Guest Penguinmad

Hive Pictures

Its awful that this has become such a scary place- lets have a happy topic with hives we have seen/own. I was up at Hyde Hall yesterday and they now have bees here is the area

3840474834_c10d02a7b3.jpg

This is on the East Field which is where they hold all the childrens events - varied yesterday and a falconry display today.

There are 2 type of hive - this attractive looking one -

3839686919_3072ef3fee.jpg

And this rather ugly thing that looks like it was made from a load of old crates.

3839688899_8eb27a25d2.jpg

I'm hoping to see some Bee events up there in the future. It was a glorious day yesterday and we picniced by a lavendar hedge which is by the lower pond. It was abuzz with bees of various types and very pleasant to share the space with - unlike the wasps which were after our lunch the other day at Grays Beach!

I assume both hives were "with bee" :D

so, they dont mind where they live :D

can you imagine... so, where do you live? the boring white one, or the exciting multi-coloured one... :lol::lol::lol:

great photos, im going to have a look around the sunny north east and see if I can find some beeeeeeeeeeees :D

cathy

x

golly, your cats are very relaxed about the bees! What lovely pictures.

Here's mine:

DSC00611.jpg

Pengy, the two hives you've posted pics of are the WBC, which is the really pretty traditional one, and a National - the one that looks like a lot of crates.

I can tell I am now becoming a beekeeper, because six months ago, I would have been looking at the WBC and saying 'ooh that one's pretty'. Now I'm admiring the National and saying 'wow - three supers, bet there's loads of honey in there!' :wink:

Thanks Olly - I wondered which they were but my book had gone AWOL! Its nice to see the pictures, the shows how they look less crate like when they match!

Hark at me the garden looks like a bomb site 90% of the time. Yesterday I visited a house with a lovely big garden. It was all very neat, there were a load of garden toys scattered around, making it look more like mine, and then the couple started putting all of them away - perfection and neatness restored. Only thing they left on the lawn was their Rablu - which the rabbit doesn't even live in!

I look out at mine, 2 goal posts, various tools (full sized and toy!) strewn about, giant trampoline, giant pool, huge walk in run. The meadow seems to contain a disued swing, slide and Eglu run (and NO meadow flowers - I put down loads of seeds last year and it looked great - left everythign to go to seed but this year seen hardly any flowers). Whenever I mow I have to spend 10 mins clearing it all.

And here I am worried about hives not looking neat! The "crate" look is definately more in keeping with my garden than the neat plastic of the Beehaus!

I love the look of the WBC hives (the "proper beehivey" hives with the slanted roofs and slatted sides). But they're mean to be awkward to use because you've got to take the lifts off sides (the outside slanted, slatted-y bits)- they're double walled.

Mine fall into the category of "knackered old boxes stacked on top of each other"! But the bees like them, and they're out of sight and draw less attention that way..... (see how I can pretend to be a practical grown up!) :lol:

Crate' v 'attractive looking one

For those reading this who are not aware of the differences.

One might not be surprised to know that both are really very much the same inside.

The 'crate' will probably be much more comfortable than the 'attractive' one as it has more space available for the bees. Might be a tad more chilly in the winter.

One could conceivably put an 'overcoat' (or frock) on the 'crate' and make it look more attractive. Thing was (and is) they were designed for utility and simplicity with standardisation, from the preceeding designs, one of which was the 'attractive' one.

Utility - easier to use.

Simplicity - easier to make.

Standardisation - parts fully interchangeable. That is supers, brood boxes, floors, roofs, queen excluders and crownboards.

Regards, RAB

The 'crate' will probably be much more comfortable than the 'attractive' one as it has more space available for the bees.

thats not a surprise is it :D

a people carrier car is a lot more comfortable than a porche 911, but I know what I'd prefer on the drive :lol: (a total showoff?? me?? huh, never :liar: - shame the bank balance doesnt reflect this)

cathy

x

'Crate' v 'attractive looking one'

One could conceivably put an 'overcoat' (or frock) on the 'crate' and make it look more attractive. Thing was (and is) they were designed for utility and simplicity with standardisation, from the preceeding designs, one of which was the 'attractive' one.

or paint them so they all match rather than look like a ramshackle collection of crates. I'm loving Lesley's pastels and also loving that the roofs are nice for the cats to sit on.

This was taken in the Taurus Mountains in Northern Turkey when hubby and I were on a hiking trip two years ago.

3843007344_aef60cf058.jpg

This lovely old man spoke no English but was so happy to see us admiring his field of hives he sent us away with a piece of honey-dripping comb in a plastic bag. It was wonderful.

I can still taste it .......... Heaven :D:D:D

Wonderful pics everyone :D

That pic is incredible DA :clap:

Thanks Redwing.

We came over a hilltop and there they all were.

You could hear the buzzing from quite far.

I also remember finding a field of lavender at Heacham in Norfolk, tucked away from view half way up a hillside and the buzz from that was incredible. I wondered at the time why somebody hadn't put a few hives there.