ChookieCaz

Unusual Unexpected Visitor!

:o Around 1.30 pm, I heard a strange squawk in the back-garden, but not quite like one of the hens. I saw something darker than Rosie's colouring and soon discovered its a pheasant :!: !

I've been able to go in the garden and scatter some chicken-corn without scaring him off, but our hens do seem to be bothered by him. :( He's still there as I type.

Any other town dwellers been had similar visitors :?:

I am a bit more rural than you & can honestly say that Pheasants are the most stupid creatures to walk this earth.

There is an estate near me & they have a pheasant hatchery to give them all something to shoot at :roll:

So the whole village is scattered with dumb pheasants standing by the side of the road,just waiting to get run over.

I am NOT exaggerating - I can see 3 now from my office window,just willing a nice car to come along & see them off :?

Also,not to put you off taming it a bit,but they are disease ridden & I know of a man who caught something very nasty from handling a wild pheasant :shock:

I am a bit more rural than you & can honestly say that Pheasants are the most stupid creatures to walk this earth.

There is an estate near me & they have a pheasant hatchery to give them all something to shoot at :roll:

So the whole village is scattered with dumb pheasants standing by the side of the road,just waiting to get run over.

I am NOT exaggerating - I can see 3 now from my office window,just willing a nice car to come along & see them off :?

Same story here, there are loads of farms here that breed these suicidal birds. They're always near or in the roads. I even once had one in the road walking towards my speeding car! Fortunately it was a deserted country lane and I could stop while he carried on walking towards me looking carefree :lol:

We used to have a totally green pheasant that visited us but he disappeared, to be replaced by a normal feathered chap.

This year "our" pheasant became really tame and would strut his stuff very noisily on the lawn. He spent his moulting time in our hedge and looked really bedraggled. He went missing for three days then came limping badly to our back door.

I managed to catch him, check him over (he'd obviously been run over but had no bones broken) and give him a shot of pain killer and antibiotic. He seemed in good nick otherwise and didn't have any parasites.

He's still here in our garden in full war paint. DH can feed him but he steers clear of me :( He's never bothered the hens and they ignore him.

He gets flubenvet when I do the girls.

They keep pheasants at the golf club where DD's work but when they go wandering up the driveway they do seem to look out for the cars. There is one with a limp who the girls have called Brian :lol: The chef would like to serve pheasant but he's banned from doing so as it's the club mascot.

Whilst I might be inclined to pit a sheep's stupidity against a pheasant's, I'll admit it'd be pretty close run either way. However, they're not popular in the Bloodnock household since they're rather partial to our allotment.

Nonetheless, legally speaking, a pheasant is my property whilst it's on my land, so I'm not above a bit of quid pro quo to the benefit of the stock pot, and hence can keep my dislike of invasive and destructive pheasants in proportion :wink: .

First of all, I'd like to thank the Administrators for moving this to a more suitable place.

My Mum suggested that the pheasant may come back now that he's found somewhere with food. She also suggested catching him and ringing his neck :!: I think she would be willing to pluck him. However, I'm not that desperate for a pheasant dinner.

It still seems strange to have him visit the middle of a housing estate, although we are between the A4 Bath Road and the Kennet/Kennet & Avon Canal/Holybrook. There are also some allotments nearby.