Donna_0 Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 Morning all! I have a little worry and am wondering if anyone could help... We have had our two pekin's just over a week now, and all has been fine apart from the odd sneeze (every hen we've had has sneezed..not sure if it's when they get to their mash and inhale it!!) I have been letting the girls sleep in a box inside on an evening, and have made a run for them next to our , as we have two bantams that live in henny villa so going through intro's. Anyway I got them up this morning and there was some runny poop in the box, one had blood on it. In the 18 months we have kept chickens, I have never come across this (many varieties of poo though!) I wondered if they would need worming or wether it was a vets job? Will be gutted if I have to go to vets so soon as I've just got them and the vet is expensive :0( They both seem full of beans and gaining in confidence, has anyone else experienced this? Also glad that i've kept them seperate from the others.. Donna -Silkie/poland- Lady Penelopy -Silkie/poland- Poppy - Pekin Bantam-Fleur - Pekin Bantam- Little Pickle Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
whoopsie Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 Actually Donna yes I have noticed what i thought to be blood in poo, and i haven't had mine for long. They are both very active but I do think one of them is a bit thin. I don't know when is the best time to start worming them - does anyone know? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JanTheDiver Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 Me too. We have had ours about 6 weeks now and twice I have notice a bit of blood in runny poo. They all seem fit and healthy and run around like mad hens when I let them into the play pen so I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I haven't wormed mine yet, but they are not acting as if they need it. Should you worm them as a matter of course : Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 Yes you do need a regular worming routine and which one you choose is up to you. There are a number of choices from Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) or cloves of garlic in their water, to Verm-x for 4 days every month to Flubenvet every spring and autum. I'm pretty sure there's a sticky on the subject somewhere on the forum to help you. Occasionally you do find that chickens excrete a little gut lining, which looks scarily like blood too. It's more common in growers - I'm not sure how old your's are. It can also be a sign of something else - worms or coccidiosis to name but two. There is another thread here about scary poos!!! Hopefully someone who knows where it is can post a link here for you. It'll help you identify whether you have a problem or not. HTH Jools Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 We worm ours every 3 months - whether there are any obvious symptons or not. Running around the garden eating slugs and worms ( ) they are bound to pick up the eggs at some point. We use Flubenvet. Easy to administer, no egg withdrawal, and we have seen the evidence in their poo of it working... I don't believe in giving out medication for no apparent reason - but worming regularly seems to be a generally good thing to do, and helps keeps the chooks healthy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jimnpaula Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 See here for pics of poo. P Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 See here for pics of poo. P Where else could you get away with posting a line like that! Don't you just love chicken talk. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 They can get a bit squitty when new and stressed. I give a little probiotic powder but it should settle. Worming is a good idea. Flubenvet would be the best thing for you to use. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
whoopsie Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 Mad but it worked! Thanks Paula, it's all normal poo! Hurrah! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna_0 Posted October 15, 2009 Author Share Posted October 15, 2009 Thanks all... I called the vet today and she said to just monitor it first. I have given them all flubenvet on soggy mealworms so fingers crossed that will solve the problem -Silkie/poland- Lady Penelope & Poppy -Pekin Bantams- Fleur & Little Pickle Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 I understand its better to mix it with their pellets so they get it throughout the day. Flubenvet may not be effective just given like that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 15, 2009 Share Posted October 15, 2009 It also needs to be given for a whole week, not all in one go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna_0 Posted October 15, 2009 Author Share Posted October 15, 2009 OOhhh I've been doing worming like that previously using grapes Thanks for that I will add it to their mash this week then (probably better as they were a bit weary of the medicated mealworms!) Wil let you know of the outcome..might be useful for others who experience this and get themselves in a tizz like me! -Silky/Poland- Lady Penelope & Poppy - Pekin Bantam- Fleur & Little Pickle Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted October 16, 2009 Share Posted October 16, 2009 You definately need to worm as per the instructions in medicated feed over 7 days. It is designed to be fed for a week and should be in the system thoughout the day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...