honey.

...but isn't the same are 'growing your own'....... :D:D

It certainly isn't, but considering that the designer of the beehaus, Robin Dartington, lost 50% of his own hives last winter, a beginner has to weigh up the potential costs and benefits before jumping in at this level.

When I was learning to drive, I had a car that was legal and sound but old and didn't cost a lot. I didn't go straight out and buy a Jaguar. It remains to be seen if the beehaus is a Jaguar or an Austin Allegro, of course, but if you are interested in bees rather than fashionable hives, it makes sense to hedge your bets.

d'ya know what..... I'm so bloomin' tempted to buy a whole bloomin' village of the things just to nark off the bloomin grumpy beeks that keep bloomin' telling everyone else what to do.

oh and Ill give my bloomin' daughter a bloomin' jaguar to learn to drive in just because I can cause I'm so bloomin' middle class and chattering like and I wear twin set and pearls.

(well i had to get it off my chest....)

We are half way into August and it will probably be into september before my beehaus has arrived and been setup. Is this too late in the year to order bees/nucleus?

Order a nuc for April/May delivery and look out for a swarm - they are free!

Thanks for all the replies. From what I read I thought I could theoretically order a nuc and feed it through the winter. I wasn't sure on the practicality of this, whether there were lots of nucs for sale at this time, etc.

One of the books I read had information about catching a swarm. I think I'll give it a miss for now :shock:

d'ya know what..... I'm so bloomin' tempted to buy a whole bloomin' village of the things just to nark off the bloomin grumpy beeks that keep bloomin' telling everyone else what to do.

I'm glad you got that off your chest.

And I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm just saying that you don't need to spend £600 to be a beekeeper. And keeping bees is not limited to people with that kind of money to burn.

What race are these bees Omlet is going to supply I wonder?

Well they must be local colony ones as thats what it says in the shop section and I believe Omlet are based Oxford way.

What is a good race to have as I dont know about these things and am taking all of this very useful information in? Any pointers here pdcambs?

Cheers indie :):)

I think they are sourcing British blacks at the moment, but are planning on using local British bees.

That would be fantastic if they are. Unfortunately I don't know any breeders of Amm (Apis melifera melifera - the black bee) most commercial breeders are importing queens, then making up nucs using british bred bees.

However, whatever bees they are offering with their Beehaus, it will need some good management to get them through the winter now; does the Beehaus come with an Apiguard eke that can be used for winter feeding of candy? (my bet is not!)

does the Beehaus come with an Apiguard eke that can be used for winter feeding of candy? (my bet is not!)

That would be a question to which ordinary forum members won't know the answer pdcambs. Best direct it and all other 'techical' questions to James or Johannes at Omlet.

does the Beehaus come with an Apiguard eke that can be used for winter feeding of candy? (my bet is not!)

That would be a question to which ordinary forum members won't know the answer pdcambs. Best direct it and all other 'techical' questions to James or Johannes at Omlet.

Oh, I thought we had some members here who were both beekeepers and had taken delivery of a Beehaus!

If you got a nuc soon after the beehaus then that would be mid-late Sept? So they wouldn't have a lot of time to build numbers up before the winter. Trying to overwinter a small number of bees in a full-sized hive (rather than a nucleaus hive) would be a risk - e.g not enough of them to keep the hive warm, difficult for them to build up in early spring. You could feed candy over the winter if you had to, but personally I always think you might as well keep your life pleasant and manageable! As a new beek keeping bees is a challenge enough without making it a near-impossible task.

It sounds like you've not handled colonies of bees before (or not often anyway) so I reckon you are best starting with a course which will allow you to do that. Then consider getting a nuc as fewer bees = less intimidating and easier to deal with; they'll build in numbers quickly in the spring/summer.

I don't know of any commercial supplier of AMM strains of bee, it all seems to be via local assoc's. Commercial bee suppliers are invariably importing from countries where the climate is more reliable! This could change of course, but if you want to be sure the bees are AMM and from the UK not imported, then I would check with Omlet before ordering bees from them.

I think there is a 3 week waiting list for the beehaus :? and not everyone who has a beehause will be an active member of the forum

cathy

x

Yes, I checked yesterday and the order I placed on 5th August is due around the first or second week of September. So, looks as if it is at least three or four weeks wait. (Presumably depending on colour, etc. also)