Janepie33

A bit cross!!

In August our next door neighbour's cat had 4 kittens. We said that we would give a home to one of them and duly took charge of it in October when it was 8 weeks old.

We kept it in for a while and had it vaccinated (our neighbour did not have the mother vaccinated - she grew up on a farm in Poland where her family treated cats differently to the way our family does).

Since we have been letting our cat out into the wide world, he spends a great deal of time with his mother in the house nest door. I didn't really mind this as they have youngish children next door and they love to see our kitten playing. We have to go round each night to ask if we can have the kitten back.

Today, I found out that the family are feeding our kitten on a regular basis. Feeding him chicken and fish, no wonder he doesn't want to come home for his Felix and Whiskers!

I am a bit cross that we are paying all the vet's fees and not getting to see our kitten.

Not sure how to tackle this situation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I do shut him in when we get him back but he just yells to be let out again, especially when his mother is sitting outside the cat flap. Plus the mother keeps coming in and terrorising my other 2 cats, so much so that my 2nd cat is so upset she has started weeing around the house.

We get on so well with our neighbours and I don't want to fall out with them over a kitten, but I think I will have to bite the bullet and ask them to stop feeding him. Hopefully the appeal will wear off once he has grown up and is not so cute. They had the chance to keep one of the kittens, but bribed their children with £20 each to give them all away. I suppose they see it as a bonus that they still sort of have a kitten, but he's OURS! :x

Poor you... I'd be furious if I was you!!

I think I'd have to have a word and ask them to stop feeding him. You could try the 'special diet' line but I would be inclined to just explain that you're happy for him to visit but that feeding him must be very confusing for him as he won't feel settled in his own home!

Best of luck...

What a pain! Mum will get bored though, tends to be very sudden and brutal. We had a kitten come back to us, because his new owner's couldn't keep him and all was fine for a week or so and then mum belted him round the ear and was simply horrid to him until he went to a new new home.

I can see how it's terribly awkward, at least I don't like the people who are feeding my cats ;) You could try treating him a bit as well every time he comes home. I've discovered Webbox sticks, sold in Sainsburys, and my cats adore them. A pack lasts a while (well I do have five cats) and it was a big part of my plan to lure home Minnie. Every time she came in or I brought her in, I would give her and the other cats a treat of some kind and then get out her dangly toy and play with her for a little while. It might help beat the lure of mum next door.

personally i wouldn't lie about 'special diets', I think the advice below is spot on!

Poor you... I'd be furious if I was you!!

I think I'd have to have a word and ask them to stop feeding him. You could try the 'special diet' line but I would be inclined to just explain that you're happy for him to visit but that feeding him must be very confusing for him as he won't feel settled in his own home!

Best of luck...

hey, firstly are you planning on neuturing him? Or is his mum speyed? He will breed with her once he reachs sexual maturity so thats something to think about

I do think you either need to be honest with your neighbour and tell her to stop feeding your cat, if she doesnt listen then use the special diet line, tha should work.

People used to feed my animals and i hated it, my dog has such a sensitive tummy that if someone even feeds him something small he suffers - not nice for him

good luck x