snaps

diet in the winter

What do off lay hens need in the way of food? I give Lupin and Clover (Light Sussex) half a baked bean can of mixed corn and a bit less than half of layers pellets. They eat the corn first and the pellets later depending on what s"Ooops, word censored!"s they get. I only give them what they will eat in a day because of rats so it's clear what they are eating. Our last two hens gobbled up everything in sight but then they didn't really stop laying throughout their two year lives. Lupin and Clover are much pickier and will even leave tasty morsels like cake crumbs.

They free range over quite a big part of the garden so still get bits and pieces they peck for. Are layers pellets actually necessary if hens aren't laying? Or is the protein in them helping to build up their bodies for the next laying season?

Hi Snaps! It sounds like they're eating a high proportion of mixed corn, as compared to layers pellets. The normal advice is to give them layers pellets or mash first to fill them up, and then a little mixed corn as a treat later on. Are you sure they're not laying because they're not getting enough layers pellets?

Our chickens are hybrids, but when Maisy had her moult she only stopped laying for a short while - just a couple of weeks I think. Admittedly it was only a partial moult. If your chickens are moulting then its worth giving them extra protein: tinned tuna (with salt rinsed off) or cooked egg are fine. The protein is for feather production, as feathers are mostly protein.

Thanks Kannie. This morning I increased their layers pellets and the tuna seems a god idea. But I'm still confused about what causes them sometimes to lay in winter and sometimes not. Is it how quickly they grow all their feathers in which case I can see the need for higher protein? Or is it because of daylight hours in which case it doesn't really matter what they eat once their moult is complete as long as they've got plenty to fill up and keep warm?

Shall definitely be increasing the protein though.

And they have a tonic in their water.

I still give my girls their layers pellets every morning but also give them corn and mealworm treats in the afternoon to keep them warm and provide protein. I also still give them veg s"Ooops, word censored!"s after lunchtime just like I do in the summer. I also give a bit more poultry spice to help them through their moults.

I'm struggling a bit with this. I work fulltime which was fine before the nights drew in. I got home from work gave the girls corn etc for treats and they could free range for the evening.

But now its dark when i let them out and they are tucked up when I get home.

So, I've been keeping the grub filled with layers mash but the only way i can give them greens etc is to feed it in the morning. So, are they going to fill up on greens, s"Ooops, word censored!"s etc and not get enough mash. In the short term, I'm not concerned but i worry about the rest of the winter :?

Am sure other folk must have the same problem...

Same here Cabbagepatch (about the chooks that is, not the cat!)

Last winter I let them have a short run every morning while I was getting dressed. But since the fox visits earlier this year I dont like to do that. The poor hens have had hardly any treats (or runs) since the clocks went back.

I'm sure they'll survive though. I dont think the greens will fill them up, really, and they're eating more mash now its not pellets, :? if you see what I mean!

Same here as well.

It is still dark at 8am when I leave for work and dark again when I return home :(

I am hanging up greens in the morning and hiding corn under the woodchips and leaves.

My Hens are getting through nearly a grub full of mash everyday.

I do miss not being able to hand feed them in the evenings. That little pleasure has to wait until the weekend.

We have been giving layers mash in the morning and then treats in the afternoon ie corn/mealworms (which they absolutely love) I hope that is correct. We have found that they really go mad for lettuce and other greens but again we only give that in the afternoon.

I have to be content with making sure the grub is full of layers mash, putting greens in the run and throwing a handful of corn for them to dig for. They do love a bucketful of fallen leaves to scratch through!

By the way, i nipped into the local greengrocers this evening on the way home from work and asked if they had any greens left over for my girls (as my veggie plot is now denuded)....eg cabbage stumps and outer leaves etc.......

They filled three bags with sprouts and cabbages apparantly not able to sell tomorrow :shock: A terrible waste to think it would be thrown out, it all looks perfectly fine for human consumption to me. There are people starving in the world and all of this was destined for the skip....... :evil: