Janepie33

Too Cold???

Hi

We are off to visit relatives for a couple of days soon and I don't like to ask friends or neighbours to let our girls out in the early hours, especially as everyone likes a lie in over Christmas. We were thinking of leaving the Eglu door open for a couple of days so Tilly & Lilly can pop in and out when they fancy. Although I am a bit worried that they might be too cold overnight.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Jane

Hi. I think it may be too cold for them - more the draught that would blow in. Are your chooks able to push the door open? You may be able to close it without pushing the lock down so they could push out in the morning, but someone would need to push it closed again for them in the evening!

Might not be so bad if the weather were a bit milder and the eglu in a sheltered spot! Don't know what else to suggest - hopefully someone else will have some ideas for you! :lol:

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but Lesley told me she doesn't shut her eglus at all. Her hens all look alive and well, so I would suggest you don't worry about it!

We went away for 2 nights in February when our chickens were quite new, and left the door open to give them (and sitter) independence. I didn't admit it for ages, I thought it would sound mean, but they were absolutely fine and I didn't worry at all, it felt to me to be the best option.

It makes a difference that we (incl. you) are in the milder S.East, I wouldn't know about further north.

Of course I had someone just check the girls, & refill feed/water. Esp. the water, to make sure it's not frozen. But, apart from that, I was quite happy & so were they, and the sitter was not restricted to a time.

Perhaps bear in mind sheltered position if poss, and I put out extra food & water stations in case of emergency.

So, I'd relax & have a great time, but of course that's only my opinion. :)

Last winter I accidentally locked two of my chickens out of the eglu for the night (they must have come running out when the security light came on when I went out to shut the door), and they were perfectly fine the next morning - they were in the huff with me, but they were fine, and they didnlt even have the benefit of having a shelter for the night. They must have snuggled together and shared body heat - and we're up in chilly Scotland! As long as you have someone to refill the water, and the eglu is in a sheltered psition, I would imagine that they should be ok, as long as it's not for too long.

As Ginette said, we don't shut any of our Eglu doors, but we do have more than 2 hens these days, although I have left the door ever since we did have just 2 :)

Just make sure it is as sheltered as you can get it and facing away from any north easterly wind you may get. Make sure thay have plenty of fodd and water in a container which cannot be knocked over and they will be fine.

They are wearing feathery duvets of their own! :wink:

I don't shut the door of our girls house - not an eglu tho as they wouldn't all fit in one! They all seem fine and actualy love their 'independance'.......being able to get up in the morning whenever they want and potter around....means i don't have to get up rediculously early either!

Just to add my two peneth, I'm sure they will be fine for a few days, even if the temperatures drop near to zero. Where I would urge caution is in the spring - nothing to do with the temperatures, everything to do with foxes and their new born cubs (which need feeding). If your chooks are shut up tight in their coop from dusk till dawn they will be much, much, safer. We had a bad experience earlier this year when a fox dug through loose soil underneath our eglu run and took both our girls. They would have still been with us today if only I'd shut the eglu door the night before.

We've created a much sturdier environment for our new chooks, but now always shut them in each night when we're at home, and trust that our re-enforcements will provide a safe haven on the occasions when we leave our new girls to fend for themselves at night.

Andrew