Sarah B

How long alone?

Hello,

I have an egg bound Tikka, she's been to the vets but nothing seems to be working to enable her to expel the egg.

If she does go to chicken heaven how long is it reasonable to leave Madras on her own? Do chickens really die of loneliness? They have been best friends since I got them from Omlet.

I would like 2 more hens but my husband dosent want anymore at all so if Tikka does go he wants Madras re-homed, it's a real dilemma.

Thanks

Sarah

I'm sorry to hear about Tikka :( . She may still recover so fingers crossed for her :pray: .

I believe a lone hen will be OK for a short while (I'm thinking days rather than weeks and weeks though :? ).

Can your OH not be talked round? It seems drastic to pack it in just because of one problem (which may work out anyway) :? . Three hens is no more work than one, imo.

She has always had problems with her eggs, hasnt passed an egg or a softie (which she does frequently) since Weds so she has been egg bound for over the allotted time - not looking good really. Bless her. She usually lays her softies in the eglu and even if she eats one in the free range patch she leaves the shell and there is nothing, plus vet could feel egg this morning.

I could talk OH round, but I'm quite worried re introducing 2 new young hens to Madras. I have seen articles on introducing 1 to 1 and 2 or more to 2 or more established hens, but is there anything on the site someone could point me to re 2 new to 1 established hen? Or even better some personal accounts of doing so?

To Aint "Ooops, word censored!"ody here, thanks for the advice so you reckon a couple of weeks max?

Thanks,

S x

sorry to hear about Tikka and i hope it all ends well, how do you know if a hen is eggbound ? what are the symptons ?

Usually only happens with a problem layer like my Tikka, but the obvious signs are sitting down listless, not too fussed about eating but will have treats, ruffled feathers, bottom raised slightly and a straining movement noticed in the tail and vent.

There is a good article on this from Egluntine in the chicken clinic.

I was going to ask if you're sure she's eggbound as my girls can sometimes go days without laying an egg but you say the vet can feel an egg?

Of course we may be jumping the gun as she could easily pass it and recover well but here's a quick search I did for introducing a lone hen (which I think covers adding 2 to 1 as well as 1 to 2!). As for the length of time, I think just as quickly as you can would be best.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/search.php?keywords=introducing+a+lone+hen&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I was going to ask if you're sure she's eggbound as my girls can sometimes go days without laying an egg but you say the vet can feel an egg?

Of course we may be jumping the gun as she could easily pass it and recover well but here's a quick search I did for introducing a lone hen (which I think covers adding 2 to 1 as well as 1 to 2!). As for the length of time, I think just as quickly as you can would be best.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/search.php?keywords=introducing+a+lone+hen&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Wow thanks for these links - giving me hope!!! Tikka is scratching about again! Yes it's very weird, she has all the signs of being egg bound with the sitting down and ruffled feathers and the straining, and the vet said he could feel the egg (not through the vent (like I couldn't either), but through a feel of the under tummy). I know she hasnt laid, I'm home all day at the moment.

I can only hope she pulls through - I love her.

S x

Can the vet definately feel an egg?

I only say this as I was convinced my 2 hens were egg bound but vet could not find an egg and their swollen, hot underbellies were perhaps sterile peritonitis or an infection caused by some underlying problem (ie. heart, tumours etc).

My swollen girls were given Baytril and diuretics and the got over the swelling ........ temporarily, but it now comes and goes. They don't lay anymore.