feemcg

Funny Chooks This Morning!

Anna went off to school then I heard the girls making loads of noise (usually "theres a cat watching us" noise) and i dived out the back to see Beauty and Iona standing looking inside the eglu, squawking loudly. Looked in and theres nothing there but a very pooey nest! So I get my rubber gloves, poly bag and straw and clean out the nest, the 2 girls at my elbow the whole time. As soon as its done they BOTH climb into the nest, shuffle about then lay, while I'm still watching! They must have been desperate!

Aawww how lovely.

My chooks regard egg-laying as a very private thing. And if they are on the nest and I inadvetantly stray into the garden they abandon their task to see if I have any treats. One day I am sure I will see an egg fall out as they come running....

Aawww how lovely.

My chooks regard egg-laying as a very private thing. And if they are on the nest and I inadvetantly stray into the garden they abandon their task to see if I have any treats. One day I am sure I will see an egg fall out as they come running....

That happened to me once Tina :shock:

Betty was in the run and I gave them a treat and Wilma shot out of the Eglu and an egg which was halfway out already plopped onto the grass :lol:

I've never seen them do this before and sometimes they have no choice - if I'm early shift I don't check the nest and come home to pooey eggs! Maybe they spotted me at the window and thought "Right, lets just shout on her and see if she comes - then we won't need to lay in THAT!". Nice to know they've got standards - especially as my house-keeping standards have seriously slipped since I got them! ( I'm either outside with them or on here! )