Egzandra

Any wood restoration tips, anyone?

This is an update on my last post, which was telling everyone I had inherited my mother's Singer Treadle. I have got it now, and someone is coming this Thursday to give the machine an overhaul. I don't think there is much wrong with it, hopefully just needs a good clean and oiling.

But the woodwork which is oak, looks a bit worse for wear, people have put hot mugs on it and there are white rings and marks which need sorting out, also the wood has got a mildly ridged feel to it. Has anyone got any tips for restoring wood, or should I get it french polished by a professional?

Thank you, in advance.

Egzandra

If it's got white rings, that is probably because it has a waxed finish rather than varnish. I've done loads of varnished stuff in the past, but never had the courage to attempt a waxed/oiled piece! Also, the wood may be a fine veneer in which case any sanding may strip away the quality veneer to a different type of wood underneath. Unless someone here knows about french polishing (it can be done!) it may be preferable to seek professional help. :D

Thanks for that, Snowy. To me the wood looks solid, but I can't be sure and I would not want to take the veneer off. I've left a message on my original posting to see if Mrs Frugal knows whether the wood is solid or a veneer, she has a similar Singer which she has sent me a lovely picture of.

I would not mind having a go at restoring the wood myself, although maybe I should wait for a professional to do it - I know someone who might.