Chucky Mama

ideas for Christmas hampers

I don't visit this forum very often so please forgive me if this has been asked 1,000 times. I quite fancey giving homemade foodie Christmas gifts this year. Any ideas? I suppose my one thing would be that they need to have a reasonable shelf life. I have a brother in law that likes piccallili so I am wondering how easy that is to make, having said that he is the only one I know that does so I don't want to have to make a truck load of the stuff :lol:

first buy these which work out at 50p each

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40064702

then choose some recipes from here

http://www.recipe-recipes.net/seasoning/seasoning-mixes.htm

a lot of the ingredients you'll have anyway, e.g. I'm doing this one, amongst others...

http://www.recipe-recipes.net/seasoning/chefs-salt.htm

make a fancy label to tie round the neck of the jar with maybe some suggestions how to use; e.g "use in place of salt to add extra zing to soups and casseroles" etc etc

there's links at the bottom of the page to other yummy gift ideas too.

okay? :D

Poet I love the idea of spice mixes, my daughter is great at making labels too. Does it have on that site ideas of how to use the spices? I also like the bottles that you have linked to, maybe for flavoured olive oils if anyone has any good recipes for them.

just thought, we have an Asia Cash & Carry in Swindon that does huge bags of spices for much less than the supermarkets diddy little pots so it would be really cheap.

OK, so far I am thinking of onion marmalade, vanilla sugar, chef's salt, picallili, pickled onions, mincemeat, small jar of honey from a beekeeper friend, flavoured oil, small jar of homemade jam and am going to look at boiled sweets. Muffin mix like this for children:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2920/christmas-muffin-mix

That's the plan so far but still looking for things to add.

I made onion marmalade from the RC preserves book, it's lovely so think I'm keeping that for myself or I might make some more for hampers actually.

I've bought quite a few of those Ikea spice jars so will be doing a few of those spice mixes/rubs and the flavoured sugars; almond, lemon and vanilla.

I'm doing bottles of schnapps/liqueurs.

I've already made some jam; 'wild apple and elderberry' and 'boozy plum, apple and bramble' (made with the plums from the schnapps).

I've made some mango chutney using a marguerite patten recipe and it's lovely.

nearer the time I'll probably do some little biscuits or sweets, the puddini bon bons were a hit last year so will probably make more of those.

I'll be doing some flavoured oils and some spiced nuts from that site with the spice mixes too.

oh and some chilli jam, that was a huge hit last year!

not sure what else at the moment as I get ideas all the time so we'll see :D

oh yes, I got a huge basket of pears from a friend so will be making lots of pear and vanilla jam, I call it 'pear honey' as I think it tastes like honey :D I'm sure I'll make some pear chutney too as there's an awful lot of pears! :lol:

no, I was just going to google for some when I'm ready. Our ginger beer was a bit rubbish so I'm not bothering with that again.

you could get a beer kit and then bottle it?

'Milestone Olde Homewrecker' is lovely!!! It's about £14.99 for the kit and it makes 40 pints, you could then just buy some beer bottles and caps and a thingy majig that puts the caps on, your local home brew shop should be able to help.

I thought the onion marmalade recipe sounded really good and plan to make that very soon. Think I might double up the recipe as I think it might go down well.

Got my copy of RC preserves yesterday and have made a start this weekend with Strawberry Jam and Seasonal Chutney. Got lots more planned. Having a go at the blackberry and apple gin and think I will do the spiced cranberry vodka which I think is Cinnamons recipe. Chilli sauce is also a definate addition. Here is this weekends efforts. I have made my own labels this year on the pooter too.

yummystuff037.jpg

I thought the onion marmalade recipe sounded really good and plan to make that very soon. Think I might double up the recipe as I think it might go down well.

Got my copy of RC preserves yesterday and have made a start this weekend with Strawberry Jam and Seasonal Chutney. Got lots more planned. Having a go at the blackberry and apple gin and think I will do the spiced cranberry vodka which I think is Cinnamons recipe. Chilli sauce is also a definate addition. Here is this weekends efforts. I have made my own labels this year on the pooter too.

yummystuff037.jpg

Wow, looking extremley professional there :clap:

Where did you get your jars from please?

oh I forgot :lol:

Ive made some Apple and Ginger Jam today :D

its Zingy (with a capital ZZZ :lol: )

2 cups/300g of fresh ginger roots

8 apples

2 1/4 cups / 500ml water

5 cups/1kg sugar

1 tsp ginger powder

peel/cleanup/core fresh ginger roots and apples and whizz up in a food processor

put apples and ginger into large sauce pan, put in water and boil until ginger is soft.

put sugar in pan and cook for an extra half an hour, stir (but be carful, cos its a bit like vesuvious :shock::lol: )

next, stir in ginger powder and remove from the heat.

put into clean jam jars and seal

I warn you, its very gingery :D

ive put it into VERY small jars, cos I think i might get it back if I give people too much :lol:

cathy

x

Why Thankyou for the compliment Mrs T. I see what I can do regards Santa and Strawberry Jam :D

Ygerna, I get my jars from a bee supplier, eithr Thornes or Masemore Apiarys whichever has the best offers on at the time. We get them for honey but I get to pinch them to put my jam and chutney in. They are not very expensive but the postage makes them dear so watch out for the postage costs if you go down this route.

Cathy, I made some apple and ginger chutney once in a similar vein and food processed all the stuff to make it smooth. I bought a smooth chutney from some food fair I think and decided to try and re create it because it was yummy. It kind of came out like a very thick sauce and it was really lovley on cheese sandwiches. I never wrote down what I did though :(

ooh oh, I just remembered something else I am making for my hampers, Pot pouri (sp?).

I've been collecting fir cones on the walk to and from school as we pass some large fir trees. I've then been giving them a good soak in salt water, air drying them for a couple of days then popping them into sealable bags with drops of my chosen essential oils. I've also been drying orange slices in the oven to use too :D

The children have been very enthusiastic cone collectors :lol:

Well, so far this is what I have made, all with the help of the River COttage No 2 Preserves book (my new best friend).

Picallili

Onion Marmalade

Sweet Chilli Jelly

Pickled Onions

Strawberry Jam

Beetroot

All taste really scrummy :D I am going to have to make extra Sweet Chilli Jelly and Onion Marmalade as it is so nice we will be eating it all year ourselves.

I am not left with Vanilla Sugar (need to source some cheap pods). Barley Sugar and perhaps some spice bags. After Poet's post I will not be doing flavoured oils! I have had so much fun :D I got some collapsable boxes from Lidl that were £3 each and am going to decorate them with ribbon. I thought that they would be really useful for people afterwards around the house.

oh crikey, I'd forgotten the mincemeat, I haven't made it before but I am making some for us, don't think I will put it in my hampers though. My mum always used to make pickled onions and beetroots so this is all new to me but I am really enjoying it. I love shopping for Christmas presents but I am enjoying this more I think.

Just drained my spiced cranberry vodka and couldnt resist popping in my mouth one of the Gin soaked prunes. Perhaps a bit much for 9am in the morning as they are very potent :D

I have taken them out and put them in a container in the freezer as they are just asking to get covered in chocolate as a hamper addition. I did some chocolates out of last years rhubarb that had been soaked in Vodka. They were really yummy.

The Cranberry vodka tastes really good too :D

Better put the lid on or I will be on the floor :lol:

I've made Snowflake Rocky Road tonight as a trial run and some very pretty handmade gift boxes.

I'm ready to have a go at making home made marshmallows. The gelatine is already soaking - but I didn't count on the fact that I'd need the electric mixer (whisk) on for at least 15 mins..... As everyone is fast asleep in bed - it'll have to wait until morning. I'll likely need anotherlot of gelatine by then !

I usually make fudge in an array of flavours too.

With the chocolate coated fruit soaked in alchohol that's frozen... DO you dip in the chocolate when frozen or thawed ?