Kermit

New Hive Pictures

Many moons ago (when this was just bee chat, the beehaus was a Dartington and Ollie was having problems with a flat pack hive) I said I was building a hive. Well it is finally finished. The boss (Fiona aka Peaches) wanted it pretty, so I made up my own design gabled roof and painted it all pastels. All the other plans were from http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/newhome.html. Lots of other tips came from http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/ - Hedgerow Pete's videos are fantastic - informative and fun.

So here are some pictures:

DSCN1875.jpg

DSCN1868.jpg

DSCN1869.jpg

:mrgreen:

Oh, wow! So that's basically a National - but with a cute gabled roof! What a great idea, and I love the colours. Yes, I finally sorted out my flatpack with many bent nails and sore thumbs ... think I'll buy a readymade next time. I am so envious of your carpentry skills, that is a thing of beauty as well as a marvellous home for bees.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Cor Kermit, that's very posh :D , you and Peaches must be thrilled :clap::clap:

Olly, I can firmly recommend giving a flatpack hive to a 12 year old boy who likes to build things :D ......it took him the best part of a day to build all the frames, the roof and the brood box...he has yet to finish the supers as he's away at school most of the time and he had too much homework to do this last weekend, but time isn't a problem as we won't need it until next year anyway :wink:

Sha x

What a fabulous hive Kermit. Reminds me a bit of a beach hut (I mean that as a compliment). :D

That was the idea. Peaches likes cheery :D

The second hive is sat at school, as Thursday night was open evening for prospective pupils. The idea is that we may get a couple of hives next spring to add to the new school farm (already got chickens, allotments and sheep arriving soon). The second hive will be painted the same. Hence, pick up a cream bit and it will be a super. Blue bits are broods and lids. Then again I might go for the opposite :? .

Winter task is to build a couple of extra supers. 18mm plywood is quite cheap. I reckon the 2 hives have cost £60 total including paint, mesh floors etc.

Winter task is to build a couple of extra supers. 18mm plywood is quite cheap. I reckon the 2 hives have cost £60 total including paint, mesh floors etc.

That's really good value. I must look into building some hives of my own. Any chance of a pic of the mesh floor section on its own? :D

That's really good value. I must look into building some hives of my own. Any chance of a pic of the mesh floor section on its own? :D

I'll photograph the second one once I bring it back from school. I ripped off the idea from one I saw at Phil Braithwaite's shop/nursery.